Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I’m not big on conspiracy theories at all, so take this as you will, but towards the end of this video Perch says Marvel is doubling down on keeping Peter and MJ apart not because of any real story reason, but to spite the fans who want them together because Marvel doesn’t want those fans to “win” and feel entitled (and he says he’s been told this by two different writers who don’t know each other). https://youtu.be/1CkkBfdFSi8
    Interesting. I mean it does seem fairly transparent based on the recent Twitter back and forth. Whether justified or not, I think there are many creatives that view upset fans as bullies as opposed to disgruntled customers. And so they're responding to large swaths of their consumer base as such. I don't think this is something that's even limited to Spider-Man. You see it in comics, film, television, gaming, etc. for a variety of popular IPs.

It's just one big power struggle. Fans feel empowered by social media to voice their opinion, and feel entitled to be heard because they're choosing to spend disposable income on disposable media. And creatives feel empowered by their positions, and feel entitled to a sense of a gratitude because they're providing such media. Except engaging in this type of power struggle with fans is doing the book and the brand no favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Interesting. I mean it does seem fairly transparent based on the recent Twitter back and forth. Whether justified or not, I think there are many creatives that view upset fans as bullies as opposed to disgruntled customers. And so they're responding to large swaths of their consumer base as such. I don't think this is something that's even limited to Spider-Man. You see it in comics, film, television, gaming, etc. for a variety of popular IPs.

It's just one big power struggle. Fans feel empowered by social media to voice their opinion, and feel entitled to be heard because they're choosing to spend disposable income on disposable media. And creatives feel empowered by their positions, and feel entitled to a sense of a gratitude because they're providing such media. Except engaging in this type of power struggle with fans is doing the book and the brand no favors.
    It's definitely bound to bite them in the future. If the fans get fed up...we can just take our money elsewhere. But for the creatives...if the fans leave...they're out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    The same goes the other way around. Life is too short to put up with poor writing, poor characterization, pointless dtawn-out mysteries, and all the BS since Wells got on the book. That's why fans are complaining.
    Then stop reading the comic books problem solved. Trust me, you'll be happier concentrating on something else that you find less frustrating. Sorry, but Marvel isn't going to change because people might be unhappy. It took me a long time to reach this conclusion but it's the truth of the situation.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Then stop reading the comic books problem solved. Trust me, you'll be happier concentrating on something else that you find less frustrating. Sorry, but Marvel isn't going to change because people might be unhappy. It took me a long time to reach this conclusion but it's the truth of the situation.
    I haven't read the book since Spencer left (Wells' writing is too cringe for me to get through). I'm concentrating on a bunch of other comics right now that I find less frustrating. What now?

You didn't have a chance against Tombstone, or against the Vulture. Do you think you have a chance against F4 and Captain America?

Think, Peter, think!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I haven't read the book since Spencer left (Wells' writing is too cringe for me to get through). I'm concentrating on a bunch of other comics right now that I find less frustrating. What now?
    Enjoy life and collect classic Spidey adventures it's what I'm (mainly) doing these days.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter D. Parker View Post
    You didn't have a chance against Tombstone, or against the Vulture. Do you think you have a chance against F4 and Captain America?

Think, Peter, think!
    Technically, the fight(s) with the FF and Cap would be happening in the flashback story explaining how we got to the s***storm that started this run.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't recommend paying attention to an angry comicsgate YouTube guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    And who might that be, Perch? I'm genuinely curious about who you mean as this thread has mostly been users here debating rather than posting videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Comicsgate is a wretched hive of scum and villainy, true enough, but that doesn't mean he's not at least somewhat right about editorial or execs at Marvel holding their fanbase in contempt despite needing that same fanbase engaged and willing, if not eager, to consume their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Comicsgate is a wretched hive of scum and villainy, true enough, but that doesn't mean he's not at least somewhat right about editorial or execs at Marvel holding their fanbase in contempt despite needing that same fanbase engaged and willing, if not eager, to consume their products.
    I know he is right at least about one writer because that writer has told me the same type of story. I cannot go into details here for obvious reasons (because the info contains what might be considered a "personal attack" on another creative) but it is true (Perch's claim that one anyway). Now, I'm not sure who the second writer is, no idea.

I know he is right at least about one writer because that writer has told me the same type of story. I cannot go into details here for obvious reasons (because the info contains what might be considered a "personal attack" on another creative) but it is true (Perch's claim that one anyway). Now, I'm not sure who the second writer is, no idea.
    I'm reminded of your comment in the C2E2 thread concerning Spider-Man about pro wrestling having the only fanbase/creator relationship or exchange more toxic than comics, now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm reminded of your comment in the C2E2 thread concerning Spider-Man about pro wrestling having the only fanbase/creator relationship or exchange more toxic than comics, now that I think about it.
    Oh yeah, Pro Wrestling is a worse cesspool on both sides than American Comic Books on its worst day. *sigh* It sucks being a fan of both industries at times....

Edit - There is also way more transphobia, homophobia, racism, and misogyny in Pro Wrestling than in Comics or at least both the workers and fans are more open about such.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-01-2023 at 06:36 PM.

Oh yeah, Pro Wrestling is a worse cesspool on both sides than American Comic Books on its worst day. *sigh* It sucks being a fan of both industries at times....

Edit - There is also way more transphobia, homophobia, racism, and misogyny in Pro Wrestling than in Comics or at least both the workers and fans are more open about such.
    Alas, yeah.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

And who might that be, Perch? I'm genuinely curious about who you mean as this thread has mostly been users here debating rather than posting videos.
    To be completely fair, in something that is absolutely as tribal and nonsensical as the whole CG split over comics, CG themselves have thrown the dictionary at Perch (whatever the preferred "enjoys being cheated on a relationship with his significant other" adjective of the season being at the top of said book, naturally) - they constantly claim "no one knows him or cares" because he doesn't take their side unanimously.

The trouble there is that Perch has a solid enough track record and has routinely managed to interview big two talent at his channel, unlike most CG folks that basically make big Youtube bucks by firing Kathleen Kennedy from Disney every 3 months ("this is really it" and whatnot). The whole deal with Spencer and Substack was much coming from his channel (and then it lined up with statements Spencer gave to NYT some months later) as well as Marvel having already picked their creative team and trying to make it look like it could have been Hickman when Wells took over with the current run (the "What did Peter do?" teaser was positively Hickman-esque I think). He also provided sales data telling things the usual CG crowd absolutely loathes to hear (like Slott's ASM run actually being a pretty strong seller, as well as Aaron's Thor, Jane Thor included, or if we go more transmedia, "how Marvel totally faked the box office for Captain Marvel and you're being lied" to is flat-earther nonsense). He has also said that he basically gets crap from both sides - accused of being CG from some, and accused of being "woke beta orbitter" (you know, that buzzword salad and all, the works) from CG themselves.

But since it looks like I'm basically working as a defense attorney here, Perch did get increasingly acerbic as of the last months. While I think that would happen when it feels things are spinning wheels as they are right now as a whole for comics, I'd sooner think a break is healthier than coping with the tedium by adding aggravation to it but that's me. It's still interesting to listen to some behind the scenes stuff that proves right sort of often (at least by comparison with the average youtuber, but less and less so) and some business insights as well here and there.
    Last edited by IamnotJudasTraveller; 04-01-2023 at 06:53 PM.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.