Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Jonathan Hickman and Valerio Schiti"s 'G.O.D.S.'

I'm a bit leery about "…revisits some characters and concepts that we’ve reimagined for a more modern, continuity-driven audience.”

Honestly, does the cosmic corner of the Marvel U -need- re-imagining? Or is he just adding more complexity for the sake of the story he wants to tell?

Incredible Member

So friggin excited for this as I've been a big fan of Hickman's concepts for Marvel. Some individual issues of his can drag from time to time, but as a whole his long term planning is always great.

Side note: I wonder if Ewing's Ultimates will come into play. The Eternity War was a pretty mad trip.

I'm excited for it and I'm looking forward to meeting all the new faces.

I'm very much looking forward to this series.

I see why it was compared to sandman. It seems like a big change but then again writers barely use abstracts besides Eternity and Galactus. Maybe this could breath some life into that corner.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    I see why it was compared to sandman. It seems like a big change but then again writers barely use abstracts besides Eternity and Galactus. Maybe this could breath some life into that corner.

With how Hickman treated a lot of these abstracts during his Incursions arc, he might be doing this as an apology.

Can’t wait! And maybe Hickman will actually get to finish his story this time
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The cynical take on this is Hickman's prepping the In-betweener and his cohort for the MCU. The counter-take is, they've been gathering dust anyway.

I'm excited, if only cause they're nowhere to go but up. The talent is there; hoping the boys make magic on the page.

I really want to read this.
    My hope was Hickman writing Thor, the character has suffered a lot in recent years with Aaron and now with this uncertain future in the hands of authors who prefer to write other characters to the protagonist of the comic. (Seriously, who buys a Thor comic to read Jane Foster?)

The premise sounds very vague so far, but I’m curious.
    I hope Hickman focuses a bit more on building character development and not only plot and world building.
    A “Sandman” with Hickman’s usual level of character focus wouldn’t really work IMO.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Looking at some of the early renderings of cast and characters. This will probably be a pass for me. I'm getting that "Why do all of the other characters have all of the fun?" feeling, coupled with a healthy dose of "Marvel's creation myths are always so predictably one brush." Hope I'm wrong.

For those who are subscribing to this series, please write lots of reviews, folks. I may check out an issue or two, if overwhelmingly compelling.

Well, I'll say this for Hickman, he's certainly swinging for the fences, and he's swinging hard. Sounds a little esoteric, but that's par the course for him. I hope this is good.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The premise sounds very vague so far, but I’m curious.
    I hope Hickman focuses a bit more on building character development and not only plot and world building.
    A “Sandman” with Hickman’s usual level of character focus wouldn’t really work IMO.
    I don't think Hickman will ever write a character piece in Marvel. He said after his X-Men run that Marvel pays him a lot of money for him to create big events with big ideas. So I'm pretty sure G.O.D.S. will be about plot more than anything else, which is what Hickman does best. Expecting him to do the opposite (in Marvel at least) is setting yourself up for disappointment.

He can still write cool **** like what he did with Apocalypse or Synch but idk, this feels like Hickman going as big as possible. I have zero doubts there's gonna be a number of people that will hate what he does with some characters, but the majority will read and enjoy his plot-based stuff.
    Last edited by Nomura99; 03-29-2023 at 11:16 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Get the EFFFF outta here I am so excited, friggin' finally an actual honest to G.O.D. original idea!