Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Disney Layoffs strikes Marvel! Disney lays off Perlmutter!

Not going to lie. Didn't know he was still here after the crap he pulled from the movies but looks like he got laid off.

“Mr. Perlmutter, 80, was told by phone on Wednesday that Marvel Entertainment, a small division centered on consumer products and run separately from Marvel Studios, was redundant and would be folded into larger Disney business units,” reports the New York Times.
    Perlmutter was among those pushing for Nelson Peltz to join the board.

Nelson Peltz of Trian Group had been pushing for a spot on the Disney board, but finally dropped the fight. “Our filings indicate that both Ike and Nelson were working together to try to encourage the board or convince the board to put Nelson on the board,” Iger told CNBC. “They have a relationship that dates back quite some time. We bought Marvel in 2009. I promised Ike the job that he would continue to run Marvel after that. Not forever, necessarily. But after that.”

He also infamously almost fired Kevin Feige, but was stopped by Bob Iger.

Perlmutter, whose position was shifted to chairman in 2017, was “intent on firing Kevin Feige” in 2015, Iger said. This would have been around the same time that Feige was in talks to switch to DC because of frustrations with Perlmutter. Feige is now Chief Creative Officer at Marvel.

“I thought that was a mistake,” Iger continued in regards to Perlmutter firing Feige, “and stepped in to prevent that from happening. I think Kevin is an incredibly, incredibly talented executive that you know, the Marvel track record speaks for itself. And so I moved the moviemaking operation of Marvel out from under Ike into the movie studio under Alan Horn.” Horn was chairman of Walt Disney Studios at the time.

CNBC’s David Faber asked if there was animosity left after this decision, and Iger said, “You’d have to ask Ike about that. But let’s put it this way. He was not happy about it. And I think that unhappiness exists today. And you know, what the link is between that and [Nelson Peltz], his relationship. I think that’s something that you can speculate about. I won’t.”

Perlmutter came to Disney with the purchase of Marvel in 2009.

Marvel Entertainment co-president Rob Steffens and chief counsel John Turitzin were also laid off.

Under CEO Bob Iger, the company is undergoing the first of three rounds of layoffs, expecting to total around 7,000 positions eliminated. The three Marvel Entertainment leaders join Senior Vice President of Production for Hulu Mark Levenstein, , senior vice president of Production Management & Operations for Freeform Jayne Bieber, and Disney VP of Corporate Communications Jeffrey R. Epstein.

Just last week, executives at The Walt Disney Company were asked by Iger to identify thousands of potential layoff candidates in an effort to cut nearly $5.5 billion in costs. Iger is reportedly on “a push for profitability.”

The company’s restructuring comes after previous CEO Bob Chapek was fired last November. Though many changes have already been made within the company after his exit, the stock price continues to be an issue. The majority of job cuts are expected to happen after the April 3 virtual meeting with shareholders.

https://wdwnt.com/2023/03/breaking-m...tter-laid-off/

Astonishing Member

To be honest, I'm shocked that he still worked there.
    Either way, it should have happened a long time ago.

I could have sworn he went into politics when trump was elected and don't recall hearing anything else about him after Feige was made CCO

Extraordinary Member

I’m not an ageist. But wtf, he was 80 years old. Why didn’t they force him to retire sooner?

Edit: besides Ike himself, how does this effect Marvel Entertainment division under Disney?
    Last edited by Will Evans; 03-29-2023 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’m not an ageist. But wtf, he was 80 years old. Why didn’t they force him to retire sooner?

Edit: besides Ike himself, how does this effect Marvel Entertainment division under Disney?
    One word: Layoffs. I expect Marvel will have its own bloodbath soon like what DC went through.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    One word: Layoffs. I expect Marvel will have its own bloodbath soon like what DC went through.
    With DC it was mostly editors, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It definitely will! Look at that first line in the quote! Marvel Entertainment, which is the division in charge of the comics, is CLOSING DOWN!

Quote from Deadline which states it more clearly.
    https://deadline.com/2023/03/marvel-...ey-1235312663/
    Permutter’s Marvel Entertainment will be folded into other parts of the Disney corporate umbrella. Perlmutter’s oversight included comic book publishing (which reportedly earns $40M-$60M annually), as well as game licensing and arena shows.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I mean, good? It's not like it seemed like he was still doing anything in the company.

Niffleheim

Does layoff really apply to someone that owns so much Disney shares?
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-29-2023 at 09:57 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Ultimate Member

F..k that guy.

The man's an ardent Trump supporter and terribly racist and sexist.

I don't even think he was doing anything substantial at Marvel anymore on a day-to-day basis.

Good on them for kicking ol'Ike out! Also...

"and Disney VP of Corporate Communications Jeffrey R. Epstein."

O_o

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

No doubt Kevin Feige is delighted given how much he hated Ike. Inhumans fans should be also happy since it was the petty to and fro with these two that killed them as a concept within Marvel to the point where the only successful Inhuman had her origins and powers changed in the MCU (and no doubt will follow shortly in the comics).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    With DC it was mostly editors, right?
    Yeah but it also led to cost cutting in other areas too. DC didn’t offer any exclusive contracts for a while and their trades department was reduced to just putting out Batman trades.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

So, does what does this mean for Marvel Comics? Is this good or bad? Or is it one of those "it depends on how you look at it" situations?
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    So, does what does this mean for Marvel Comics? Is this good or bad? Or is it one of those "it depends on how you look at it" situations?
    Translation: Marvel Comics, which has operated independently from Disney for the most part, has now been moved into a larger Disney-ran department.

Everything that's happened to DC Comics over the last decade? Prepare for the same to happen to Marvel Comics.
    https://twitter.com/ryanhigginsryan/...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

Ike being gone is good, Marvel getting folded into Disney will probably be bad.