Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Says who? You.

The few times they've had him in a relationship, I've found to be enjoyable. His DCAMU relationship with Raven was the most popular pairing in that Movie verse and recently won the hBO@Home [b]Valentine fav couple poll [based on couples from all the DC content currently on HBOMax including the DCEU Movies, Live shows and animation] by a landslide.

Damian in a relationship can and has been done. It just has to be done well.
    Oh man now that was a terrible romance. I'll be glad to never have to see it again or referenced.

Which in fairness Damian was pretty bad in those films, he was grossly overexposed and was pretty much the only character to receive the happiest ending cause Raven was the only Titan that survived to be his girlfriend.

Which I'm not saying this cause I hate Damian, but I hate how he was used in those films. They made him insufferable as Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Oh man now that was a terrible romance. I'll be glad to never have to see it again or referenced.

Which in fairness Damian was pretty bad in those films, he was grossly overexposed and was pretty much the only character to receive the happiest ending cause Raven was the only Titan that survived to be his girlfriend.

Which I'm not saying this cause I hate Damian, but I hate how he was used in those films. They made him insufferable as Hell.
    Really? I've seen wayyyy worse.

Although I can acknowledge he was an acquired taste in those movies, especially because he was a main character so often.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Although I can acknowledge he was an acquired taste in those movies, especially because he was a main character so often.
    I think being the sole survivor of both the Titans and the Batfamily was sort of the last straw for me.

The only other Titans to survive was his girlfriend and his dad survived fine, meanwhile the only other one left Nightwing as another sign of his mistreatment in that setting got killed and when resurrected was left as a vegetable.

Like the movie ending on him getting a final kiss with Raven pisses me off in a way I can't understand. I viscerally detest that relationship same as I do Tim and Bab's romance from the Arkham games. Just terrible Batships all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

From what I can tell, the people who dislike or even hate Damian, usually only know him from those movies or Injustice. Take that as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I think being the sole survivor of both the Titans and the Batfamily was sort of the last straw for me.

The only other Titans to survive was his girlfriend and his dad survived fine, meanwhile the only other one left Nightwing as another sign of his mistreatment in that setting got killed and when resurrected was left as a vegetable.

Like the movie ending on him getting a final kiss with Raven pisses me off in a way I can't understand. I viscerally detest that relationship same as I do Tim and Bab's romance from the Arkham games. Just terrible Batships all around.
    I kind of understood who survived and why because it was basically all the "main characters" of the movies, minus Dick who got turned into a vegetable.

I think it was meant to convey love even at the end of the world and how it persists despite everything, but if you didn't care for it from the beginning I can get why it wouldn't do it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    From what I can tell, the people who dislike or even hate Damian, usually only know him from those movies or Injustice. Take that as you will.
    I think it's kind of reflective of people who still dislike him from the Morrison era.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    From what I've observed mostly comic fans dislike him in those movies while casuals feel opposite.

Injustice Damian killed and is bratty so the dislike is understandable.

I quite like the DCAMU relationship between Raven and Damian. It felt natural and well developed as we saw their dynamic evolve.

It was unexpected but very welcome.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 04-21-2023 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Good for him. That's not the comics, though. Those are movies that are under no obligation to follow what was set in comics and comics have no need to follow what's done in the movies, no matter how badly publishers think making their comics more like the movies actually sells more books.

As someone who's interests in comics started because of the MCU being so prevalent in fandom and pop culture, I hate when outside media is forced to have an influence over the comics I'm reading. I came to comics for the comics, not the movies. When I started reading Damian, Tomasi and Gleason's B&R was wrapping up and R:SoB was about to launch, so Damian's entire history up until that point included absolutely no romance and there was no problem with that with the sole exception of Battle for the Cowl when he was still brand new as a character and had yet to become what we know him as today where he's written trying to impress an unnamed girl by taking the Batmobile for a joyride before she gets eaten by Killer Croc (almost as if that book was written by a misogynistic writer that had no interest in actually establishing a love life for Damian nor was ever followed up on or established as consistent character trait for the next 10 years).

The next time romance is brought in relation to Damian was the Glass/Thompson TT run where the book's explicit intent was to character assassinate Damian so anything established by that run is not to be considered in character for or a part of Damian.

Plus, in Superman Rebirth we get to meet the Bizarro version of Damian, where being the exact opposite of Damian, he is overly flirtatious and is constantly affectionate towards all the other characters. That sure says to me that romance is not a part of actual Damian.

I'm not pulling my understanding of Damian's character out of my ass, it's based on the history of books DC published that advance Damian's character instead of regressing him.
    It's based on a 10 year old. Not many 10yr olds have romances in comics. Your understanding is of 10yr old Damian ashe adjusts to 'normal society'.

He has grown since then. As people grow they usually change. Have new experiences and gain new interests.

10 year old Damian didn't have a love interest [he could barely interact with others] but else where, in other titles, grownup alternate versions of him did. Like the guy from multiversity and even before that we had Kingdom Come's Ibn.

He had love interests in the comics first. Well the age appropriate versions of him did.

The run started with Damian shooting Black Mask in the head and starting a gulag. It was the intent from the very beginning. It wasn't a sudden shift in direction dropped in Glass' lap.

He does have feelings but they won't manifest the same way they do for Bizarro Damian.

Bizarro Damian is stereotypically romantic, handing out roses and the like. Because of his upbringing, Damian is going to express himself in non-typical, non-traditional ways. Yes, he has grown as a character but that growth hasn't been in the direction of making him express himself like everyone else. How he conducts himself would never result in a long list of love interests like it does for Dick and Tim, and making him more like Dick and Tim goes against what there is to like about Damian.

None of this means he can't have a relationship. Just that he'd be different from his brothers which is normal.

He would read Chainsaw Man .

This has really been eating at me, but I don't think I like di Meo's depiction of Damian? He's an artist that has this weird quirk with his lighting I just find annoying for some reason, so he's an artist that can be hit or miss with me, and I generally try to like his work in spite of his flaw, but I just can't bring myself to like it here.

Damian looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much like Tim for my liking. Combined with his weird use of lighting, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and withhold negative judgement before the coloring and lettering gets done, but it just makes me kinda dread how this book is going to look instead of looking forward to it.

And I've been growing a little weary of Williamson's writing lately so I've been not that enthused by what he says in interviews he has planned for a character I really like and supposedly he does too, but his recent outings with Damian have rubbed me the wrong way as a Damian fan to the point it feels like betrayal. I know saying "betrayal" is a little over-dramatic but I don't have any other word to describe what I think I'm feeling. Disappointed, maybe? idk

I thought I would like the school setting, but seeing it here as depicted by di Meo has not excited me beyond my already low expectations and has me not looking forward to this book coming out even more. Like, what school is he going to? He's still going to West-Reeve according to one of the last Super Sons anthology stories and because he's 14 at the absolute oldest that would put him in the 8th grade or is he now a freshman in high school? Because I didn't start having that kind of desk until I get into high school.

I feel weird saying I still want Damian in the 8th grade, but I still find there's value in preserving as much of the Super Sons mythos as possible and I'd rather Damian not follow the same cycle Tim did as Robin, comparing this "new era" so to speak for Damian to when Tim started wearing the red and black costume instead of the red and green. I like that time in Tim's history in retrospect but I don't know how I would feel about them if I was reading comics when those were coming out but I think it be close to what I'm feeling right now.

Extraordinary Member

This has really been eating at me, but I don't think I like di Meo's depiction of Damian? He's an artist that has this weird quirk with his lighting I just find annoying for some reason, so he's an artist that can be hit or miss with me, and I generally try to like his work in spite of his flaw, but I just can't bring myself to like it here.

Damian looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much like Tim for my liking. Combined with his weird use of lighting, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and withhold negative judgement before the coloring and lettering gets done, but it just makes me kinda dread how this book is going to look instead of looking forward to it.

And I've been growing a little weary of Williamson's writing lately so I've been not that enthused by what he says in interviews he has planned for a character I really like and supposedly he does too, but his recent outings with Damian have rubbed me the wrong way as a Damian fan to the point it feels like betrayal. I know saying "betrayal" is a little over-dramatic but I don't have any other word to describe what I think I'm feeling. Disappointed, maybe? idk

I thought I would like the school setting, but seeing it here as depicted by di Meo has not excited me beyond my already low expectations and has me not looking forward to this book coming out even more. Like, what school is he going to? He's still going to West-Reeve according to one of the last Super Sons anthology stories and because he's 14 at the absolute oldest that would put him in the 8th grade or is he now a freshman in high school? Because I didn't start having that kind of desk until I get into high school.

I feel weird saying I still want Damian in the 8th grade, but I still find there's value in preserving as much of the Super Sons mythos as possible and I'd rather Damian not follow the same cycle Tim did as Robin, comparing this "new era" so to speak for Damian to when Tim started wearing the red and black costume instead of the red and green. I like that time in Tim's history in retrospect but I don't know how I would feel about them if I was reading comics when those were coming out but I think it be close to what I'm feeling right now.
    Damian looks like tim because Tim isn’t growing up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    This is true. It wouldn't be an issue of similarity if Tim was allowed to grow beyond 17 years old.

That said, I really like the way Simone Di Meo draws Damian.

I don't like this Damian either. This isn't Damian but I trust Williamson. Hopefully someone at dC realises that Tim is doing so hot and it would be stupid to put a popular character on the path of an unpopular one.

You also have to remember that this isn't from the upcoming Batman and Robin title. It's just a drawing done for fun.

I don't see Damian being in Highschool unless DC is planning on erasing Tim Drake [which is unlikely]I don't see DC bringing their ages closer.

This drawing shouldn't be taken as a representation of the Damian in B&R. Although it is worrying that this is who Di Meo thinks Damian is. Thankfully Di Meo isn;t writing Damian.Williamson is/
    Last edited by Fergus; 06-11-2023 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    DC needs to drag that man out of the 90's. So cringe. He looked even younger in the recent Batman book. Tim's gonna revert back into a fetus one of these days.