Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    The art is not my cup of tea.

It's difficult to describe. Everything and everyone looks gooey...like they are made out of dough.
    definitely a bit of a departure from his usual style. I know he had a hand injury that severed a nerve and he pretty much had to relearn to draw, I wonder if that contributed to the rougher than usual look.

Love seeing Double Dare again, but I sure dont want them conscripted into being Batman villains now. They belong to Dick!!
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Mighty Member

Love Raphael Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    definitely a bit of a departure from his usual style. I know he had a hand injury that severed a nerve and he pretty much had to relearn to draw, I wonder if that contributed to the rougher than usual look.

Love seeing Double Dare again, but I sure dont want them conscripted into being Batman villains now. They belong to Dick!!
    Wow, that's harsh and empowering at the same time. Always impressive to hear folks overcoming such bad luck.

When was the accident? Do you have any idea?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Everyone gets a kid nowadays. They need to stop, it just makes the main characters older.

I agree that almost every hero has kids now . I think they should stop . No more kids for anyone else .
    I actually preferred the Damian Robin book .
    With what's going on with Batman & Tec , Batman & Robin book seems out of place .
    I've been getting it , but I think that I'll drop it soon .

Astonishing Member

With what's going on with Batman & Tec , Batman & Robin book seems out of place .
    Yeah, and that's the best part of it, considering how terrible the main series is currently.

spoilers:
    This was a pretty fun one.

I like how Williamson acknowledged continuity with the Double-Dare twins working with Dick and Babs in Taylor's Nightwing but also unsurprisingly went back to their thieving ways (and their skimpier costumes).

Being busted by jokey Batman is pretty unsettling.

I feel like one of the overarching themes of this run is Bruce trying to have him and Damian do normal father/son things only for their costumed careers to get in the way...but still end up deepening their familial bond.

The most dangerous game with Bruce and Damian! It was great seeing them casually take out all those hunters without even having to suit up.

Bloodsport in a Batman book instead of a Superman book was unexpected (stop stealing villains, Bruce!) but it was cool to see him here. He seemed to realize Bruce was Batman by the end so probably a good thing he got teleported away.

Roulette in an outdoors-y look was surreal, I don't think I've ever seen her outside her red dress, but it was fun seeing her. I think this is one of the few (if only) times she's actually been caught and arrested in the comics.

Cameron Chase appearance!
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I just don't understand how Howard Porter continues to get work, his art here (as it always is) is just terrible.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I just don't understand how Howard Porter continues to get work, his art here (as it always is) is just terrible.
    I might be misremembering, but i'm pretty sure he had some problems with his hand and had to learn how to draw with his off hand.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I might be misremembering, but i'm pretty sure he had some problems with his hand and had to learn how to draw with his off hand.
    I mean, it's impressive and all props to him as a person...but for me as a reader it just looks terrible and I just can't see why you'd continue to put him on books. If this book didn't have Batman and Robin on the cover and you were just randomly shown it would you even know that was Bruce and Damian?

The story itself was fun, especially with the reveal at the end that Bruce knew it wasn't going to be a simple camping trip from the start but man the art just killed the book.

As an aside, I don't think it's injury related unless it's flared up long after the fact and gotten worse recently because his work of Doc Savage back in 2010 was solid and no where near as terrible as it is now and the accident was in 2006.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 01-30-2024 at 03:16 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I mean, it's impressive and all props to him as a person...but for me as a reader it just looks terrible and I just can't see why you'd continue to put him on books. If this book didn't have Batman and Robin on the cover and you were just randomly shown it would you even know that was Bruce and Damian?

The story itself was fun, especially with the reveal at the end that Bruce knew it wasn't going to be a simple camping trip from the start but man the art just killed the book.

As an aside, I don't think it's injury related unless it's flared up long after the fact and gotten worse recently because his work of Doc Savage back in 2010 was solid and no where near as terrible as it is now and the accident was in 2006.
    Yeah, I don't like his art nowadays, and I would never put him on my list of favorite artists of all time. However, I really liked his run on The Flash with Johns and his JLA with Morrison.

But I have a lot of respect for him for reinventing himself and still being in the game after all these years.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yeah, I don't like his art nowadays, and I would never put him on my list of favorite artists of all time. However, I really liked his run on The Flash with Johns and his JLA with Morrison.

But I have a lot of respect for him for reinventing himself and still being in the game after all these years.
    Yeah, back in the day he was great, and I respect him for coming back from his injury and apparently other financial difficulties if what I just read is correct...but what he's putting out now is just objectively bad and like I said unless there have been further complications with his hand it appears to be a weird "creative" decision as his art in Doc Savage and Superman Beyond were from right after he came back from his injury and they were both great books while his work with Williamson on Shadow War and Dark Crisis has just been terrible.

I don't think it was amazing art but I think it still conveyed the story and characters well enough.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post

for the record...

I had no knowledge of his hand injury or nerve damage. I am saddened by this news.

I can not change my opinion on the art in this issue...so I did not buy it.

I didn't know he had an injury, just thought he had changed his style to be more like Denys Cowans. Makes sense now, and is too bad, I liked his style on JLA (wasn't perfect, but I liked it). I didn't mind his work here, but it was pretty bad on Shadow War.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I know I'm in the minority but I think I like Porter's work more now than his work in 90's. But I understand why most don't like it. As an artist myself I don't even understand how he was able to train himself to draw with his other hand. It's beyond impressive.