Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default DC Comics Events Ruined By Their Popularity

Popularity has always been a double-edged sword. Too many people reading a comic can reveal flaws, and some events haven't aged as well as previous generations of fans believe. Many DC events have been hurt by their popularity, their legacy tarnished by this unfortunate reality.

I find it comical that over half of the ones mentioned were written by Geoff Johns. More info in the link below.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-events...nfinite-earths

10. Crisis On Infinite Earths
    09. Flash: Rebirth
    08. Countdown To Final Crisis
    07. Dark Knights: Metal
    06. DC: Rebirth #1
    05. The Sinestro Corps War
    04. Kingdom Come
    03. Blackest Night
    02. Infinite Crisis
    01. Flashpoint

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

How does popularity ruin an event?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

How is Flash: Rebirth an "event"? It was a self-contained mini-series. The same could sort of be said for Sinestro Corps. War, but that kind of fits the "event" criteria since it tied in with multiple GL books.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I would assume it has to do with expectations and whether the event lived up to those expectations or not.

I would agree with everything on the list except Kingdom Come. However, several of these are still big sellers on Amazon.

I guess people are pretty tired of Crisis'.

Yeah there was nothing wrong w. Kingdom Come.

Some of the stuff that came after as DC milked it’s success though..meh.

Extraordinary Member

The article title does not make sense. That is expected. The introduction does double down on that which is expected. The list is just 10 DC events that were big but maybe won't have people as excited to reread or read for the first time?

There are some fair comments but then there is something like DC Rebirth which might not carry the same emotional punch it did at the time, but it is quite the claim that everyone hates it.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think the article makes sense either, since abotut he only way an event's popularity could ruin it would be to have DC executives figure out there's excitement for an upcoming event, get involved in an unhelpful and damaging way, and then have their demands and requirements bloat the event into sucking...

...So the only version of that I can think of would be The Culling in the early days of the New 52, which went from a small crossover finale between the Teen Titans and Superboy book into one that involved the Legion of Superheroes, had its own special issues, and tried to launch another book on top of it, crammed with storytelling decisions that reeked of editorial shouting things at Scott Lobdell and him nodding his head in a pliable fashion. It had a storyline for maybe 1 or 2 issues, but had like five it was supposed to run through, and wound up starting the descent of all involved books.

It can be easily forgotten, but Lodbell's first six or so issues on Superboy and Teen Titans were workable and significantly better than the rets of his work with those characters; I also think that his pliability to editorial during the bloated event was what won him the job on Superman for a while, because he was so agreeable and willing to be a proxy for editorial.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Fatigue, maybe? Like Flashpoint, I don't think it is a good story, but it's popular.

However, it's so popular that it is the only Flash story general audience knows and what makes people think Flash is only the guy who resets universes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Fatigue, maybe? Like Flashpoint, I don't think it is a good story, but it's popular.

However, it's so popular that it is the only Flash story general audience knows and what makes people think Flash is only the guy who resets universes.
    That's a great explanation. Thank you.

Plus, whether they age well or not.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I find it comical that over half of the ones mentioned were written by Geoff Johns.
    I've read a couple lists posted by this person, they have a few biases that pretty regularly show through. One of them is that they do not like Geoff Johns

I agree with some of these choices, particularly about how Flashpoint's been way overadapted without its context, but it's also important to note this list is basically just an opinion piece from one guy about things he doesn't like that just happened to be published

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    How is Flash: Rebirth an "event"? It was a self-contained mini-series. The same could sort of be said for Sinestro Corps. War, but that kind of fits the "event" criteria since it tied in with multiple GL books.
    I agree on than Flash Rebirth ins't an event book. However on this part of the critique:

It often feels like a copy and paste of Green Lantern: Rebirth and Van Sciver's art isn't nearly as good as before. Fans have turned against the book in recent years, but even back in the day, it didn't burn up the comic world like its predecessor.
    I agree completly.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Crisis is still a great event in and of itself. DC dropped the ball on the follow up -- and despite umpteen Crises later -- still haven't fixed what they broke.

The first Kingdom Come was not an event. The event came later --- and it was a disappointment -- couldn't live up to the original series.

I think the biggest (not the only) way an event's popularity can be ruined is only visible in retrospect. It was so popular, it was copied or retold over and over and over again. So some people who are tired of the repetition blame (or at least have grown to dislike) the original event because of what it spawned. And the folks who don't dislike all that it spawned, but never read it in the first place don't find it exciting because it's all old-hat now, and they've seen it a dozen times before (in later-told stories). Usually, though, this doesn't happen and "the first" retains a place of honor, even if newer readers don't actually enjoy it.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Dark Knight Returns. It didn't need sequels and prequels. Which we wouldn't have gotten if it hadn't been popular.
    Assassinate Putin!