Default Legion vs Jobu Tupaki

FX's David Haller from the Legion show takes on EEAO's Jobu Tupaki.

Which reality-hopping reality warper wins?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

This one is a bit of headache because of the usual problems presented by the nature of Jobu's powerset. If her physical body is destroyed, technically she's done and can't return to the arena because she's locked out of that reality through not having a vessel any more.

No one in EEAAO has feats of psychic resistance on the level required to deal with someone like David and he's a pretty competent reality warper in his own right and doesn't really need a physical body to do stuff so a lot of Jobu's stuff might not work on him.

I would bet on David, he's just got a lot better "point and click" death powers and is a massively powerful psychic on top of that. Jobu is psychologically full of weaknesses so I think he could take her to pieces before she could amount a serious defence.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    This one is a bit of headache because of the usual problems presented by the nature of Jobu's powerset. If her physical body is destroyed, technically she's done and can't return to the arena because she's locked out of that reality through not having a vessel any more.

No one in EEAAO has feats of psychic resistance on the level required to deal with someone like David and he's a pretty competent reality warper in his own right and doesn't really need a physical body to do stuff so a lot of Jobu's stuff might not work on him.

I would bet on David, he's just got a lot better "point and click" death powers and is a massively powerful psychic on top of that. Jobu is psychologically full of weaknesses so I think he could take her to pieces before she could amount a serious defence.
    This would be my take by Rumbles rules: Jobu simply doesn't have any psi resistance feats. She might be able to stick him in a rock or a pinata, but she seems to have to accompany her victim on that kind of trip so it's a) a self ring out and b) David can still think in those forms, so he can still own her mind and even make her bring him back (if he can't just reality warp himself back). She's got cool insta-kills (exploding heads and stuff) but David generally seems quicker, and he's not really all that bothered by things that hurt him.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Jobu Tupaki's origin was getting an information overload from the multiverse, right? I feel like David touching her mind might expose him to that same information, and given his overall lack of stability that might send him reeling long enough to get killed.

He also has non-telepathic attacks he can use, though.

Yeah, actually, on a rewatch I think Jobu has a case here.

1. She's not just been exposed to the whole of reality; she's constantly experiencing every reality at once. So touching her mind seems like a really bad idea.

2. While killing Joy sealed Jobu out from a universe, Alpha Gong Gong only tried it while Jobu was not present. Otherwise, she also got shot from behind and warped her injury into nothing. However, it is unclear if this was a passive effect, so a complete destruction instant kill might still do it.

3. She definitely has a higher top end output, with the singularity of her bagel presenting a credible threat to the multiverse. Unfortunately, we don't know how long this took her to do (probably less than day, but not necessarily less than a second) so she may not get a chance to bring her A game.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I'm not even sure that killing Joy *really* locks Jobu out of a universe, since she exists in universes where no life formed, or where Joy is a piñata or drawing, plus she's able to just drag things from one universe to another physically, without having to have it possess the local version of itself. It's just as likely that Jobu just didn't have any particular desire to return to a universe after determining that the person she wants to die with didn't exist there, and where the locals aren't trying to keep her from meeting that person.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I'm not even sure that killing Joy *really* locks Jobu out of a universe, since she exists in universes where no life formed, or where Joy is a piñata or drawing, plus she's able to just drag things from one universe to another physically, without having to have it possess the local version of itself. It's just as likely that Jobu just didn't have any particular desire to return to a universe after determining that the person she wants to die with didn't exist there, and where the locals aren't trying to keep her from meeting that person.
    Yeah... On finishing the rewatch that occurred to me too. The Alpha verse was clearly working with some faulty assumptions about her.

We also see Evelyn resurrect her body from the dead, and she seems to have some sort of passive defensive aura when she gets hit with the hail of bullets-- she seems surprised when she's unhurt. Jobu should be capable of the same things. Technically, neither of those things have been tested against being fully disintegrated, but there's also not really a reason to think that would make a difference given the nature of their powers.

And the thing which was needed to for Jobu to die, a singularity which could credibly threaten the multiverse, seems beyond David's pay grade. If he can't lock her out, he can't kill her. And I'm pretty convinced a telepathic push just ends with his mind fracturing from the overload.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Yeah... On finishing the rewatch that occurred to me too. The Alpha verse was clearly working with some faulty assumptions about her.

We also see Evelyn resurrect her body from the dead, and she seems to have some sort of passive defensive aura when she gets hit with the hail of bullets-- she seems surprised when she's unhurt. Jobu should be capable of the same things. Technically, neither of those things have been tested against being fully disintegrated, but there's also not really a reason to think that would make a difference given the nature of their powers.

And the thing which was needed to for Jobu to die, a singularity which could credibly threaten the multiverse, seems beyond David's pay grade. If he can't lock her out, he can't kill her. And I'm pretty convinced a telepathic push just ends with his mind fracturing from the overload.
    David does have experience of creating like sprawling parallel timelines as we saw in his trauma response to his adopted sister dying, he was maintaining dozens of distinct instances of himself living distinct but parallel versions of his life. I completely get the logic of the multiverse being too much for him to like snuff out but I think his raw psychic might and wide variety of really weird psychic feats, given that Jobu has no evidence of psychic defence, I don't think she gets necessarily a free pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    David does have experience of creating like sprawling parallel timelines as we saw in his trauma response to his adopted sister dying, he was maintaining dozens of distinct instances of himself living distinct but parallel versions of his life. I completely get the logic of the multiverse being too much for him to like snuff out but I think his raw psychic might and wide variety of really weird psychic feats, given that Jobu has no evidence of psychic defence, I don't think she gets necessarily a free pass on it.
    Fair point. I had no recollection of that feat. I think in general I had trouble retaining what was an actual feat for him vs a Shadow King inflicted delusion vs just an actual delusion. Which was part of what made the show fun lol.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I mean, Legion getting his mind cracked like Jobu Topaki's would possibly just make him get Jobu Topaki's powers on top of his own.

That might not really help all that much, though, since Jobu had to create the Everything Bagel because she couldn't think of any other way to kill herself, and we can't even be sure that even *that* will work, since she was enduring it way better than everyone else that got near it, despite wanting it kill her at the time.