Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

So I read issue 2.

Is Hickman sure he wasn't drawing from Gaiman's Books of Magic instead of Sandman? Cause this feels like BoM?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

G.O.D.S. is ending "for now" in issue #8.

The "Marvel Ongoing" strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    G.O.D.S. is ending "for now" in issue #8.

The "Marvel Ongoing" strikes again!
    I think Marvel was expecting it to be a big hit, and when the general reactions to it online was a dull "meh" they decided to pull the plug.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think Marvel was expecting it to be a big hit, and when the general reactions to it online was a dull "meh" they decided to pull the plug.
    I am an unabashed Hickman fanboy, and even for me this is a dull read.

It just doesn't have the excitement that HOX/POX or his other Marvel epics had.

This may be a litmus test of how much can Hickman get away with, especially with originally created characters (even though I love his indie books).

Astonishing Member

I found the latest issue to be interesting, and it certainly seem to be trying to underline a difference between the sufficiently advanced superscience the Centum use and magic as cause & effect vs choice & consequence.

It does run into to Hickman’s usual issue of developments occurring offpage, now without the benefit of a data page.

The Living Tribunal’s redesign has grown on me though

I liked the chapter but it is hurt by Mia and Aiko's relationship being entirely off screen. We basically just saw her recruit Mia.

Beautiful stuff on display

if #8 ends with a 'you have new gods now' kind of beat, i'll pray at Hickman's throne

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    They were trumpeting it as their Saga or Sandman (shades of their Sleepwalker). So yes they were certainly expecting a sleeper hit and it didn't land. Much like how the PR for HoX/PoX expected it to be much bigger (comparing it to Giant Size X-Men, X-Men #1, AoA, GMoz's NXM).

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

In some fairness Sandman wasn't a ginormous hit when it started, the acclaim it got came and was built up over time.

Which I think is the concern with Gods. It has potential and there is plenty room for improvement as Hickman finds the right groove to work on, but thats dependent on it getting renewed for a second season after issue 8 releases.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I just don’t see how they wrap anything up by #8.

Still a little unconvinced the plan for a return isn’t already in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post

Is there much plot left to resolve? There didn't seem to be much of a plot to begin with. It just felt like a weaker version of Planetary's early issues to me. It's mostly episodic with most plots being wrapped up already. The only thing left is explaining whatever happened to Dmitri's parents.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post

If I'm not mistaken someone in either this thread or another said Brevoort mentioned a return in his newsletter.

Astonishing Member

I mean, the fact that Ewing seems to have been tapped to continue whatever the Inbetweener is up via Immortal Thor does indicate that either a) Ewing is interested in the stuff or b) management is

We’ve seen what happens to IP Marvel has no interest in revisiting (not how quickly the Eternals vanished again, who swiftly the Inhumans slaughtered, any number of minor teams and characters who were dropped like a rock)