Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Ian Mcnee - Managed to banish Chthon to Flickering Realms. After this, Oshtur appeared to him and told him that he, along with his partner Ashake, must work to repair the structure of magic.
    Anton

Anton Vanko the first crimson dynamo died saving Iron Man by firing an unstable, experimental laser pistol at Turgenev, apparently killing himself in the process. He's now reconstituted himself in our reality, and is one of the few "Futurists" having walked between worlds long enough to see the forces working inevitable end of man and creation.

Lila Cheney - The intergalactic teleporter has begun unravelling with each jump making her progressively younger and able to see the cosmic entities suddenly can she unravel the enemies before she's too young to fight the thing thats begun hunting her.

Etc Etc ... probably Moondragon or Ashake etc... but the principle is theres sooo many characters with fans that are HUNGRY to see them used, or characters with so much gravitas just waiting to be used.
    Now that God's is out... I stand by this. It isn't that I hate new characters. I think it falls into that same thing where I get irritated with legacy characters sometimes. There's just so many characters sitting around the marvel universe that need to be used. I suppose when someone makes a new character they get payment for it more so... Maybe that's the only way
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Astonishing Member

I guess this was the destroyed reality
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-71241

Amazing Member

I liked the issue and loved the art. But I totally get all the criticism it will get: way too expensive, as most Hickman's work it will read way better in trade because there's not enough intrigue month to month and comic fans don't want new characters, specially leading a big book.

Why Marvel gave this the green light and treated like a such a big deal? not sure, supposedly this was a big pitch by Hickman and I guess Marvel will do anything in it's power to keep him in house and lose him again but after reading issue #1, I don't see any scenario were this comic was going to be a commercial success.

If the story is good enough and once it ends we have an awesome 12 issue story then sure, sales will come, but as a monthly? this **** is gonna get panned at least until Hickman does his usual "big reveal/twist" about half way through, and by that point most people would've probably stopped caring lol.

I've seen a lot of comparisons to Constantine

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    Thats kind what I gathered from the characterization. Its "man, I wanna write john Constantine" by hickman
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

It was very Constantine. I didn't mind the first issue, I'm a Hickman fan and excited to read whatever he writes for Marvel but this wasn't worth $10.00. I would have rather he continued on X-Men than this.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

So are those tentacle monsters the same ones from X of Swords? That plot thread was dropped so long ago

I thought this was a decent enough Hickman issue but it didn't seem to have much within the storytelling to justify a 10 dollar issue of just 60 pages. I think Hickman was only trying to go for a more cinematic blockbuster kinda comic book like his Avengers book which is fine if it's worth is 5 to 7 dollars. Honestly the way the creators are being paid in the comic book industry, I don't blame Hickman either for such pricing and propagating Marvel's own Constantine version of character lol

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    Thats kind what I gathered from the characterization. Its "man, I wanna write john Constantine" by hickman
    See also: Damn Them All by Spurrier. Female Constantine and not much more, though overall a decent book.

Feels more like "What do you mean, I can't write Doctor Strange?"

Dark-haired magic-user with a goatee and white streaks.

White-haired woman he loves but can't be with.

Snarky assistant who primarily acts as a source of information.

They battle mystic threats that nobody else knows about.

I mean, even one of the variant covers calls him out on this:

(I'm sort of amazed Young got away with this)

Strange is stately and pretentious. Wyn was giving charming but beleaguered, jaded scoundrel, just like Constantine.

I enjoyed it, especially the art, but so far it feels more like he’s tacked on a new cosmology than utilized the existing one (save the Elders). There were recognizable heroes in the wide shots but Wyn was definitely the Constantine / Strange. Kinda wonder if this would have been better served as an original property, where the question is seeing how the world is laid out more than “how does this fit in?” But I’m always a sucker for worldbuilding so I’ll keep following for now

Now that God's is out... I stand by this. It isn't that I hate new characters. I think it falls into that same thing where I get irritated with legacy characters sometimes. There's just so many characters sitting around the marvel universe that need to be used. I suppose when someone makes a new character they get payment for it more so... Maybe that's the only way
    Usually editorials would put together projects before bringing in writers. So your take would be a product of that approach. Unless they wanna use deep cuts like Al Ewing or Jed McKay.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-06-2023 at 06:33 AM.

Incredible Member

I enjoyed it, but surprisingly there was not very much world building compared to what I usually expect from Hickman.
    This felt more like "a day in the life" issue that occurs in the middle of the run, as opposed to the setup for an ongoing.
    There is no central mystery or big picture to unpack from this issue aside from that idea that the world of magic is big.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I think what has tainted peoples opinions on Hickman is that he was unable to se his X-Men story through to the end.

I think he’s a fantastic writer. Even his weaker stuff is better than at least half the other things on the stands.
    True, things just went awry in X-Men due to the fact Hickman had a 3 arc/ 6 year plan for his story and writers still wanted to stay in act one. So, its a little unfair to him because we'll never know how the story played out. Hickman knew this was a possibility given the amount of ideas he inserted, so he decided to step away as the X-Men writers wanted to explore Krakoa more.

I also knew that I was cooking with dynamite, and it was very possible that what I had written in House of X... was not actually the first act of a three-act story, but something that resonated more deeply and worked more like Giant-Size X-Men, where it would represent a paradigm shift in the entire X-Men line for a prolonged period of time. So, during the pandemic, when the time came for me to start pointing things toward writing the second-act event, I asked everyone if they were ready for me to do that, and to a man, everyone wanted to stay in the first act. It was really interesting because I appreciated that House of X resonated with them to the extent that they didn't want it to end, but the reality was that I knew I would be leaving the line early."
    https://comicbook.com/comics/news/ma...-plan-hox-pox/