Fantastic Member

Default Secret Six (Original Series) Question

Dear DC Fans:

I've been thinking about picking up the back issues of DC's late sixties series, The Secret Six. The original, not the remake that was done later on. The covers look great. So sixty-ish, which in my opinion was when DC was at its most inventive. Can anybody who's read the comics, have any opinions on it? Is it worth the back issues price?

--jthree

Fantastic Member

Anybody?

--jthree

I'd recommend snapping these up if you're a fan of 60's spy comics. I love these issues and the mystery surrounding the identity of Mockingbird is intriguing. It's unfortunate that the series was cancelled so quickly but what we did get is fantastic.

Astonishing Member

I recall reading a reprint of the first issue in the 70s in one of DC's 100 Page Spectaculars -- probably Detective Comics, but not certain. I thought it was a great premise with an inventive, diverse cast. I don't think the identity of 'Mockingbird' is ever revealed in this series. It may have been in the 80s revival -- not the Secret Six by Gail Simone.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I recall reading a reprint of the first issue in the 70s in one of DC's 100 Page Spectaculars -- probably Detective Comics, but not certain. I thought it was a great premise with an inventive, diverse cast. I don't think the identity of 'Mockingbird' is ever revealed in this series. It may have been in the 80s revival -- not the Secret Six by Gail Simone.
    The first two issues were reprinted in The Brave and the Bold in 1975.

You're right about Mockingbird's identity. It wasn't revealed in the original series. The series was relaunched by Marty Pasko in Action Comics Weekly in the 80's and he made the big reveal. Apparently his chosen Mockingbird wasn't the one original series creator E. Nelson Bridwell had in mind though. Unfortunately I don't think Bridwell's original plans have ever been revealed.

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XX (October 1986)

DEFINITELY pick it up! I think of the series fondly very often.....it was so well done and SO different! Mockingbird could have been any of the six!

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The story of the Secret Six was continue in the late 80's series, ACTION COMICS WEEKLY.

ACW629.jpg

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Secret Six appeared in ACTION COMICS WEEKLY #601-612, 619-630.

ACW607.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Secret Six appeared in ACTION COMICS WEEKLY #601-612, 619-630.

ACW607.jpg
    The second run (619-630) featured art by original series artist Frank Springer