Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Bette Davis - Julie Marsden (Jezebel), Margo Channing (All About Eve) and Baby Jane Hudson (Whatever Happened To Baby Jane)

Cary Grant: Roger Thornhill (North by Northwest), Walter Burns (His Girl Friday), C.K. Dexter Haven (The Philadelphia Story), John "The Cat" Robie (To Catch a Thief), etc.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Cate Blanchett - Galadriel, Hela
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 03-23-2023 at 09:00 PM.

Clint Eastwood: Harry Callahan and the Man with No Name.

John Wayne: McClintock, Davy Crockett, John Chisum, etc.

Audrey Hepburn: Eliza Doolittle (My Fair Lady), Holly Golightly (Breakfast at Tiffany's), etc.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

Margot Kidder - Lois Lane (Superman) and Kathy Lutz (The Amityville Horror)

Wow, the definition of "iconic" is very loose here. I guess it's "a movie I remember".
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Wow, the definition of "iconic" is very loose here. I guess it's "a movie I remember".
    Yeah, it's a bit fuzzy. I didn't recognize some characters on CBR's list (like I've seen all the Potter films but had to look up Cedric Diggory because that's how little I know that name).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think Iconic in film now means Iconic to a specific generation and not to film history.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Bela Lugosi should meet the iconic definition with Dracula and with his Igor in the Frankenstein movies.

Dustin Hoffman for Raymond Babbitt (Rain Man) and Ratzo Rizzo (Midnight Cowboy)
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 03-24-2023 at 07:18 AM.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Bela Lugosi should meet the iconic definition with Dracula and with his Igor in the Frankenstein movies.

Dustin Hoffman for Raymond Babbitt (Rain Man) and Ratzo Rizzo (Midnight Cowboy)
    And Ted Kramer: Kramer versus Kramer which was iconic to that generation of movie goers.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    And Ted Kramer: Kramer versus Kramer which was iconic to that generation of movie goers.
    Did everyone forget about Tootsie? You know, probably his most famous role.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Did everyone forget about Tootsie? You know, probably his most famous role.
    I thought Benjamin Braddock in The Graduate was a more famous role for him?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought Benjamin Braddock in The Graduate was a more famous role for him?
    I would say so.

I'd also nominate Charlton Heston: Colonel George Taylor, Ben Hur, Moses, John the Baptist, Mark Antony, Andrew Jackson, Buffalo Bill Cody, Michelangelo, Cardinal Richilieu, King Henry VIII, Josef Mengele, and that's not even half of his famous characters.

Although the second movie is more genre fan than famous with the general public, I'll still say Ricardo Montalban for Khan and Armando in the original Planet of the Apes series of movies.

Sean Connery played Robin Hood, although the character of Robin Hood is iconic although Connery's potrayal might not be, although Robin & Marion is still considered a decent RH film. Also kind of interesting his Sheriff Of Nottingham is Robert Shaw, who he faced as Bond in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and his William Scarlet is played by Denholm Elliot, who of course he had scenes with towards the end of Last Crusade.

He later had a cameo in Costner's Robin Hood as King Richard, which was later parodied by Patrick Stewart in Mel Brook's. (same year he "Played" "Robin Hood" in Star Trek TNG Qpid)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit fuzzy. I didn't recognize some characters on CBR's list (like I've seen all the Potter films but had to look up Cedric Diggory because that's how little I know that name).
    Cedric Diggory is pushing it in terms of "iconic" character.

Based on the standards set in this list I feel like iconic here means memorable character in a popular movie franchise.

I'll add;

• Jennifer Lawrence - Katniss Everdeen, Mystique
    • Angelia Jolie - Lara Croft, Maleficent
    • Natalie Portman - Padme, Jane Foster
    • Emma Stone - Gwen Stacy, Cruella and Wichita