Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    How do you come at the God Quarry being the first Iteration of the universe?
    It’s the seal atop the cosmic ‘slurry’ left over from the end of the First Cosmos as the bedrock all the other multiverses were built on

Breaching it and flooding the eighth cosmos with the remains was 616 Mephisto’s whole omni-murder/suicide plan

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    How do you come at the God Quarry being the first Iteration of the universe?

As for G.O.D.S. itself. It’s too early to tell. These vague concepts of some Library society need to play out a little longer so maybe after the first arch we may get a handle on what goes on here. But Hickman has a very cynical outlook on life, and he seems to be getting near the end of his tether.
    It's mentioned on the first page of Avengers Alpha #1. More accurately, the Quarry walls off what remains of the First Firmanent from the rest of the multiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    It’s the seal atop the cosmic ‘slurry’ left over from the end of the First Cosmos as the bedrock all the other multiverses were built on

Breaching it and flooding the eighth cosmos with the remains was 616 Mephisto’s whole omni-murder/suicide plan
    Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    It's mentioned on the first page of Avengers Alpha #1. More accurately, the Quarry walls off what remains of the First Firmanent from the rest of the multiverse.

I must have forgotten that. Thanks for reminding me.

Invincible Member

I finally got around to reading G.O.D.S. and I really enjoyed it. Having said that, I'm really curious about the original pitch and how it came about. As few people have already mentioned, it's not hard to squint see archetypes from the Big 2.

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Hickman. And it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't like GODS, there's something that must have really escaped me.

I have a lot of issues with this comic, firstly the protagonists: either we're dealing with shallow concepts (Wynn's sidekick is a dim-witted genius who exists only for jokes, and his love interest is a cold and competent beauty with no distinct personality), and as for the hero, Wynn is an immortal blend of Constantine and Doctor Strange but without the flaws: he is funny, handsome, a little pensive but not too much, without any of the flaws that make the best heroes of the Marvel Universe.

I won't even mention the fact that we didn't see them during the 10,000 "Babylon events" in the Marvel Universe, let's put that aside. It's just that I don't feel like I'm seeing characters, but rather concepts. When I read Lucifer or Sandman, the strength is that the authors not only make the gods relatable, but populate their work with secondary characters who resemble us. Here, I feel like I'm seeing a bad Nolan movie. It's well-written but cold.

It's like a Vertigo comics who don't understand Vertigo Comics.
    Nice to see I'm not alone in feeling this.

The interaction between Wyn and Aiko reads like an essay about love.

Reading issue one I have zero interest in the characters but some in the concepts. It feels like something that has been reworked. It feels almost regurgitated.

A big reason why a vertigo comic work for me is when it blends the witty, the quirky and the emotionell with the fantastic. Hickman has the fantastic part down. He can be clever and in his own way quirky. It's the rest that falls flat. I could live with it in S.H.I.E.L.D. Doubt I can do the same here.

Amazing Member

Hickman doing one of his traditional moves by mentioning and teasing Black Swan.

Not a lot happened in issue #2 but I'm all in on this journey and I laughed at how Schiti made Mia's reaction to basically everything.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Enjoying this. It’s nice to see Hickman doing a story that’s seemingly positive in nature.

I didn't give this a try. I have been following the thread and the consensus seems to be that this is Marvel's attempt at a Vertigo title. Am I getting it right?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Issue 2 is a step up with Mia's introduction but the reveal of the In-Betweener was anticlimactic to me.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-13-2023 at 06:47 AM.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I didn't give this a try. I have been following the thread and the consensus seems to be that this is Marvel's attempt at a Vertigo title. Am I getting it right?
    Yeah, but it doesn't have that "noir" vibe that a lot of those older Vertigo books have. I guess he's kinda nailing the high sci-fi concept though.

Amazing Member

I thought issue #3 was fucking great.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomura99 View Post
    I thought issue #3 was fucking great.
    3 seperate plots coming together for a cliffhanger ending. I'm curious how the next issue solves it.

So far, I think this series is great. It doesn't feel like Vertigo. I find it helps to re-read issues 1 and 2 to bring you up to speed. Enough big surprises happen per issue to keep me intrigued.