Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Humoros nuisance The PhantomDreamlander's Avatar

Question who is your favorite weird superhero?

I have gotten to really like superheroes that are weird and are parodies over the usual boring architype.

List your favorite superhero that happens to be a parody or is just plain old weird.

my pick would be Comet guy from Darkwing Duck his weakness of anything that rings like a bell is also quite silly which i like

Last edited by The PhantomDreamlander; 05-16-2023 at 09:35 AM.
    ya see the thing with humor is that it could either be real funny or completley terrible, the nightmare comes with everyone thinking your unfunny.

Definitely, my choice would be...

Beta Ray Bill

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

captain hindsight from south park

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Devlin Waugh (Dredd-verse)

The Chandelier (Ahoy Comics) (a parody of Batman)

The Tick & co.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

All the members of Doom Force.

Last edited by CaptainEurope; 03-28-2023 at 03:44 AM.

Mighty Member

Herbie. The weird fat 1960's DC boy who looking back, probably had non-verbal autism...

Gonna go a bit 90s with this...

The Tick

Freakazoid

Earthworm Jim

To be honest it's about time Jim had a comeback.

Mighty Member

Supergoof/Captain carrot and the Zoo crew/ Hoppy the Marvel bunny are great genre-bending heroes...

Quote Originally Posted by PantoTako View Post
    I have gotten to really like superheroes that are weird and are parodies over the usual boring architype.

List your favorite superhero that happens to be a parody or is just plain old weird.

my pick would be Comet guy from Darkwing Duck

^^^My favorite might actually BE Darkwing Duck.
    Such a great cartoon. So many fun homages and deconstructions, a great protagonist/supporting cast/rogues gallery. Excellent world building. I even loved the recent (meta as hell) reboot of the character in the 2017 Ducktales.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Such a great cartoon. So many fun homages and deconstructions, a great protagonist/supporting cast/rogues gallery. Excellent world building. I even loved the recent (meta as hell) reboot of the character in the 2017 Ducktales.
    Just off the top of my head...
    Darkwing Duck himself feels like a standard albeit kid-aimed cartoon animal Batman proxy, and he is, but he also rips off Zorro's fashion style, the og comics' Sandman's gas gun gimmick, and again Batman's vehicles.

His rogues gallery takes pretty liberally from Batman's and Spider-Man's rogue galleries:
    1. Megavolt - Electro
    2. Bushroot - Poison Ivy
    3. Liquidator - Hydro-Man

Oddly enough there's even a Superman rogue in the mix - Quackerjack/Toyman! Also a crackerjack snack pun there. Heck Liquidator and Bushroot are kinda punny names too I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Just off the top of my head...
    Darkwing Duck himself feels like a standard albeit kid-aimed cartoon animal Batman proxy, and he is, but he also rips off Zorro's fashion style, the og comics' Sandman's gas gun gimmick, and again Batman's vehicles.

His rogues gallery takes pretty liberally from Batman's and Spider-Man's rogue galleries:
    1. Megavolt - Electro
    2. Bushroot - Poison Ivy
    3. Liquidator - Hydro-Man

Oddly enough there's even a Superman rogue in the mix - Quackerjack/Toyman! Also a crackerjack snack pun there. Heck Liquidator and Bushroot are kinda punny names too I think.
    ^^^Puns galore in this cartoon!
    A couple of deep dive ones are Taurus Bulba (who’s a kind of Kingpin homage) being named after the Nikolai Gogol novel, and Film making villain Tuskernini named after the famous conductor!
    Last edited by Riv86672; 03-29-2023 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai

To be honest it's about time Jim had a comeback.

a freakazoid revival is what we need the most but jim coming back would be just as cool
    Last edited by The PhantomDreamlander; 03-29-2023 at 09:37 AM.
    ya see the thing with humor is that it could either be real funny or completley terrible, the nightmare comes with everyone thinking your unfunny.

I myself have found darkwing duck to trully be a really cool cartoon with all the parodies of super hero stuff to especially be my favorite part of the show.

Even if i had not grown up with it originally i still really loved it and have felt inspired by it to even based some of the humor and parodies of my one day to be released comic book mostly on this cartoon. and some of the characters are sort of homages including comet guy.
    Last edited by The PhantomDreamlander; 03-29-2023 at 09:52 AM.

^^^Puns galore in this cartoon!
    A couple of deep dive ones are Taurus Bulba (who’s a kind of Kingpin homage) being named after the Nikolai Gogol novel, and Film making villain Tuskernini named after the famous conductor!
    I always felt Taurus Bulba felt more like a James Bond type villain, but Kingpin is also a good pick.
    Now Steelbeak was a definite James Bond villain homage.
    The creators really did take from anywhere for good rogues ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I always felt Taurus Bulba felt more like a James Bond type villain, but Kingpin is also a good pick.
    Now Steelbeak was a definite James Bond villain homage.
    The creators really did take from anywhere for good rogues ideas.
    ^^^Oh god yes!
    Their spy stuff was easily as detailed as their hero stuff.