Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: She-Hulk, #8

In "She-Hulk" #8, Jennifer takes a wrongful death case, one with high personal stakes for her so far, since her client is none other than her friend Captain America.

Full review here.

Amazing Member

This is one of the best titles Marvel is currently publishing. Charles Soule is clearly a big fan of the Marvel universe, which we can tell from his characterization. Of course, Patsy Walker would have a Captain America action figure on her desk. She has always been obsessed with superheroes. I hope Soule dumps Patsy in a vat of radioactive catnip or gives her a magic amulet. Something to give her super powers. I liked the idea that the Hellcat costume conferred super powers, and wish that idea had not been abandoned. Love the idea that Jamie Madrox has a dupe who is a lawyer, and sends some of his earnings to Jamie. This title is like one of the better television shows that have taken place in law firms, only it involves superheroes.

Fantastic Member

Another great issue. Right now, my favorite Marvel titles are Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel and She-Hulk - all women and all stories that are off in their little corners of the MU. As much as I appreciate the cosmic, universe-building work of someone like Hickman, the really big stuff is often exhausting and ultimately disappointing. These three titles bring back the fun to comics and are populated by genuinely appealing characters.

One thing: the big reveal at the end of this issue of SH was not surprising in the least. It was telegraphed almost from the cover of the issue. That's not a complaint, but it's really hard to be genuinely surprising when there are so few lawyers in the MU.

Grrrrrreat issue, maybe the best of the series yet. Virtually every panel and line of dialogue were perfect, there were so many great moments here. I didn't mind the Wimberly issues anywhere near as much as most people did, but he was not as good of a fit for the book as Pulido...and while the last issue with Hank Pym was fun, it felt kind of fluffy and slightly like filler...this was a return to form for the series. Pulido's art looks tighter and more consistent and the pacing is just perfect, the book effortlessly moves from scene to scene and they are all entertaining and funny. Soule is doing a flawless job with every Marvel character he brings in to this series. I really love Loki and Ghost Rider but this is Marvel's best book, period.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    Another great issue. Right now, my favorite Marvel titles are Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel and She-Hulk - all women and all stories that are off in their little corners of the MU. As much as I appreciate the cosmic, universe-building work of someone like Hickman, the really big stuff is often exhausting and ultimately disappointing. These three titles bring back the fun to comics and are populated by genuinely appealing characters.

One thing: the big reveal at the end of this issue of SH was not surprising in the least. It was telegraphed almost from the cover of the issue. That's not a complaint, but it's really hard to be genuinely surprising when there are so few lawyers in the MU.
    I'm pretty sure even the solicits for future issues revealed that Matt would be Jen's opposition in this case. It wasn't really meant to be a surprise for the reader, the cliffhanger was meant to show the surprise for the character.

I also agree with you that Marvel does far, far better at their titles "off in their own corner" with B-listers than they do with their main big event books, which are almost all either disappointing, overhyped far too long in advance, or typically both.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

This issue took She Hulk from a book I like to a book I love. Really everything came together. The art, the story, the comedy, it all just fit. It was already safe on my pull list but this was the first time where I felt it was not only book of the week, but might have been book of the month. She-Hulk vs. Daredevil in court, how has this not happened before?! It makes the next issues must by.

I have only one problem with this issue, and also one nagging concern. When they're talking at the bar, Angie says, "I didn't know the name, and Martindale comes up blank." My best assumption is that Martindale is the name of the family involved in the suit, but that name isn't mentioned anywhere else in the issue for us to know.

Secondly, I'm not sure why Matt would take this case or not tell Jen about when she called. Hopefully that'll be answered as we go.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I have only one problem with this issue, and also one nagging concern. When they're talking at the bar, Angie says, "I didn't know the name, and Martindale comes up blank." My best assumption is that Martindale is the name of the family involved in the suit, but that name isn't mentioned anywhere else in the issue for us to know.

Secondly, I'm not sure why Matt would take this case or not tell Jen about when she called. Hopefully that'll be answered as we go.
    I don't read Daredevil, but Angie's comment seems to refer to "Martindale" as the name of Matt's firm. It comes up blank, which I assume is related to Matt creating some kind of cover for his law firm. Which doesn't make much sense, but that may be explained in "Daredevil." Another possibility is that Matt may simply be working for a firm named "Martindale" but why that should come up blank is a mystery to me.

Hm. I just re-read this and I see that Matt's firm is called "McDuffie and Murdoch." So, "Martindale" may refer to the family, as you say. But that would not explain why Jen did not recognize the name of the firm that prepared the legal documents she is reading. Is it possible that Matt is working with "Martindale", the firm, for some reason?
    Last edited by ShaunN; 09-07-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    This issue took She Hulk from a book I like to a book I love. Really everything came together. The art, the story, the comedy, it all just fit. It was already safe on my pull list but this was the first time where I felt it was not only book of the week, but might have been book of the month. She-Hulk vs. Daredevil in court, how has this not happened before?! It makes the next issues must by.

I felt the same way after I finished reading this issue. Like, how come no one thought of this like 20yrs ago. Definitely looking forward to the next issue.

I just hope that Wimbley's art doesn't touch this book again. His She-Hulk looked like a cross-dressing boy.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    I don't read Daredevil, but Angie's comment seems to refer to "Martindale" as the name of Matt's firm. It comes up blank, which I assume is related to Matt creating some kind of cover for his law firm. Which doesn't make much sense, but that may be explained in "Daredevil." Another possibility is that Matt may simply be working for a firm named "Martindale" but why that should come up blank is a mystery to me.

Hm. I just re-read this and I see that Matt's firm is called "McDuffie and Murdoch." So, "Martindale" may refer to the family, as you say. But that would not explain why Jen did not recognize the name of the firm that prepared the legal documents she is reading. Is it possible that Matt is working with "Martindale", the firm, for some reason?
    Yeah, if Martindale is the name of the firm, then why does Matt need it? Is it one he's having to associate with while he gets his own lawyering paperwork sorted out in California? Or is it a fake name? And if it is a fake name, why bother?

Unfortunately, reading Daredevil wouldn't really help you understand, as his practice hasn't really been a plot point. All we've seen so far is him do some consulting work for the police department.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Completely agree with this post. This issue moved this to one of, if not, my favourite comics. Pulido's art just seemed to work better than before, and the writing was firing on all cylinders. Just a perfect issue. I really hope this series can continue and not fall victim to the people not reading it because 'it's not important enough'

Fantastic Member Supergirl's Pal's Avatar

This was a fun issue to read. Pulido's art has matured to the point that it is in perfect sync with Soule's writing. Can't wait for the next issue.

Astonishing Member

Love this book, and any Madrox is just the cherry on top.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Love this book, and any Madrox is just the cherry on top.
    "Call me Matt Rocks, cause I do."

I completely love Jamie's shallow, awful, fake tanned double. Such an unexpected gift for fans of the old X-Factor. Nice to hear he and Layla are still on the farm.
    Anyone else notice how his dupes were pale? Maybe he knocked them out first, then put on the tan and coiffed the hair.

I really loved the art this issue; and I thought the writing had an extra sparkle this issue. Every page was golden.
    "Self has no time for this."