Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Question Best character-driven stories in x-books?

Hi! As the title suggests, I'm looking for recommendations. I like stories that aren't about high action and saving the world, but instead ones that focus on intimate stuff - love, hope, bonds, the search for happiness. To avoid getting recommendations for comics I've read, here is a list of the small number of stories I've read: Uncanny X-men (2018), House of X/Powers of X, X-Men (2019), vol.1 of X-Men Red (2022). As you can see, it's not much. I'd love to read something more personal, maybe centered around a smaller cast of characters. I don't mind it having action but I'd prefer it not to take center stage/the majority of the story.

Thank you in advance!

There are lots of these kind of stories, especially during the early Nicieza & Lobdell runs, for better or worse. But ignoring those for a bit, here are some of my favorites:

For Storm's dealing with love and loss, go for the classic LifeDeath (Uncanny X-Men #186):

Uncanny X-Men #182, for a great look on the whole Rogue/Carol Danvers tragedy and how it affects Rogue's mental health:

For some of the best interactions and overflow of our heroes' emotions, the iconic X-Men #70:

There are MANY MORE fantastic character-driven stories in the franchise, including the spin-offs: New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force, Generation X, New X-Men.

X-Men Legacy provides some of the best written character-driven stories, courtesy of Carey. The focus is Professor X and it's so, so good.
    Last edited by Hi-Fi; 03-26-2023 at 10:37 AM.

Currently it's Hellions and Sabretooth for me.

X-men Red for me. Ewing is doing a hell of a job with his whole cast, but especially Storm.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Read New Mutants vol 2 (2003) and its sequel series, New X-Men vol 2 (2004.) They're about the personal lives of some students at the school. You really grow to love them and their interactions with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Read all of Classic X-Men/X-Men Classics/X-Men Classic (this is all the same run) and Mike Carey's X-Men: Legacy.

The 80's and the 90's were brimming with such stories. If there's one that stands out to me the most, however, it is Uncanny X-Men #274-275, in which Magneto renounces Xavier's dream.

A pretty self-contained story taking place in the Savage Land, with only Magneto, Rogue, Ka-Zar and Nick Fury as main characters.

Extraordinary Member

New Mutants Vol. 1 #45 is a classic example of a non-action character story. But this being an action-orientated medium, the vast majority of stories are going to feature action. The 6-issue Kitty Pryde and Wolverine mini-series has entire issues dedicated to sword fights, but it's very important for the character development of Kitty Pryde and has good character moments for Wolverine. The Magik mini-series is a full-fledged heroes-journey like Luke in the original Star Wars trilogy and since it's an origin story has a ton of character development.

The first thing that comes to mind (after Lifedeath) : most of the back-ups of Classic X-men/X-Men Classic (already mentioned).
    Also more recently the Wolverine and the X-Men issue focused on Warbird during AvX.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    There are lots of these kind of stories, especially during the early Nicieza & Lobdell runs, for better or worse. But ignoring those for a bit, here are some of my favorites:

For Storm's dealing with love and loss, go for the classic LifeDeath (Uncanny X-Men #186):

Uncanny X-Men #182, for a great look on the whole Rogue/Carol Danvers tragedy and how it affects Rogue's mental health:

For some of the best interactions and overflow of our heroes' emotions, the iconic X-Men #70:

There are MANY MORE fantastic character-driven stories in the franchise, including the spin-offs: New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force, Generation X, New X-Men.

X-Men Legacy provides some of the best written character-driven stories, courtesy of Carey. The focus is Professor X and it's so, so good.
    Wow you listed 3 of my favourite stories of all time here. The first 2 in particular will make Ororo and Anna come alive like never before for someone who hasn't read them, and arguably turn them into fans of those characters for life. And X-Men #70 is a masterclass on how to kick off a new run and simultaneously respect what's come before while also feeling like a fresh jumping on point.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Read all of Classic X-Men/X-Men Classics/X-Men Classic (this is all the same run) and Mike Carey's X-Men: Legacy.
    I second this, all of Classic X-Men (the Claremont/Bolton bits) is 100% character-driven and is ideal for someone who just wants to get to know the characters better without too many fights or high-stakes interrupting the narrative.

X-men vol.2 #39 - Adam X rescues Cyclops grandfather after his plane crashes

X-men vol. 2. # 76 - Maggott's origin. Just Wolvy and Maggott. An underrated issue with an underrated character.

Uncanny X-men 161 (vol.1) - How Xavier met Magnus and Gabby Haller in Israel

Uncanny x-men 309 (vol 1) - Xavier is "cross examined" about his relationships by his subconscious in the form of Magnus

X-force. (vol.1) 31 - Siryn comes to grips with her alcoholism and her relationship with Black Tom.

Fantastic Member

I remember a lot of the first New Mutants run being very character-driven, as the kids get to know each other, deal with problems and teen drama while also having adventures. Like New Mutants 21, where the team first meets Warlock, is mostly about a slumber party.

(If you don't mind stepping away from X-Men, the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel is very down-to-earth, character-driven stories, with a great supporting cast.)

More recently, I thought Hellions was the best team/character driven book coming out in the Krakoa era.

Spectacular Member

I'll echo what other's have said about Classic X-Men - this series from the '80's reprinted the main book (Uncanny X-Men) starting with the introduction of the All-New, All-Different team (Storm, Nightcrawler, Thunderbird, Wolverine, Banshee, Colossus). It's the BACK UP stories that are character driven, and there is an Omnibus which collects them all. Stories that build upon what was presented in the main book, yet written about a decade later.

You'll get one shots that include Jean Grey and her roommate Misty Knight; Wolverine versus a bear; Nightcrawler comforting a child at a hospital; Warpath mourning his older brother (Thunderbird) after his untimely death; a really cool Halloween party kerfuffle; flashbacks to Rogue's teenage years when her powers kicked in; Banshee doing some detective work ... and lots more. Just like you asked for, there is little action. These backup tales were clearly character building opportunities for Claremont, especially since the X-Men were the most popular book at the time.

Another good series that had excellent character-driven stories was the original Excalibur, when the team consisted of Nightcralwer, Kitty Pryde, Rachel Summers (Phoenix), Captain Britain, and Meggan.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Chris Claremont's New Mutants run.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!