Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I have had very limited exposure to Hickman. I only know him from his X stuff. He strikes me as Grant Morrison but with the heart removed. Mark Millar without the wacky nihilism Warren Ellis without the memorable character work It's big stuff, but he doesn't give you a reason to care.

It's like the dollar store version of big idea comics. Maybe I need more exposure but I'm trying to get through his Avengers and it's kind of a slog.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-31-2023 at 10:31 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I have had very limited exposure to Hickman. I only know him from his X stuff. He strikes me as Grant Morrison but with the heart removed. Mark Millar without the wacky nihilism Warren Ellis without the memorable character work It's big stuff, but he doesn't give you a reason to care.

It's like the dollar store version of big idea comics. Maybe I need more exposure but I'm trying to get through his Avengers and it's kind of a slog.
    His Secret Warriors and FF are better than his Avengers, IMO.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

that's a pretty good approximation, except for the "dollar store version"

he's one of the only writers with big sci-fi ideas, I mean even when he was relatively unknown his SHIELD and Secret Warriors were wild as all hell

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

he's one of the only writers with big sci-fi ideas, I mean even when he was relatively unknown his SHIELD and Secret Warriors were wild as all hell
    Ah yes... Secret Warriors. Where major plot points were resolved off-screen, and the inciting incident of the entire story line turned out to be a lie by Nick Fury that got a lot of young heroes (including his son) killed.

That's the book that turned me from a rabid Hickman fan to "well, maybe I'll take a look". Eventually, I got bored with him introducing new characters & subplots for no reason that barely impacted the story, and now, I barely look at his stuff.

I fully expect that Graphic-Oriented Data Sheets will be a beautifully conceived "plot machine", but I doubt it will have any heart. I'll stick with Jed Mackay's magical stuff, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Ah yes... Secret Warriors. Where major plot points were resolved off-screen, and the inciting incident of the entire story line turned out to be a lie by Nick Fury that got a lot of young heroes (including his son) killed.

That's the book that turned me from a rabid Hickman fan to "well, maybe I'll take a look". Eventually, I got bored with him introducing new characters & subplots for no reason that barely impacted the story, and now, I barely look at his stuff.

I fully expect that Graphic-Oriented Data Sheets will be a beautifully conceived "plot machine", but I doubt it will have any heart. I'll stick with Jed Mackay's magical stuff, thanks.

but weren't a lot of these issues because the book got cancelled?

if I remember correctly he had 50 issues planned

the same can be said for his X-Books and again he was booted off the books, I can't fault him because of editorial mismanagement

but weren't a lot of these issues because the book got cancelled?

if I remember correctly he had 50 issues planned

the same can be said for his X-Books and again he was booted off the books, I can't fault him because of editorial mismanagement
    Except...

When he knew the book was canceled, rather than focus on wrapping up the story, he was STILL adding subplots.

Case in point... he introduced two entirely new super teams (and killed them off) in the first issue of the final arc of the book.

And then revealed two issues later that they died fighting an enemy that was under Fury's control the entire time.

Cogs in the machine.

BANNED

People took word for word of Schiti that this isnt an Avengers or Strange's story. Rather an x-book huh

Just don’t screw with current continuity or create any alternate universes and I’ll be happy
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Just don’t screw with current continuity or create any alternate universes and I’ll be happy
    Safe bet. Every reimagining is ultimately a retcon...so you can basically expect some writer to come along later claiming this is an alternate universe or other departure from canon that won't work for their story.

No, it really is not...

If you read Secret Warriors and that is your assessment?

I'd say you must have just skipped anything involving Ares/Phobos.

There are other instances, but that is the one that really sticks out.

Except...

When he knew the book was canceled, rather than focus on wrapping up the story, he was STILL adding subplots.

Case in point... he introduced two entirely new super teams (and killed them off) in the first issue of the final arc of the book.

And then revealed two issues later that they died fighting an enemy that was under Fury's control the entire time.

Cogs in the machine.
    I take it you mean the "Grey..."/"Black..." teams?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I take it you mean the "Grey..."/"Black..." teams?
    I do. I was being vague to avoid spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    No, it really is not...

If you read Secret Warriors and that is your assessment?

I'd say you must have just skipped anything involving Ares/Phobos.

There are other instances, but that is the one that really sticks out.
    true, but the Ares/Phobos stuff is pretty esoteric if you haven't kept up with the Ares mini or Incredible Herc stuff. I remember when I first read Secret Warriors I was utterly lost until I read all of the back matter.

That is one of the things that irks me about Hickman is that he rarely gives background info, I mean if you didn't read Illuminati or some of the various Bendis Avenger's stuff a lot of Hickman's Avengers would be so confusing.

The series description reminds me of Ewing's recent run on Defenders.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-02-2023 at 08:40 PM.

I do. I was being vague to avoid spoilers.
    "Moderate..." Secret Warriors spoilers...

spoilers:
    I take it "Vague..." is leaving it up in the air that Pierce's "Black" team was clearly alive and well at the end of issue twenty-eight?
    end of spoilers