Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    This was a pretty fun one.

I like how Williamson acknowledged continuity with the Double-Dare twins working with Dick and Babs in Taylor's Nightwing but also unsurprisingly went back to their thieving ways (and their skimpier costumes).

Being busted by jokey Batman is pretty unsettling.

I feel like one of the overarching themes of this run is Bruce trying to have him and Damian do normal father/son things only for their costumed careers to get in the way...but still end up deepening their familial bond.

The most dangerous game with Bruce and Damian! It was great seeing them casually take out all those hunters without even having to suit up.

Bloodsport in a Batman book instead of a Superman book was unexpected (stop stealing villains, Bruce!) but it was cool to see him here. He seemed to realize Bruce was Batman by the end so probably a good thing he got teleported away.

Roulette in an outdoors-y look was surreal, I don't think I've ever seen her outside her red dress, but it was fun seeing her. I think this is one of the few (if only) times she's actually been caught and arrested in the comics.

Cameron Chase appearance!
    end of spoilers
    I'm really appreciating this aspect of the series. It feels true of their relationship [of the Batfamily as a whole] they are not your typical family and they don't relate the same.

I really liked Damian telling Bruce that and it being okay that they aren't normal.
    They don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Yeah, and that's the best part of it, considering how terrible the main series is currently.
    Right.

I'm thankful for this series. Makes up for the main Batman series. Tec isn't bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I'm really appreciating this aspect of the series. It feels true of their relationship [of the Batfamily as a whole] they are not your typical family and they don't relate the same.

I really liked Damian telling Bruce that and it being okay that they aren't normal.
    They don't have to be.
    Though some normal life stuff has their place in their lives .

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Right.

I'm thankful for this series. Makes up for the main Batman series. Tec isn't bad either.
    I'm glad people are enjoying this cause I just can't get into it. Something about the voices with Bruce and Damian feel off to me and I can't quite nail down what it is.

Extraordinary Member

Batman and Robin #6 Preview
    Writer: Joshua Williamson
    Artist: Nikola Cizmesija

So he's not Zsasz' son but a fanboy?

Hey, they referenced Damians' history with Zsasz !

spoilers:
    I like that Williamson remembered Damian's experience with Zsasz (bring back Colin!).

So not the son of Zsasz but a Zsasz fanboy projecting on the guy who killed his parents. Kind of goofy. Also his suit looked like a ripoff of Fantomex from Marvel.

I love how Damian just goes right up to her, in full view of the soccer team, to accuse her straight to her face. Boy does not waste any time.

Damian still fighting his killer instincts.

My favorite moment was definitely Bruce learning about Damian's art and reading his first comic. I also love how the first page is literally Damian's self-insert kissing a leading lady. Is she meant to be based on Flatline or that girl from the manga he read in Williamson's Robin run?

That was a really nice moment of the father-son connecting as father-son and Bruce trying to do what Damian wants instead of what Bruce wants for Damian. So many years of Bruce being a bad or neglectful dad but now he's finally trying.

Wow, things have moved fast. Man-Bat has his own cult now.

Time for Bruce to meet Damian's girlfriend as Flatline returns!
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I like that Williamson remembered Damian's experience with Zsasz (bring back Colin!).

So not the son of Zsasz but a Zsasz fanboy projecting on the guy who killed his parents. Kind of goofy. Also his suit looked like a ripoff of Fantomex from Marvel.

I love how Damian just goes right up to her, in full view of the soccer team, to accuse her straight to her face. Boy does not waste any time.

Damian still fighting his killer instincts.

My favorite moment was definitely Bruce learning about Damian's art and reading his first comic. I also love how the first page is literally Damian's self-insert kissing a leading lady. Is she meant to be based on Flatline or that girl from the manga he read in Williamson's Robin run?

That was a really nice moment of the father-son connecting as father-son and Bruce trying to do what Damian wants instead of what Bruce wants for Damian. So many years of Bruce being a bad or neglectful dad but now he's finally trying.

Wow, things have moved fast. Man-Bat has his own cult now.

Time for Bruce to meet Damian's girlfriend as Flatline returns!
    end of spoilers
    Oh! I'm here for ALL THIS
    looks like it's going to be a funny and interesting issue. Can't wait to finish work now.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, it was great. This type of father and son characterisation is something both Bruce and Damian really needed over the past years.
    Great to have spoilers:
    Flatline back.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Another good issue (except for that last page). I liked that there were three sections to the issue. Made it feel like I got a lot out of a little.

People are rightfully pointing out that it was cool Williamson included a reference to Damian's history with Zsasz, but my guy, my dude, you wax poetic constantly on your podcast with Sal Crivelli about how Back In Your Day comics had editor's note pointing readers to older issues when they were referenced and how that was a big appeal of comics, to discover its history and continuity, and it's too bad that editor's notes aren't really used in the modern day (no one's stopping you, Josh), and yet he fails to do in his damn comic to include an editor's note when he's referring directly to prior history. Was it Streets of Gotham or Gates of Gotham did Damian fight Zsasz? I don't recall and I'm not going to look it up because wouldn't it have been nice if Williamson went ahead and took it upon himself to remind his own readers when that happened? /rant

Anyway, I really like this comic lmao.

Damian becoming unhinged when confronting Principal Stone was fun to see unfold.

Bruce and Damian talking about what happened at school and Damian finally opening up a little bit and sharing his art with his father was so sweet.

Now let's see what's happening in the main Batman bo-OH MY GOD! Never mind, this is the only Batbook that matters.

And now that last page. One thing that rubbed me the wrong way prior to the issue coming out was it looked like Damian was going to her and lifting her up, but instead it was Flatline rushing at him and he's only reacting. I am only slightly more OK with such an interaction. Bruce's cringe was palpable because same!
    end of spoilers

A few extra things:

I think the lettering is too consistent. I know that's a weird criticism but all the speech bubbles are exactly the same size and there's little to no variety. More creative lettering would have gone a really long way in putting over the emotions of the characters speaking. Instead, having everyone have the exact same speech bubbles really takes me out of the book, especially when the art is so expressive.

I don't like how much the artist makes Damian look like Tim but that problem is overcome by how he draws and makes Damian physically act in such a distinctly Damian way that his character can't be mistaken for anyone else.

I also want to give a shout out to the colorist Rex Lokus. I don't think I would've enjoyed the past two issues nearly half as much as I have without his colors. He really brings the book together in a really coherent way and also makes each scene look and feel different and yet still feel apart of the same whole.
    Last edited by garazza; 02-13-2024 at 10:51 PM.

Mighty Member

Really digging this series so far. Williamson is the peak Damian writer.

Quick question. Do people think Damian is a bit too loose with keeping his secret ID?

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    spoilers:
    Another good issue (except for that last page). I liked that there were three sections to the issue. Made it feel like I got a lot out of a little.

People are rightfully pointing out that it was cool Williamson included a reference to Damian's history with Zsasz, but my guy, my dude, you wax poetic constantly on your podcast with Sal Crivelli about how Back In Your Day comics had editor's note pointing readers to older issues when they were referenced and how that was a big appeal of comics, to discover its history and continuity, and it's too bad that editor's notes aren't really used in the modern day (no one's stopping you, Josh), and yet he fails to do in his damn comic to include an editor's note when he's referring directly to prior history. Was it Streets of Gotham or Gates of Gotham did Damian fight Zsasz? I don't recall and I'm not going to look it up because wouldn't it have been nice if Williamson went ahead and took it upon himself to remind his own readers when that happened? /rant

Anyway, I really like this comic lmao.

Damian becoming unhinged when confronting Principal Stone was fun to see unfold.

Bruce and Damian talking about what happened at school and Damian finally opening up a little bit and sharing his art with his father was so sweet.

Now let's see what's happening in the main Batman bo-OH MY GOD! Never mind, this is the only Batbook that matters.

And now that last page. One thing that rubbed me the wrong way prior to the issue coming out was it looked like Damian was going to her and lifting her up, but instead it was Flatline rushing at him and he's only reacting. I am only slightly more OK with such an interaction. Bruce's cringe was palpable because same!
    end of spoilers

A few extra things:

I think the lettering is too consistent. I know that's a weird criticism but all the speech bubbles are exactly the same size and there's little to no variety. More creative lettering would have gone a really long way in putting over the emotions of the characters speaking. Instead, having everyone have the exact same speech bubbles really takes me out of the book, especially when the art is so expressive.

I don't like how much the artist makes Damian look like Tim but that problem is overcome by how he draws and makes Damian physically act in such a distinctly Damian way that his character can't be mistaken for anyone else.

I also want to give a shout out to the colorist Rex Lokus. I don't think I would've enjoyed the past two issues nearly half as much as I have without his colors. He really brings the book together in a really coherent way and also makes each scene look and feel different and yet still feel apart of the same whole.
    I used to think they were getting better about editor's notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Really digging this series so far. Williamson is the peak Damian writer.

Quick question. Do people think Damian is a bit too loose with keeping his secret ID?
    He's always been .

I'm really glad Damian has Williamson on his side. The book has been really enjoyable so far.

Mighty Member

I used to think they were getting better about editor's notes.

He's always been .
    Really? How so?

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Really? How so?
    If you look at Damian's attempts to "blend in" before like in Gotham Academy or even in Tomasi's run he's not very subtle about anything.