Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    People are allowed to critique work when they are spending their money on it.
    I no longer hold any emotional connection to these characters. My main problem is that this "storyline" is OMD all over again; a totally contrived OOC behavior-driven narrative that makes not a lick of sense in-universe. As an aspiring author (who has recently been tapped by a major media company that saw my work online, yay), I am insulted by the sheer stupidity involved.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Agreed. It's just a circle-jerk of ranting and overreacting to every minor thing. I don't even like this run and I find this board's tendency to blow everything out of proportion tiresome.
    Here is a point you overlook. There are posters here who are very knowledgeable about Spider-Man’s history. It is one thing to say Wells sucks and quite another to cite canon to point out inconsistencies ( such as Peter versus Johnny) as an example of why they do not care for the run.

Agreed. It's just a circle-jerk of ranting and overreacting to every minor thing. I don't even like this run and I find this board's tendency to blow everything out of proportion tiresome.
    This conflict is poorly set-up and the characters are behaving like idiots.

This is going to be another bad Spider-Man comic in a bad Spider-Man run. But it doesn't matter because it's Amazing Spider-Man so stores are going to order plenty of this issue. Amazing Spider-Man is "too big to fail" so this run will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

This is going to be another bad Spider-Man comic in a bad Spider-Man run. But it doesn't matter because it's Amazing Spider-Man so stores are going to order plenty of this issue. Amazing Spider-Man is "too big to fail" so this run will continue.
    I do wonder how these events if they prove as monumental as advertised will work with the whole "put the toys back in the toy box undamaged and the way you found them for the next writer" Spidey Office philosophy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Here is a point you overlook. There are posters here who are very knowledgeable about Spider-Man’s history. It is one thing to say Wells sucks and quite another to cite canon to point out inconsistencies ( such as Peter versus Johnny) as an example of why they do not care for the run.
    Being knowledgeable about something does not make them except from being biased, negative or having knee-jerk reactions. Dan Slott is very knowledgeable about Spider-Man. I think his interpretation of the character is still wildly off base most of the time.

I've been reading the character for over 30 years, so I'm not exactly lacking in my understanding of the character either.

Hey, remember when people on here were convinced Paul was a child abuser based on nothing? Let's not pretend everyone on here is rational.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

And yet, if Wells had Peter and MJ get married at the start of this run, nobody would be nearly as critical. And we all know it.

Astonishing Member

There's some reasonable, measured critique, but it always gets drowned out by the hyperbole, as though each issue is the worst issue ever with no redeeming qualities, and every line of dialogue a personal slight.

Quote Originally Posted by vhm74 View Post
    I guess some people here have been collecting ASM and getting attached to the characters for more than 20-30+ years now, it's not as easy as just "move on".
    What's the alternative? You can either continue reading a comic you know you're going to hate, or spend your time on something else.

If someone's hated all 22 issues of this run of Amazing Spider-Man so far, they're probably going to hate issue 23 as well. And 24 and 25 and 26 and 27...

A new creative team will come around eventually, that may or may not be more to the tastes of the people not digging this run.

When a comic series runs 60+ years with constantly changing creative teams it's unrealistic to expect it to always sync up with your tastes. The world changes, the comic changes, and your taste changes.

And yet, if Wells had Peter and MJ get married at the start of this run, nobody would be nearly as critical. And we all know it.
    We know Editorial would never have allowed that. Peter never even proposed to MJ in Spencer's run despite the set-up of wanting to ask her and seeing he had a ring that he intended for her.

The fact is that he went in the opposite direction of Spencer's run by tossing out the relationship with no explanation for over 20 issues.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 03-31-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

If the stories were great people would not be so critical: I am waiting for the first Wells Spider-Man story half as good as Spider Island or Ends of the Earth. Instead we get stuff like Beyond which was the worst version of Ben Reilly ever.

Fantastic Member

Can’t speak for everyone, but “Peter Parker, punching bag for every supervillain there is, Norman Osborn, multiple murderer and Peter Parker’s best friend, and Debt Collector, secret murderer who gets eaten by demons” would still suck marriage or no.

Also this is a terrible nothing response to the criticisms. “Well if one of the crappiest aspects of the run was completely different, you probably wouldn’t hate it as much.” Yeah, duh.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    If the stories were great people would not be so critical: I am waiting for the first Wells Spider-Man story half as good as Spider Island or Ends of the Earth. Instead we get stuff like Beyond which was the worst version of Ben Reilly ever.
    Don't forget you have decent characterization of Janine in Beyond then a sudden turn to villainy in a single issue and her characterization in Dark Web were just awful. Except when she was used in another book by someone else

If they were written well, probably?

Peter is considered family so why the hell would it not register him as an ally.

Also...what's up with the Spider-Man costume and explosions in PA. Was that shown ANYWHERE prior to this?

Also, I get the urgency, but Peter wouldn't be this headstrong, especially to the FF. He'd explain himself to Cap, let them get their proof and then have more allies to help him with what's going on. This is INSANELY out of character. Though it's Wells so we shouldn't be shocked....

Do we? I recall Spencer getting criticism, mostly justified, while also getting them back together after 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Also, I get the urgency, but Peter wouldn't be this headstrong, especially to the FF. He'd explain himself to Cap, let them get their proof and then have more allies to help him with what's going on. This is INSANELY out of character. Though it's Wells so we shouldn't be shocked....
    I'd argue Peter being headstrong is the single in-character thing here (and mostly because Wells is just paying homage to his first run-in with the F4), if delivered so awkwardly. Wells struggles so hard to find a voice for an experienced street level character, the lack of build up in his loss of temper makes Peter come off as unhinged and his tough guy talk is teenager stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    There's some reasonable, measured critique, but it always gets drowned out by the hyperbole, as though each issue is the worst issue ever with no redeeming qualities, and every line of dialogue a personal slight.

What's the alternative? You can either continue reading a comic you know you're going to hate, or spend your time on something else.

If someone's hated all 22 issues of this run of Amazing Spider-Man so far, they're probably going to hate issue 23 as well. And 24 and 25 and 26 and 27...

A new creative team will come around eventually, that may or may not be more to the tastes of the people not digging this run.

When a comic series runs 60+ years with constantly changing creative teams it's unrealistic to expect it to always sync up with your tastes. The world changes, the comic changes, and your taste changes.
    Exactly, I don't have a problem with critiquing the books at all- I've done my fair share of it over the years- but a I feel lot of it that I see for the last couple years errs on the side of hyperbole rather than genuinely trying to engage with it at all.