Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    They're probably rejoicing the diversity that there are two people of color as major characters.

Instead, people want to auto-jump to racism.
    At last someone else other than me finally gets it ! Zoomers tsk tsk tsk

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

After some time to really take in the implications of what's on that page...It's all very ambiguous right now so I'll wait until ELE actually confirms her heritage...I won't be mad, either way, it's an interesting retcon to say the least.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    After some time to really take in the implications of what's on that page...It's all very ambiguous right now so I'll wait until ELE actually confirms her heritage...I won't be mad, either way.
    Whatever it is it better be worth it, retcons can be very detrimental
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post

Regardless… petition to replace Deadpool w/ Monica on the new Uncanny Avengers.
    I support!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Can someone blow up these panels? I’ve been squinting for 10 minutes straight and can’t read a thing.

Regardless… petition to replace Deadpool w/ Monica on the new Uncanny Avengers.
    I'm in!!! I will absolutely buy, if that happens.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I still have to read this too. Been busy.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Why the heck would you put the spoiler in the subject title?

It's not a spoiler...of anything, actually.

If anything, it's a grossly misleading subject title.

Those panels make her look like a mutant…

Astonishing Member

Does beyonder have anything to do with mutants. (Don’t know much about him) Since she seems to be talking to him specifically?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Does beyonder have anything to do with mutants. (Don’t know much about him) Since she seems to be talking to him specifically?
    In older stories, a lot. In more recent takes, as in the Hickman era of Avengers and Fantastic Four as much as X-Men...not so much.

But historically, when there was just focus on one Beyonder, he had a LOT to do with mutants, and a particular fascination with them, focusing a lot of his observations and experiments on mutants like Magneto and even Toad.....and in X-Men Forever, the miniseries that first talked about Jean and Bobby as omega mutants, the Beyonder was the primary antagonist of that mini. His whole thing was that mutants were an example of a Celestial-seeded race intended or hoped by the Celestials to someday evolve into or produce beings who could rise to the level of Abstracts and become part of the life cycle of universes, ending this one and starting the next one.

Omega level mutants in their initial concept (disregarding the couple prior occasions when omega level mutants was used as terminology by Sentinels to describe high-tier mutant threats) basically the original story about omegas was that they were the fulfillment of the Celestials' grand design, baby Abstracts so to speak....mutants with unlimited potential to continue to grow and evolve without end, until they reached stages where they became beings like well, the Phoenix. (Though to be clear, this degree of these individuals' evolution was supposed to happen over thousands, even MILLIONS of years, hence why it was a key part of the early omega concept that omegas were either naturally immortal or capable of transcending physical form and continuing to exist after they 'died.')

And the Beyonder's whole thing in X-Men Forever was that once he figured this out, he started considering all mutants to be undeserving usurpers of the kind of power and role he felt HE should have in the life cycle of universes, and he wanted to hijack and otherwise stamp out this potential for unlimited mutant evolution and find a way to essentially take their place within the Celestials' grand design.

Obviously, the many, MANY changes made to the Beyonder concept since then, like them being a whole race, make a lot of that a moot point, but still interesting to consider I think. If nothing else, there is precedent for a Beyonder to be fixated on mutants, as a species and specific individuals in particular.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 03-24-2023 at 04:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

What could the cursed "word" be though, if not mutant? This is hinting pretty heavily at it but it could just as easily be misdirection.

Also, Marvel Comics have a hilariously bad track record when trying to retcon a character's history before their movie hits: before the Captain Marvel movie debuted, all promo materials indicated quite clearly that she was an alien. Then the movie's twist and indeed one of the crucial revelations was that Carol was indeed human, and received her powers in a way that was fairly similar to the original comics. In the comics however they went straight ahead and revealed she's half-alien, which to me felt like they were trying to align Carol to her movie counterpart however only based on the marketing materials.

So I don't know what the plan for Monica is here however as a fan of the character and considering she's not really used by the Avengers office anymore and can't sustain an ongoing solo, I would be happy to welcome her to mutantdom and to an X-team.

Extraordinary Member

For anyone who just saw these pages and nothing else, the story contains a lot of meetups with Doctor Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    In older stories, a lot. In more recent takes, as in the Hickman era of Avengers and Fantastic Four as much as X-Men...not so much.

But historically, when there was just focus on one Beyonder, he had a LOT to do with mutants, and a particular fascination with them, focusing a lot of his observations and experiments on mutants like Magneto and even Toad.....and in X-Men Forever, the miniseries that first talked about Jean and Bobby as omega mutants, the Beyonder was the primary antagonist of that mini. His whole thing was that mutants were an example of a Celestial-seeded race intended or hoped by the Celestials to someday evolve into or produce beings who could rise to the level of Abstracts and become part of the life cycle of universes, ending this one and starting the next one.

Omega level mutants in their initial concept (disregarding the couple prior occasions when omega level mutants was used as terminology by Sentinels to describe high-tier mutant threats) basically the original story about omegas was that they were the fulfillment of the Celestials' grand design, baby Abstracts so to speak....mutants with unlimited potential to continue to grow and evolve without end, until they reached stages where they became beings like well, the Phoenix. (Though to be clear, this degree of these individuals' evolution was supposed to happen over thousands, even MILLIONS of years, hence why it was a key part of the early omega concept that omegas were either naturally immortal or capable of transcending physical form and continuing to exist after they 'died.')

And the Beyonder's whole thing in X-Men Forever was that once he figured this out, he started considering all mutants to be undeserving usurpers of the kind of power and role he felt HE should have in the life cycle of universes, and he wanted to hijack and otherwise stamp out this potential for unlimited mutant evolution and find a way to essentially take their place within the Celestials' grand design.

Obviously, the many, MANY changes made to the Beyonder concept since then, like them being a whole race, make a lot of that a moot point, but still interesting to consider I think. If nothing else, there is precedent for a Beyonder to be fixated on mutants, as a species and specific individuals in particular.
    It wasnt the Beyonder, it was the Stranger a different character altogether

Last edited by Daedra; 03-25-2023 at 02:35 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Monica will by default become the 2nd most prominent black woman mutant if it's confirmed she's an X-Gene carrier.

That sounds great on paper but as a Monet fan, I'm concerned. Even though Monet and Monica can coexist perfectly and actually have excellent dynamics together on an X-team, we know how averse X-Editorial is to focusing on multiple black women characters at the same time.