Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheLimboBabies View Post
    Glad this is over soon and we can go back to stories that actually have a bearing on reality.
    Hoho, I’ve got some bad news about the other stories you’ve been reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    lol I had the same thought. As if anything really matters in endlessly, ongoing comicbook series....

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    lol I had the same thought. As if anything really matters in endlessly, ongoing comicbook series....
    even a short 4 issues indie comics run has really little to no bearing on reality. Apart bringing a bit of money to the creators if they're lucky.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheLimboBabies View Post
    Glad this is over soon and we can go back to stories that actually have a bearing on reality.
    Second that.

Only good thing were Ironfire and Loolo. Useless event.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 03-31-2023 at 02:35 AM.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

An interesting story doesn't have to be part of a long form continuity. Wtf

If this isn't interesting to you, fine, but it certainly has value for those that are interested in what happens.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

If this isn't interesting to you, fine, but it certainly has value for those that are interested in what happens.
    I agree with your statement.

However, it does not mean that those who think it is a total waste of money, time, paper etcetera cannot voice their point of view to the event.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Ok, before I didn't believe Sinister was being genuine in trying to fix things. But, now I believe him. He just looks so distraught and miserable. Nice to see Rasputin fighting the Good Fight.
    I still think he's faking it. He's clearly more worried about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Here's what I don't get if everyone is a sinister now and sinisters always betray each other how is their society still functional?
    Emma layed it out for us regarding the Council: everyone is working together until it's no longer convenient for them. Whoever stops being useful is to be betrayed. I imagine the world worked like that.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    heh heh... you mean son.

While true, I can definitely see the frustration of some people when said story basically supplants multiple books of the line for the duration especially when it feels like the X-books just keep getting pulled into one event after another. Even worse for Legion of X which ended on a massive cliffhanger.

Its kind of amusing that mutants, who supposedly embody progress and change, would create a universe where everything is stagnant and rotting. I think its most likely because they refuse to die.

Basically, the same set of of people have are still in charge and are forcing the entire universe to suit themselves, and largely doing it with telepathy to boot. In other words, a tiny group of people (basically the Council) are preventing the universe from changing and growing because they see themselves as the best.

Still, its hard to get too interested because it all still feels like it doesn't matter in the end. Just have to wait for that reset button to get hit.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Its kind of amusing that mutants, who supposedly embody progress and change, would create a universe where everything is stagnant and rotting. I think its most likely because they refuse to die.

Basically, the same set of of people have are still in charge and are forcing the entire universe to suit themselves, and largely doing it with telepathy to boot. In other words, a tiny group of people (basically the Council) are preventing the universe from changing and growing because they see themselves as the best.

Still, its hard to get too interested because it all still feels like it doesn't matter in the end. Just have to wait for that reset button to get hit.
    Your first sentence is REALLY interesting. It's the first time I see that critique on the ressurection protocols, and it puts the whole era in perspective for me. Thanks for making me rethink a lot of things.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post

Ooh, that's interesting. A people who are all about evolution and change, at their core, have transitioned into a force for stasis, for preventing change and evolution. All of Sinister's chimeras, at their core, aren't about creating something *new,* they're about mixing and mashing up different combinations of old things, to *look* new, superficially.

But it could be relevant to point out that this isn't the mutants themselves truly behind this stagnancy. It's all Sinister, a man who stole an X-gene and kind of struts around pretending to be a mutant, who is behind most of this.

Then again, it is true that the older a population goes, the more traditionalist / conservative / protectionist they tend to lean, and there becomes less and less opportunity for the later generations to A) own anything, or B) accomplish anything, because the elders are keeping a death-grip on everything they recognize as valuable. Even in today's academia it has been said that the only way to get a new theory accepted is to wait for the old generation to die (because they are so invested in the old theories).

Decades of superhero comics marketing conflating Quality with "mattering" has corroded discourse on what makes something a good read.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Decades of superhero comics marketing conflating Quality with "mattering" has corroded discourse on what makes something a good read.
    True. Every event seems to pound home the theme 'nothing will ever be the same!' or 'everything changes!' as if anyone actually believed that. Every time a new creative team shows up, continuity sort of gets soft reset anyway, and any 'shocking developments' from the last big hot new thing have a 50% chance of never being mentioned again (or retconned out of existence).

Remember Jean being dead? Remember Xorn being Magneto? Remember Wolverine losing his adamantium? Remember Utopia? Remember Cyclops dying to the T-cloud? All big flipping deals, and now, pretty much irrelevant.

All that 'matters' to me in the end are entertaining stories that 'feel' true to the characters and tone. Getting bits and bobs of continuity right are fun for us long-term readers, but each of us can think of bits of 'canon' that we desperately want to un-canonize, such as Nightcrawler being elected Pope or noseless Wolverine or Glob Herman being a thing that exists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ooh, that's interesting. A people who are all about evolution and change, at their core, have transitioned into a force for stasis, for preventing change and evolution. All of Sinister's chimeras, at their core, aren't about creating something *new,* they're about mixing and mashing up different combinations of old things, to *look* new, superficially.
    HOX/POX gave me the strong impression that the chimeras were always supposed to be seen as the mutants own big step towards becomming "Post Humanity" themself. A reduction of people to nothing but the value of their genes and the attached powers, cut appart, stitched together again and pressed into a human form to fullfill a fuction to their creators desires. Living weapons, living power generators, living tape recorders that recite prayers, etc. The mutants own version of sentinels in a way.

After all their entire existence is based around being mass produced purpose designed organic tools of war, industry and power.

Essentialy Moira X's 6th to 9th life and the events she has set in motion with the informations from it, have not been to give mutantkind a bright future or golden age, but steer them onto the path of self machination. Which might have been her plan from the start. Not to prevent "post humanity" but have mutants win the race towards it.

In this regard it seems fitting that the combination of mutant powers got the term "circuit" and "mutant technology" assigned by the characters in universe, rather than anything related to nature or social interactions.

Similar not much has come out of the idea of "mutant culture" beyond the word being echoed by characters as posturing, likely because it wasn't important for the story planned out. While this event story also showed that even "mutant magic" and "mutant religion" seems like they were only examined in order to be machinized by the villianous power players of this stories.

But it could be relevant to point out that this isn't the mutants themselves truly behind this stagnancy. It's all Sinister, a man who stole an X-gene and kind of struts around pretending to be a mutant, who is behind most of this.
    Wasn't it made a point that the affected characters are not turned into sinister immitations but had their inhibition removed?

Then again, it is true that the older a population goes, the more traditionalist / conservative / protectionist they tend to lean, and there becomes less and less opportunity for the later generations to A) own anything, or B) accomplish anything, because the elders are keeping a death-grip on everything they recognize as valuable. Even in today's academia it has been said that the only way to get a new theory accepted is to wait for the old generation to die (because they are so invested in the old theories).
    A problem bound to become worse in a society in which people consider themself "immortal" because they have set up a manufactory for clone bodies and memory downloads, which promises to endlessly continue their physical existence via replication (since they can't stop their aging and bring themself back from the dead by their own power, it doesn't really count as immortality IMO).

Basicly if everyone remains at eternal ideal physical adulthood, there is a risk of children being left to themself because little value is placed on rasing them anymore, childhood and youth will be considered more as brief phase of being "unfinished", and all the "sturm und drang" that comes with it will be disregarded as just a "phase", including ideas for change and going into different directions.

Something which has been partialy explored in Way of X and New Mutants allready. Though such development should have taken years instead of happening barely a few weeks after the Nation has been established. But it's not like these works allow slow burning developments or even serious decade long time jumps, unless it's reversable "alternate futures" like this event.

Thinking about it, the idea of a society of immortals in which the first generation has settled into their positions of powers/prominence/value from which they never leave, dooming all following generations to be second fiddle or exist without achievable purpose, is almost meta to the super hero comics of Marvel and DC...
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-02-2023 at 02:01 PM.