Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Nic Cage wants to play DC Comics' The Spectre

Nicolas Cage revealed that he would be open to playing The Spectre in a DC Universe film.

"Ohh! Yeah! Jim Corrigan, the Spectre (old DC comic character). That would be a fun one," said Cage. "But that’s a hard one to pull off because he’s virtually invincible, he has no weakness. You need characters that have a kryptonite, that have a flaw, but he’s kinda unbeatable. But that would be a fun one."

https://www.cbr.com/nicolas-cage-the-spectre-dcu/

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I feel like he'd actually be a pretty good Corrigan.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Some of Corrigan/Spectre's antics would be a touch harsh for a DC movie. For example, the classic where Spectre appeared at a trial where a Mom was being tried to leaving her kids in a van and setting it on fire. Then at trial she was whining about missing her kids. Spectre appeared and summoned her kids as flaming skeletons that incinerated the Mom. The judge was pounded her gavel to no avail. Spectre stopped to talk to CNN, IIRC, on the way out. Talked about being the Wrath of God. That would be a great scene in a movie. Of course, he could slap the entire DC set away with little effort.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Some of Corrigan/Spectre's antics would be a touch harsh for a DC movie. For example, the classic where Spectre appeared at a trial where a Mom was being tried to leaving her kids in a van and setting it on fire. Then at trial she was whining about missing her kids. Spectre appeared and summoned her kids as flaming skeletons that incinerated the Mom. The judge was pounded her gavel to no avail. Spectre stopped to talk to CNN, IIRC, on the way out. Talked about being the Wrath of God. That would be a great scene in a movie. Of course, he could slap the entire DC set away with little effort.
    Is this a real book?

It totally feels like the Spectre, but I don't think I've read it.

I think what Cage(and a lot of writers) misses by saying the weakness of the Spectre is that he's too powerful is that isn't a real limit to storytelling, it just means you need to tell a different type of story. Instead of your typical superhero origin picture where we get the person becoming a hero and then fighting some bad guy in a big battle at the end, the struggle would instead be internal. It's not Corrigan and the Spectre versus some giant evil, it's the struggle of Corrigan trying to keep the Spectre from just ending the world. You can't milk a trilogy out of that of course, but there's nothing wrong with just a great one off.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Nicolas Cage revealed that he would be open to playing The Spectre in a DC Universe film.

"Ohh! Yeah! Jim Corrigan, the Spectre (old DC comic character). That would be a fun one," said Cage. "But that’s a hard one to pull off because he’s virtually invincible, he has no weakness. You need characters that have a kryptonite, that have a flaw, but he’s kinda unbeatable. But that would be a fun one."

https://www.cbr.com/nicolas-cage-the-spectre-dcu/
    Yeah, i "heard" rumors of this months ago. Also, that he wanted to play other Marvel characters too. I do not think Marvel is currently considering him for anything, though....
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Let Cage play the Creeper and eat all the scenery he wants.

The Spectre has many flaws, depending on the era, but his biggest one is his tendency to be a drama queen and go around doing soliloquys to everybody he meets. Seems a perfect fit for Cage.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I could totally see him as Jim Corrigan and Spectre.

Extraordinary Member

Surprised Nic has never been tapped to play the Joker.

Astonishing Member

This might never happen but kudos to Cage for immediately linking Spectre to the Corrigan host, as far as I know that's still the most iconic version.

Didn't Nic Cage play Ghost Rider, the Marvel Comics' Spirit of Vengeance? Now he wants to play the DC comics' Spirit of Vengeance?

Astonishing Member

I love Nic Cage. But honestly DC really needs to get its crap together.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yes, especially after WW84 and Shazam 2 movie

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Yes, especially after WW84 and Shazam 2 movie
    Pilebros much? This isn't remotely an official announcement.

Cage is one of those guys I like but he so overacts or under acts that how he won an Oscar is beyond me. But he might be great for someone like the Spectre if that character comes across like the overbearing madman that he generally is in comics. Although that puts it into Ghost Rider territory with a human cursed to become a demon.

Putting it another way, I think society has changed so much since the Spectre was created that most people perceive him as sort of the villain or an extremely too far anti-hero. But, as to Cage playing him, that sort of overplay may work well for that character.
    Power with Girl is better.