Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default 10 Great TV Shows That Went Downhill In The Final Season

It's amazing how many tv shows hang around too long

https://www.cbr.com/great-television...lood-2008-2014

10. True Blood (2008-2014)
    09. Scrubs (2001-2010)
    08. The Vampire Diaries (2009-2017) (it went downhill long before that)
    07. Roseanne (1988-1996)
    06. Lost (2004-2010)
    05. Veronica Mars (2004-2006, 2019)
    04. How I Met Your Mother (2005-2014)
    03. Dexter (2006-2013)
    02. That '70s Show (1998-2006)
    01. Game Of Thrones (2011-2019)

Niffleheim

1. At least The Vampire Diaries gave the audience some respite from our collective exhaustion of the main character when they benched her for the last two seasons. The writers really made me hate Elena Gilbert.

2. Sookie Stackhouse was never the reason I continued watching the show but man the writers weren't really interested in writing a coherent story for that character. The show had the BEST supporting characters thou.

3. Dexter is still my favourite show in this list and things started not making sense character-wise for Dexter when he killed Sergeant Doakes. Dexter not following Harry's code didn't work for me after that.

4. Game of Thrones is the only tv show that I've never re-watched. Such a letdown.
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-24-2023 at 06:11 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Game Of Thrones (2011-2019) started downhill towards the end of Season 6, but then it hit the accelerator downhill in Seasons 7 & 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    4. Game of Thrones is the only tv show that I've never re-watched. Such a letdown.
    I still rewatch it (I can't very well cut Tywin or Ned out of the rest of my life), but I will only watch an abridged version of Seasons 7 & 8 (I mapped this out). Certain episodes in those seasons I will never ever watch again (and don't acknowledge as canon). The finale ends for me now right when Jon kills Dany, then I stop the DVD/Bluray and eject.

(I actually might someday custom make abriged dvds/blus for the last seasons, I have software for that)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-23-2023 at 01:09 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Roseanne had:
    Four EXCELLENT seasons (1-4)
    Three Incredibly Great seasons (5-7)
    One Very Good season (8)
    Then the bottom dropped out (9)

Ozark. Very disappointing.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Woah, am I the only one that thought Rosanne went downhill before the last season?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I disagree with 6, 5, 4 and 1.

Lost was great until it revealed its inability to seal the deal in the end.

Veronica Mars actually got better after the first season.

How I Met Your Mother kept its quality until the final season, and then dropped HARD.

Game of Thrones was great until it ran out of book material.

Astonishing Member

Battlestar Galactica for the worst ending ever. NO idea what to do with finding Earth, the Cylons, etc. Giving up technology to become stone age folks - ridiculous.

GoT - another most moronic ending ever.

Dexter - pretty stupid but not as horrible as the two above.

Got to list Buffy the Vampire Slayer though it was more than just the last season and I'll acknowledge there is an argument that it just deviated from it's original premise that people liked to begin with.

Also, rather obscure, but, the Beast Master series started rewriting its own history during it's third and final season to make it a bit more like the movies in hopes of bolstering the ratings. Instead, they just lost people that didn't care all that much for the movies but thought that the show was great.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 03-24-2023 at 02:48 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Game of Thrones was great until it ran out of book material.
    Yeah, around s05, which is when I dropped it. People acting shocked it went downhill in s08, when it jumped the shark long before that

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    1. At least The Vampire Diaries gave the audience some respite from our collective exhaustion of the main character when they benched her for the last two seasons. The writers really made me hate Elena Gilbert.

2. Sookie Stackhouse was never the reason I continued watching the show but man the writers weren't really interested in writing a coherent story for that character. The show had the BEST supporting characters thou.

3. Dexter is still my favourite show in this list and things started not making sense character-wise for Dexter when he killed Sergeant Doakes. Dexter not following Harry's code didn't work for me after that.

Dexter didn't kill Doakes.

The last season of the A-Team tried to change the formula. They weren't on the run anymore, they weren't for hire, Murdock wasn't in a mental institutions, and they added a few new characters. It wasn't nearly as fun as the earlier seasons.

Game of Thrones really started going downhill in Season 7 and got worse in Season 8.

Highlander: The Series went downhill starting with the 5th season finale, and got worse in its final season, Season 6. It was painfully clear they were out of ideas and wanted to move on already.

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena started going downhill a full season or more before their final seasons.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Dexter didn't kill Doakes.
    I don't care lol! Him chaining him up in a little shed in the middle of a swamp resulted to his pyro serial killing girlfriend killing Doakes.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Veronica Mars really had a bad 2019 season. The movie was fine and an ok end for that series.

Dexter for some reason tried to keep Hannah and kill Debra in it's last season. I still don't understand why.

GoT couldn't stick the landing and it missed the mark with Daenerys.

How I met your mother gets props for sticking to it's original ending witch made sense in the context of the first 5 seasons. The changes with Barney and Robin later on drifted to far from that ending though and while I felt Barneys end spoke true to him I can sympatise with his fans.

Lost failed after the time skip season.