Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Mutant or not this was a fun issue. Though having read it it does strongly imply that monica could be a mutant, i mean unless there is a cocoon or something next issue. Either way looking forward to the next issue.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    …I don’t really think it’s a good idea to leave it cannon that Monica killed dogs when she was a kid…
    She didn't go around the neighborhood killing strays just because they were annoying. She scorched one annoyingly noisy yap-yap.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    But they would have to completely ignore/disregard a lot of very important canon...important to mutants...to make turning her into a mutant now, make any sense. Not to mention how damaging it would be for the character.

She hid her abilities throughout her entire childhood and early adulthood...then "gained" power when she was a full adult...and then willfully decided to completely hide the fact that she was a mutant from EVERYbody for all these years, all this time?

That would actually make her one of the biggest hypocrites ever in the MU.
    Damaging ? Not at all ! You forget , Marvel Comics has historically always been about “Putting the ‘Character’ Back in Comics” (official Marvel in-house promo campaign around 1995/96 and such Marvel Character is defined by them as being “Heroes with Problems” (Stan Lee’s own original official company mission-vision for Marvel) and “Broken Toys” (Joe Quesada expressly said it in a prominent interview when he was still EIC), so making Monica a coward & hypocrite would be on-brand for Marvel as it would make her Complexicated and thus Interesting LOL

But personally I would prefer that Monica be retconned as being half-Kree with her mother being secretly a Kree supersoldier just like the mother of Carol , except that this time, her mom is Blue Kree, instead of Pink Kree, since Monica is Black/African after all, and thus analogous to Blue Kree, being both the older races of their respective species

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by EldonMaguan View Post
    Damaging ? Not at all ! You forget , Marvel Comics has historically always been about “Putting the ‘Character’ Back in Comics” (official Marvel in-house promo campaign around 1995/96 and such Marvel Character is defined by them as being “Heroes with Problems” (Stan Lee’s own original official company mission-vision for Marvel) and “Broken Toys” (Joe Quesada expressly said it in a prominent interview when he was still EIC), so making Monica a coward & hypocrite would be on-brand for Marvel as it would make her Complexicated and thus Interesting LOL

But personally I would prefer that Monica be retconned as being half-Kree with her mother being secretly a Kree supersoldier just like the mother of Carol , except that this time, her mom is Blue Kree, instead of Pink Kree, since Monica is Black/African after all, and thus analogous to Blue Kree, being both the older races of their respective species
    So, basically, a Blue female Kree comes to Earth deceivingly disguised as a Black woman named Maria and settles in New Orleans, marries a local Black man named Frank Rambeau, and two years later Maria gives birth to a hybrid daughter who they named Monica? That's even more incredulous than Carol's retcon being a Human/Kree hybrid. At least Monica's, yet to be confirmed, status as a mutant is plausible being that cannon depicts both her parent as being African Americans and baseline humans give birth to mutants all the time. But, hey, as it stands that is merely my personal take on it.
    Last edited by Micabe; 04-01-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Huh? What? Wait... The little yapper didn't die. Monica just scorch him/her until it stopped barking.
    She didn't go around the neighborhood killing strays just because they were annoying. She scorched one annoyingly noisy yap-yap.
    The previous page was literally talking about killing…but ok, I go with your guy’s interpretation. Original point still stand, I don’t think it’s a good idea to keep cannon that Monica burned dogs as a kid. Even ‘annoying’ dogs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    The previous page was literally talking about killing…but ok, I go with your guy’s interpretation. Original point still stand, I don’t think it’s a good idea to keep cannon that Monica burned dogs as a kid. Even ‘annoying’ dogs.
    Well, if broad daylight dog abuse (committed by an adolescent Monica Rambeau), needs to be canonically stricken from continuity then, Emma Frost should be (at the request of Angelica Jones), thrown in the Krakoan Pit for the telepathic murder of Angelica's horse, Butter Rum
    Last edited by Micabe; 04-01-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That page showed a single moment...and a dog. Not dogs (plural).
    But if you want to speculate that she killed/burned many dogs throughout her childhood like a budding sociopath...I suppose.

I know it's been tossed back and forth, in and out, but is NW considered actual 616 canon?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Umm... What does "NW" stand for?

NextWave. It's the Warren Ellis mini that got us drunken Tabitha, so unfortunately it's likely canon.

I know it's been tossed back and forth, in and out, but is NW considered actual 616 canon?
    Yes and no. As far as I remember, the events are canon, but only to the characters who experienced them. Monica has acknowledged the book's events before. Also, their personalities (and histories?) had been tampered with by the Beyond Corporation, which explains any inconsistencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    NextWave. It's the Warren Ellis mini that got us drunken Tabitha, so unfortunately it's likely canon.
    Actually, Nextwave was set in the Earth-63163 timeline which never really happened... Or so it was said.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Hah I'm loving it Daedra!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Actually, Nextwave was set in the Earth-63163 timeline which never really happened... Or so it was said.
    It's more or less semi-canon.

Basicly because it was popular, references to it were made in mainline continuity like Monica appearing with the trenchcoat, The Captain existing in 616 or a wedding gift being attributed to Dirk Anger.

However officialy it's events did not happen in 616 or at least not in the way the series presented them.

Which is why Devil Dinosaur over in Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur isn't a fluently english speaking mastermind of an evil organization and willing to use a gun.