Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    While I’m worried about the sheer amount of cameos already confirmed for Superman Legacy, I’m very happy that Hawkgirl will be included from the start. It’s nice to see that not everything will revolve around the usual suspects.
    And it makes sense that Hawkgirl is Kendra. She’s a more independent character and they could always introduce Hawkwoman and Hawkman as a couple when they get to the JSA.
    I was concerned about the amount of cameos too, but like how Gunn framed it as Superman being an established hero in a world where other heroes exist.

Incredible Member

Hawkgirl's Jadzia Axelrod Teases A Fresh Direction & A Brand New DC Comics Star - Exclusive Interview

https://www.looper.com/1341433/hawkg...tar-interview/

I enjoyed the first issue. It didn’t convince me on the Metropolis setting (Superman and PG could have shown up even without it and there was no real explanation why she chose Metropolis in particular), but at least she’s getting her own supporting cast.
    I also liked that she gets her own new villain that’s not connected to the other hawks.
    I do hope the series starts to build up what Hawkgirl’s niche in the DCU is supposed to be. So far she comes off as a hero still trying to figure her life out, but I really want her to have a unique purpose and role.
    I have some minor nitpicks like the weird animosity towards Black Canary or my pet peeve that they shouldn’t put so much emphasis on her relationship with Carter now that Hawkwoman is back. If it was up to me she’d be liberated from all reincarnation memories, that should be Shiera/Shayera’s thing.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I really wasn't a fan of the first issue all that much. It could be that the character of Galaxy fell really flat with me and it seems she will have, if based on the first issue...as much a presence as Hawkgirl. Out of the twenty pages, Kendra was featured in only 13 of them and 9 were Galaxy focused. It felt more like a backdoor for a Galaxy series than Hawkgirl. The art was lovely though, but not enough to make me want to spend money on the rest of the series.

Amazing Member

I knew this book wasn’t going to be for me the moment I read this.

IMG_2536.jpg

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bossofbam View Post

IMG_2536.jpg
    What do you mean? I think it's a reference to Dark Nights Metal and how the comic and Kendra in this comic was a mess and had nothing to do with the pre-52 version

Quote Originally Posted by bossofbam View Post

IMG_2536.jpg
    I haven't followed Kendra throughout her career - what happened with the Blackhawks?

-- I like the framing device narration, I like the villain and her story with Maureen
    -- I like the reminder that Kendra and Canary were in the JSA together. It seems like the others are a little extra conscious of her state of mind given her previous mental health issues.
    -- I like Kendra and how she's being presented thus far where it seems she's staunchly independent, but hiding that she's a bit of a directionless mess.
    -- It seems Galaxy will be a big part of this book and ... that might be a problem. I can imagine getting annoyed with her if she pulls too much focus away from Kendra.
    -- Speaking of focus, for a first issue there's a lot of characters. Even with the villain and Maureen, and Galaxy and her girlfriend(?) We get a big info-dump from Kendra's old friend from college who I guess is going to be a supporting character?
    -- Nice namedrop for Dreamer.
    -- It's an interesting choice to depict Kendra as built like a bodybuilder. I keep thinking she's more Big Barda than Hawkgirl. Still, it's doesn't not fit her since her main attack relies on arm strength.

Overall, I'm intrigued by the villain and I like how Kendra's depicted. I also like the art. Galaxy's the only possible detraction as I can imagine her becoming annoying, but the jury's still out.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-19-2023 at 06:58 AM.

The Blackhawk thing was always so random and disappointing for Lady Blackhawk fans.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Read it, its a decent read, cool to read a book about Kendra and she looks gorgeous here. Galaxy is decent but yeah I wouldn't want her in this book too much at Kendra's expensive.

Something that disappoints me is Jesus I should have expected this, but the fucking reaction from that "particular group of people". The comment section I read the book on was just filled with so much transphobia and homophobia, especially directed at the author.

I know the book can very well not be that good, but fucking Hell seeing the shit people can write remains disheartening as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Read it, its a decent read, cool to read a book about Kendra and she looks gorgeous here. Galaxy is decent but yeah I wouldn't want her in this book too much at Kendra's expensive.

Something that disappoints me is Jesus I should have expected this, but the fucking reaction from that "particular group of people". The comment section I read the book on was just filled with so much transphobia and homophobia, especially directed at the author.

I know the book can very well not be that good, but fucking Hell seeing the shit people can write remains disheartening as always.
    That's awful. I mean, I can see the author playing favorites with Galaxy for obvious reasons but she or the character don't deserve that .

I'm surprised they're still acknowledging the Carter/Kendra thing. One of the most WTF relationships in comics.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I haven't followed Kendra throughout her career - what happened with the Blackhawks?

-- I like the framing device narration, I like the villain and her story with Maureen
    -- I like the reminder that Kendra and Canary were in the JSA together. It seems like the others are a little extra conscious of her state of mind given her previous mental health issues.
    -- I like Kendra and how she's being presented thus far where it seems she's staunchly independent, but hiding that she's a bit of a directionless mess.
    -- It seems Galaxy will be a big part of this book and ... that might be a problem. I can imagine getting annoyed with her if she pulls too much focus away from Kendra.
    -- Speaking of focus, for a first issue there's a lot of characters. Even with the villain and Maureen, and Galaxy and her girlfriend(?) We get a big info-dump from Kendra's old friend from college who I guess is going to be a supporting character?
    -- Nice namedrop for Dreamer.
    -- It's an interesting choice to depict Kendra as built like a bodybuilder. I keep thinking she's more Big Barda than Hawkgirl. Still, it's doesn't not fit her since her main attack relies on arm strength.

Overall, I'm intrigued by the villain and I like how Kendra's depicted. I also like the art. Galaxy's the only possible detraction as I can imagine her becoming annoying, but the jury's still out.
    Superman saying "it was a whole thing." It took me out of the story immediately. It reads like a bad Bendis imitation and I dislike actual Bendis writing enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'm surprised they're still acknowledging the Carter/Kendra thing. One of the most WTF relationships in comics.
    It was basically just a reincarnated lovers will they or won't they but I guess your mileage may vary as to whether it was executed well.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Agreed. It should be confirmed that “Kendra” was only ever truly interested in Carter when her body was inhabited by Shayera’s spirit. Once she was fully herself again (after Shiera was resurrected), Kendra would move on from him (and from the memories of past lives) to never look back at that whole mess.
    To me Kendra should be removed from the reincarnation logic as much as possible. She was only briefly brought into that cycle because Shayera Hol had died and when Kendra tried to end her own life, Shayera’s spirit inadvertently used her as a vessel for a short time because of Kendra’s family connection to Shiera Hall. Once Shayera’s body was revived, Kendra should have been able to move on with her own life. She shouldn’t be yet another version of Shiera/Shayera, but a separate person whose life briefly entangled with the reincarnation of her great-aunt Shiera Hall.
    This would give us a cleaner distinction betwen Shayera and Kendra:
    - Shayera Hol (Hawkwoman) would keep on being the sole present-day reincarnation of Chay-Ara and Shiera Hall, partner of Hawkman and JSA member. She’d have some memories of past lives.
    - Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl) would be an independent hero inspired by her great-aunt Shiera Hall and member of the Justice League. She’d have no memories of past lives.
    Ideally they’d also live in separate cities but would share a close bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It was basically just a reincarnated lovers will they or won't they but I guess your mileage may vary as to whether it was executed well.
    Considering that Carter was an ancient man with grandchildren creepily pursuing a 19 year old traumatized grandniece of his dead lover...Yeah, she was possessed by the soul of Shiera at the time, but the whole thing continued even after it left Kendra's body. Not to mention the absolutely maddening resolution in the Blackest Night, in which Kendra dies, but Carter doesn't seem to care because he got Shiera back instead. From which we can assume that he never actually saw Kendra as her own person, but merely as a vessel.