Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I'd say his record for creating characters is worse than that. Four of the names you just mentioned are re-inventions of existing characters, one is a historical figure, and I don't even REMEMBER Leonid.

I have to confess, the character descriptions and designs have lessened my interest, as four of them simply mix & match old/young, male/female, and science/magic, while their depictions are so generic, they could be anyone. (Remember how many people thought Wyn was an AU Strange?)

If Hickman really wants to write "Marvel's Sandman", he's going to gave to put in more effort than "immortal magician we've never heard of battles a science-based character who is likewise unknown".
    I'm not anti-Hickman but the only person who could really write Marvel's Sandman is Neil Gaiman. Hickman is not Gaiman.

Astonishing Member

But Bob Budianskly already wrote Marvel's Sandman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepwalker_(comics)).

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    But Bob Budianskly already wrote Marvel's Sandman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepwalker_(comics)).
    Depending on how you define it, so did Stan Lee and Ann Nocenti.

I'm curious what part of Gaiman's Sandman Hickman is trying to emulate with this story.

Right now I don't see the influence.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-29-2023 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Because YOU demand it! It's the Dr. Strange and Chris Angel team up you have been waiting for!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I love Hickman, but man… another group of characters with mostly odd names I’ll never remember. I still don’t remember the names of the Black Order characters or most of the Arakki he introduced. Unfortunately, these characters will probably end up being remembered as much as the Exemplars (and Octessence) in ten years.
    Still salty about the abandonment of the Octessence, and the invocations named after them. Tons of magical folk over the last decade doing 'never done it before, never gonna do it again no matter how useful it would be' one-off random magical crap, but depressingly little use of Vapors of Valtor, Crimson Bands of Cytorrak, Images of Ikonn, etc.

Kinda worried that the Arakki are going to be wiped off the board and never mentioned again like the Builders, Ex Nihilo, Abyss, etc. from his Avengers run.

Astonishing Member

The Octessence is a good idea, but the Exemplars were not and were just coasting on the fact that they were counterparts fo the Juggernaut.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Still salty about the abandonment of the Octessence, and the invocations named after them. Tons of magical folk over the last decade doing 'never done it before, never gonna do it again no matter how useful it would be' one-off random magical crap, but depressingly little use of Vapors of Valtor, Crimson Bands of Cytorrak, Images of Ikonn, etc.

Kinda worried that the Arakki are going to be wiped off the board and never mentioned again like the Builders, Ex Nihilo, Abyss, etc. from his Avengers run.

I mean they got decimated in Judgement Day, got immediately blown up in Sins of Sinister and apparently there is already another war coming with the return of Genesis. Once the Krakoa era is over a few might make the jump but the rest will be gone. I think that much is already clear with the kind of story telling they get.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Because YOU demand it! It's the Dr. Strange and Chris Angel team up you have been waiting for!
    Hickman can tell a good story, but the designs for these new characters are so uninspired and boring. It’s like they’re made for a low budget TV adaptation. It’s especially jarring when they’re next to classic characters that have such vibrant and interesting looks.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Doesn't that guy in the Strange cover look like JT from Secret Warriors?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Doesn't that guy in the Strange cover look like JT from Secret Warriors?
    I don't see it but having Hellfire escape from hell would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Hickman can tell a good story, but the designs for these new characters are so uninspired and boring. It’s like they’re made for a low budget TV adaptation. It’s especially jarring when they’re next to classic characters that have such vibrant and interesting looks.
    I think that's sort of the point? I think they're specifically supposed to not be superheroes, supervillains, that sort of thing.

Whether it lands, well, we will see lol.

I’ve changed my mind. I won’t pick this up unless it gets amazing reviews, which I doubt it will. The whole thing looks stupid.

We still know basically nothing besides a few vague statements and some OCs so I still will keep my eyes on it and hope we get some more concrete infos soon. But if that doesn't wow me then yeah Im not that excited for it either. Im certainly no Hickman stan and the thought of reading a story about some secret war that is fought between OCs doesn't interested me that much. If those characters also end up being somehow more awesome and important then already established characters then I might even be pissed off to be honest.

I haven't listened to the Podcast myself but someone over at the X-forums did and there was some nugget about Gods. Apparently he first wanted to do this Gods story at DC but then came back to Marvel instead.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...he-Cerebro-pod
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    We still know basically nothing besides a few vague statements and some OCs so I still will keep my eyes on it and hope we get some more concrete infos soon. But if that doesn't wow me then yeah Im not that excited for it either. Im certainly no Hickman stan and the thought of reading a story about some secret war that is fought between OCs doesn't interested me that much. If those characters also end up being somehow more awesome and important then already established characters then I might even be pissed off to be honest.

I haven't listened to the Podcast myself but someone over at the X-forums did and there was some nugget about Gods. Apparently he first wanted to do this Gods story at DC but then came back to Marvel instead.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...he-Cerebro-pod
    Hickman didn't mean this project when he said that. He meant the New Gods by Jack Kirby.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/New_Gods

Towards the end he describe GODS as Sandman +Saga which is a high bar to cross.

That's really it from the podcast.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-02-2023 at 02:39 AM.