Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Coming in December: Superman The Silver Age Omnibus #1

I've been hoping for this for a long time, via Bleeding Cool.

There's no cover art yet. What would you guys like to see? I'd like to see this cover to the comic that came with the DCD Superman Through The Ages set repurposed for the cover.

superman through the ages (2007) (fse&wezz-dcp) 01.jpg

Astonishing Member

Interesting that they seem to have picked 1958 as the starting point...with Action Comics # 241 being the iconic first Fortress of Solitude story.

The Silver Age Batman Omnibus on the other hand starts with 1956 and Batwoman's first appearance.

I would have thought they'd stick to 1956 as the cut-off date for Superman as well (especially with Doomsday Clock pegging 1956 as the debut of the Silver Age Superman). Or they could have gone earlier to 1955...Brainiac's first appearance seems like a pretty good place to declare the start of the Silver Age as well.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I bet this will have what was already printed in the DC Archive Editions, I think they were called the Man of Tomorrow Volumes 1-3. I think this is where Superman really gets good, especially the Imaginary Tales.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The "starting point" for the SA is iffy. I would start with Krypto. Superboy is technically considered a SA character even though he debuted in 1945. What's interesting is there's a story from 1959 that features the GA origin.
    Assassinate Putin!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

*sigh*

Of course we have an omnibus where the most demanded material in it has already been featured in several other collections
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    *sigh*

Of course we have an omnibus where the most demanded material in it has already been featured in several other collections
    I get it, I have the archive editions already. But hopefully this will lead to more Silver Age collections with material that hasn't been collected before. A second omnibus should do that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The "starting point" for the SA is iffy. I would start with Krypto. Superboy is technically considered a SA character even though he debuted in 1945. What's interesting is there's a story from 1959 that features the GA origin.
    Agreed. The late 40's/early 50's in particular was kinda a slow transition from the 'Golden Age' to the 'Silver Age' (not that either term was even thought of back then!)

Superboy is another tricky one, since he technically debuted during the Golden Age. When was the first Superman story that acknowledged Superboy? Or the first Superman origin retelling that mentioned him? I think that'd be a good contender for potentially being the 'first' Silver Age Superman story.

I think once the elements that really came to define the Silver Age era started being introduced, that's what could be considered the start of the Silver Age Superman proper. So Krypto's a good bet.

Incidentally, I was wrong about Brainiac...he debuted in 1958 and not in 1955!

Oh, and I think I've read the 1959 story you're talking about...though a flashback to Clark as a kid without showing him in Superboy costume is hardly conclusive 'evidence' that we're seeing the Golden Age origin...

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    *sigh*

I want some of the early fifties stuff finally collected. For one thing, there's an origin from the early fifties which is the only one I don't have.
    Assassinate Putin!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I want some of the early fifties stuff finally collected. For one thing, there's an origin from the early fifties which is the only one I don't have.
    It's not useless because any omnibus is bound to include material that virtually no one would have. Aside from the very famous stories... maybe about 80% of this one is new to me also. There's just so freaking much that the chance is high they'll stop before the stories get out of a certain mold.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I know Jerry Siegel was supposedly miserable this era, but I think these are his best stories. They are “talky” comics but I like how strange and of an era they are.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

We're getting closer to the Bronze Age stuff finally getting trade releases.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Only Action Comics and Superman? I get that Supergirl and the Legion have their own Omnibuses, but as I'm not holding my breath for Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen and Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane omnibuses, I'm a little disappointed that those two aren't showing up here.

...Also, how much Superboy material that isn't about the Legion actually shows up in the Legion omnibus?? None, right?

I mean, I get why. They want a heavy Legionnaire focus in their book that says "Legion" on the cover. But like... between Superboy, Olsen, and Lane, it seems to me that a lot of Super material from the Silver Age is getting left off the table here!

... I might still buy it though. What can I say? These things are cool.
    Last edited by Adekis; 03-31-2023 at 11:04 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I can see why Jimmy, Lois and Superboy's titles aren't included in this omnibus. They should get their own omnibuses.
    I'd also love to get more World's Finest omnibuses.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I can see why Jimmy, Lois and Superboy's titles aren't included in this omnibus. They should get their own omnibuses.
    I'd also love to get more World's Finest omnibuses.
    I agree, I would love to see Jimmy and Lois get their own omnibus, and Superboy too! It's just, like I said, I'm not holding my breath! So since, to me, that seems unlikely to ever happen, it would have been nice to see that material covered in this series.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I'm just thrilled to see SA Superman content getting re-released. I hope this is a full run of omnibuses and that they'll do well enough for Bronze Age follow-ups.