Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default DC Elseword movies have been more sucessful than the DCU movies

Watching a Shazam 2 review and someone mentioned it. The Standalone DC Movies from the last 4-5 years mostly The Batman and Joker have been very successful while the last 4 DCU movies have flopped.

Birds of Prey
    Wonder Woman 2
    Black Adam
    Shazam

I wonder why WB still wants to conutnutie with another DCEU with James Gunn who writes with the humour of a 12 year old. They should be focusing only of separate movie franchises for their DC characters. Review down below.

Incredible Member

Being part of a shared universe can’t save a bad movie from being bad.

Black Adam and Shazam may as well have been standalone movies. Part of the problem is that those two specifically should have been more connected than they were.

i've always thought DC Elseworld comics were better than the regular DC comics.

Incredible Member

I don’t count Batman and Joker as a sign of DC Elseworlds success.

A Batman movie (or Batman adjacent) is going to make money. Doesn’t even matter if the movie is any good or not. I didn’t find those movies enjoyable, and knew it was unlikely going into it that I would not like it. And I still viewed it anyway! Cuz it’s Batman!

More interesting to see how non-Bat related elseworld movies perform.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    AMEN!

Gaslight, Tarzan Superman, Red Son, Kryptons Enslavement of Earth, "Cat" Woman, Tangent ... Some of my favorites.

Also, didn't the first Shazam do really good? This is news to me that it was a flop.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Niffleheim

I'll consider DC Elseworld a success if and when they venture outside the Batman IP.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    Generally, the self-contained stories have always been better than anything within regular continuity (New Frontier and Kingdom Come probably being the best examples, imho). All-Star Superman and most of the Black Label stuff is miles better than anything going on in the regular books, right now (with the notable exceptions of World's Finest and Nightwing, of course ).

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I'll consider DC Elseworld a success if and when they venture outside the Batman IP.
    This is an incredibly good point.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

To give you something to talk about...

"Two of DC's biggest characters sold more movie tickets than a film released a month before lock downs started, one released at the height of lock downs, and two films about characters the general public have barely even heard of. THE DCU IS DOOMED!!!!!!!!"
    Last edited by Noodle; 03-30-2023 at 11:03 AM.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

All DC movies are Elseworlds, other than the ones we haven't seen yet.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Being part of a shared universe can’t save a bad movie from being bad.

Black Adam and Shazam may as well have been standalone movies. Part of the problem is that those two specifically should have been more connected than they were.
    Honestly in my opinion most of those movies have been better then the current mcu movies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    the last 4 DCU movies have flopped.
    Birds of Prey
    Wonder Woman 2
    Black Adam
    Shazam
    You left out the The Suicide Squad (2021).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Honestly in my opinion most of those movies have been better then the current mcu movies.
    thy are both a different kind of disappointing. MCU is just generic disney disappointing while DC was at a middle road after Snyder.

WB did not know how to stare the series. The criticism I have with DC was, they did not really need to do a cinematic universe to answer marvel. it felt as if it was done in bad faith. perhaps this is why their last movies have gone no where at the box office. Wonder Woman 2 was releases on VOD though I don't think it will have done all that well given the reception.

I wish DC will just stop the cinematic universe thing, They don't really need it. Their elseworld movies ( Batman and Joker sequels) are now the most important films the genre needs to escape the rut.

I will like to see an elseworld Superman and Wonder Woman movie again with a competent director and writer as Matt Reeves has with the Batman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Ok, but does that make the statement untrue?

Astonishing Member

I enjoy an interconnected universe. Reading comics all my life there's always interactions with other teams and heroes. Mind you there's too many big end of the world crossovers but it's a blast to see other heroes teaming up onscreen. It's not a necessity but I find it makes the movie experience better. For those that oppose it I guess they never read too many comics when they were young.