Mighty Member

Post What happens to Linda Danvers?

So after serving the first Supergirl runs for 80 issues, Linda is placed at the back holder. Since then, she is no longer relevant after Kara becomes Supergirl again. Do you think DC should revamp the character as a separate identity or just be a background civilian instead?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

At this point not really, with so many other characters. She'd be stuck between the incorporation of Kenan and Karen. But it could be interesting to see a Super character in the space of a regular family besides the Kents and really I'd love to see Matrix back.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Unfortunately, she's redundant, yeah. If they bring Linda back she needs a complete revamp. Lose the blonde wig for starters, let her show her own brunette hair in costume, she won't look like the two Karas that way. New codename, obviously, and a costume without the S shield. Aren't her powers a bit different as she isn't Kryptonian? Emphasise those differences.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Keep that character relegated to the multiverse. In my opinion, and this may not be a popular one, characters created to replace silver age ones post crisis are pretty irrelevant once they bring back the basic elements of those characters. I think there's space for her in the multiverse and great stories can still be written for that character but I don't think she should ever return to the earth 0/earth prime (whatever they are calling it these days) stories.

Extraordinary Member

It would be incredibly easy to bring Linda back with her history intact and her angel powers restored and put her in a series called 'Superwoman' in Leesburg again. All that would really be needed is an explanation for why she'd come back now. The question is whether such a book would sell in the modern market, when DC is struggling to even sell books in the Batman line like Robin and Batgirls, and Kara's book have not sold that well either.

If DC was looking for a way to finally give Kara some sort of direction after the last 20 years of floundering reviving PAD's idea of having her and Linda be co-protagonists. Integrating the Leesberg cast into Kara's supporting cast would finally give her a cast of good characters who aren't stolen from Superman.

If you look past the surface traits of 'female and blonde,' Linda is not only not redundant, she is one of the least redundant characters in the Superman line. Her powers are distinct, her origin is distinct, her personality is distinct, her supporting cast is distinct. her niche is distinct. Her return along with Cutter, Mattie, Fred, and Sylvia would automatically add so much that the Superman line has been missing for many years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    It would be incredibly easy to bring Linda back with her history intact and her angel powers restored and put her in a series called 'Superwoman' in Leesburg again. All that would really be needed is an explanation for why she'd come back now. The question is whether such a book would sell in the modern market, when DC is struggling to even sell books in the Batman line like Robin and Batgirls, and Kara's book have not sold that well either.

If DC was looking for a way to finally give Kara some sort of direction after the last 20 years of floundering reviving PAD's idea of having her and Linda be co-protagonists. Integrating the Leesberg cast into Kara's supporting cast would finally give her a cast of good characters who aren't stolen from Superman.

If you look past the surface traits of 'female and blonde,' Linda is not only not redundant, she is one of the least redundant characters in the Superman line. Her powers are distinct, her origin is distinct, her personality is distinct, her supporting cast is distinct. her niche is distinct. Her return along with Cutter, Mattie, Fred, and Sylvia would automatically add so much that the Superman line has been missing for many years.
    Yeah, Linda Danvers would be perfect for the 'Superwoman' mantle. There have been many different takes on 'Superwoman', but none that have really stuck. I guess the best move would be to let a Supergirl become Superwoman, and since that's not happening to Kara, might as well let Linda do it.

Amazing Member

I don't think she would sell in 2023, possibly even with PAD as a writer. That is why, if she was brought back, her most likely role would be to draw old readers to a team title, or provide a few storylines to some other title. I don't think readers who never read or liked her original title would 'look past the surface traits', they did not back then and would not now.

Interaction with Kara could be iffy given that Kara has now been aged and backdated to predate Linda, and they sometimes have even shown flashbacks where Kara was inserted in Linda's place. It occurs to me though, that they could say that the current Kara is the one from 'Many Happy Returns', which provides a lead-in.

However, the storylines could still be cool. Matrix, Earth-Born Angels, and where is Linda's lost daughter?
    Last edited by GreyFox; 03-29-2023 at 01:24 PM.

I disagree with people who say she’d be redundant in the current Super family.
    She’s the only of them with a real connection to the supernatural, which gives her a clearer niche than a lot of the current members of the House of El. She’d be their supernatural expert.
    Plus she has a very strong story hook in the fact that she has a lost daughter she desperately wants to find. She’d fit right in with the family themes of the current Action run.
    Linda Danvers only needs a new costume, codename and a writer interested in continuing her story.
    I’m very partial to the use of Seraph as her name and I designed what could be her return look.

As you can see, she can look very different from Kara and Karen and still evoke her time as Supergirl.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    Keep that character relegated to the multiverse. In my opinion, and this may not be a popular one, characters created to replace silver age ones post crisis are pretty irrelevant once they bring back the basic elements of those characters. I think there's space for her in the multiverse and great stories can still be written for that character but I don't think she should ever return to the earth 0/earth prime (whatever they are calling it these days) stories.

Especially where they share an identity. They can recognize the different Parasites, Kryptonite Men, Terra Men, etc. as redundant, but even the protagonists you can flesh out have the same problems. Or worse.

Look at Kon El. "Conner." I loved the original but he came back without the history, they gave him generic powers, and they didn't use the characterization popular with his Clark-Lex clone story.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Linda would absolutely bring something different to the DCU that no other supers do.
    I agree, let her show her natural brown hair to make her more visually distinctive. Superwoman would be my ideal name for her, but Seraph works.
    I'd love to see her in a solo series, but that just may not be viable. At the least, let Peter David do a mini bringing her back, let her make Super family appearances and maybe have her join the Justice League Dark, that seems like a good fit for her.
    Brining back her daughter, whose father is an alternate universe Superman has a lot of potential too. Age her up and she could be a new Teen Titan.