Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How old money do like the Waynes and Kanes to be? How important to Gotham?

Bruce has had varying levels of wealth and we've had various backstories for his family (especially the Wayne side).

But what do you prefer the Wayne/Kane wealth and importance to be and what backstory to accomplish that?

Do you like one of the families important since the colonials days? Or making their money and gaining their influence from railroads in the 1850s? New money in the Gilded Age? Timeslide being what it is, they could even have made their money in the 1920s or later and still be several generations deep in wealth. Or are they rich, but not that rich? Gotham royalty or mostly unknown rich people?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The wealth needs to be large enough to hide Batmobile, Batplane, Bat bike and bat boat expense as buying sports car, bike, private boat, chopper and jet as a hobby
    Though not big enough to build a moon base
    I like that Wayne Manor is an ancestral home sitting on top of an ancient cave system
    The Satellite can be funded between Bruce, Ollie, and Arthur
    Diana for the most part is a princess and doesn't really have access to Themysciran wealth
    As for concealing financial records when necessary Lucius got that covered and Oracle handle all blocking and redirection of recognition and surveillance software

Those are my main concern
    I think old money would be needed just because the superhero expenses will add up and new business money will not be able to cover it without taking huge amount of pay cut and tax evasion
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-24-2023 at 07:18 PM.

Bruce needs to be old money and the Wayne's need to be famous enough to be the center of attention.

The Kanes don't need to be as established. They can be new money.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The wealth needs to be large enough to hide Batmobile, Batplane, Bat bike and bat boat expense as buying sports car, bike, private boat, chopper and jet as a hobby
    Though not big enough to build a moon base
    I like that Wayne Manor is an ancestral home sitting on top of an ancient cave system
    The Satellite can be funded between Bruce, Ollie, and Arthur
    Diana for the most part is a princess and doesn't really have access to Themysciran wealth
    As for concealing financial records when necessary Lucius got that covered and Oracle handle all blocking and redirection of recognition and surveillance software

Those are my main concern
    I think old money would be needed just because the superhero expenses will add up and new business money will not be able to cover it without taking huge amount of pay cut and tax evasion
    This is about my take on it.

The Waynes need to be a founding Gotham Family. I prefer that for the Kanes as well, but I'm good as long as they're established (if not necessarily wealthy) by 1850.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member

I'm honestly okay with anything, but in recent years/decades, them being old money and Gotham royalty seems to have become the norm, and a key aspect of stories like the Court of Owls which have become significant parts of the mythos.

The real question to my mind is whether Bruce is one of the richest people on earth, in the US, or just one of the richest in Gotham. In this regard I prefer him to be someone who's the 'prince of Gotham' but not necessarily that well-known or famous across the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I'm honestly okay with anything, but in recent years/decades, them being old money and Gotham royalty seems to have become the norm, and a key aspect of stories like the Court of Owls which have become significant parts of the mythos.

The real question to my mind is whether Bruce is one of the richest people on earth, in the US, or just one of the richest in Gotham. In this regard I prefer him to be someone who's the 'prince of Gotham' but not necessarily that well-known or famous across the globe.
    He does need to be rich enough to at least partially fund the Justice League and all his own side teams and bases.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    He does need to be rich enough to at least partially fund the Justice League and all his own side teams and bases.
    I've kinda assumed that in the DCU, building satellite and moon-bases is a lot cheaper than it would be in real life, because of the presence of exponentially more advanced (and often alien) technology.

The Kanes and Waynes being tied to Gotham gives a deeper connection and backstory on why Bruce is fixated on protecting Gotham. Its a legacy, hereditary task for him. Like a prince looking after the kingdom he inherited from his father and mother. And then you have the notion of Martha Kane and Thomas Wayne marrying; two of the biggest families in the city uniting through marriage. It's a big thing and it gives Romeo and Juliet vibes when you factor in their deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthborn View Post
    The Kanes and Waynes being tied to Gotham gives a deeper connection and backstory on why Bruce is fixated on protecting Gotham. Its a legacy, hereditary task for him. Like a prince looking after the kingdom he inherited from his father and mother. And then you have the notion of Martha Kane and Thomas Wayne marrying; two of the biggest families in the city uniting through marriage. It's a big thing and it gives Romeo and Juliet vibes when you factor in their deaths.
    Yeah, Bruce can't leave for emotional reasons. But staying means he has practical physical reasons for doing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Bruce needs to be old money and the Wayne's need to be famous enough to be the center of attention.

The Kanes don't need to be as established. They can be new money.
    Agree with this and have the Waynes be one of the founding families of Gotham. I didn't even know the Kanes were old money I assumed Martha married into money with Thomas, and Jacob got his money either from the military or his wife was rich.

Extraordinary Member

I would like it if there was an “arc” to the Waynes ascending to the top of the Gotham food chain.

Like, they were one of the founding families, but spent about half of Gotham’s existence as “lesser” one of the first families in comparison to the Cobblepotts, Powers, and Kanes. Then, in the early Industrial Age, they began a climb that still hasn’t yet stopped, accompanied for a ways by the Elliot’s, while the Kanes specifically began a bit of a fall, and the Cobblepotts outright crashed.

This way, the family dynamics make a bit more sense; the Kanes can have members who helped found the Court of Owls but be more humble now, the Cobblepotts can be exceptionally bitter, and the Elliot’s envious.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

I wonder if DC eventually will let Bruce have all his money back one day ?
    I mean Lucius presently has that money, but he's not featured at all anymore in the Batman books . Well he is in I am Batman , but that seems to be stopping. So now what, going forward ?
    Will Bruce just keep staying in the brownstone for the next few years ?
    I liked the old status quo in Wayne Manor , but at the time Alfred was alive .
    But I have a feeling that Alfred isn't coming back .

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I didn't even know the Kanes were old money I assumed Martha married into money with Thomas, and Jacob got his money either from the military or his wife was rich.
    The Kanes have been wealthy since 52; that's where "the Kanes own the half of Gotham the Waynes don't" is from. And then Gates of Gotham showed they were already plenty wealthy by the 1880s; Cameron Kane owned most of Kane County by then, and was wealthy enough to finance the construction of a bridge.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthborn View Post
    I love this take

It just adds to the Batman mythos and it also adds to the fact that the Waynes have tried to be protectors since the beginning and their opposite are the Court of Owls