Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default My one (well, not only) complaint about the Beast storyline...

The fact that it's pretty much Hank vs. Logan. Even in X-Force, it's kinda just "yeah, we know he's an immoral a$$ and would probably kill us all, but we can still work with him".

But, how has no one at some point had Scott, Jean, Warren, and (especially) Bobby confront him, as a group? Scott after all of Hank's moralizing during the Utopia era should be up in his face.

We did get a little of Jean doing it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    We did get a little of Jean doing it at least.
    And then we get this gem from Jean, slightly abridged, from one of the past issues of Wolverine:

*Jean goes into Hank's laboratory*

Jean :"Why is Logan chained, naked, and acting like an animal?"

Hank: "Don't worry, he's okay, it's just an experiment."

Jean : "Oh, okay."

*Jean goes away*

All this has really made me dislike the X-Men for how stupid this is making them look.
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Not for the first time, not for the last, I struggle to understand what a Marvel editor does these days.

Extraordinary Member

A lot of this era has been written with the understanding that characters cannot be expected to act in a manner which would have been established in the long history of X-Men comics. As said through Cyclops' conversation with the Fantastic Four, "New beginnings demand a wide berth."

I will always believe that there was something planned that would have had a lot of this explained as part of the plot and not just to support the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    And then we get this gem from Jean, slightly abridged, from one of the past issues of Wolverine:

*Jean goes into Hank's laboratory*

Jean :"Why is Logan chained, naked, and acting like an animal?"

Hank: "Don't worry, he's okay, it's just an experiment."

Jean : "Oh, okay."

*Jean goes away*

All this has really made me dislike the X-Men for how stupid this is making them look.
    To be fair, Jean did the same kind of experiment with Logan back in the throuple days. She probably thought Beast and Logan were doing something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    A lot of this era has been written with the understanding that characters cannot be expected to act in a manner which would have been established in the long history of X-Men comics. As said through Cyclops' conversation with the Fantastic Four, "New beginnings demand a wide berth."

I will always believe that there was something planned that would have had a lot of this explained as part of the plot and not just to support the plot.
    But, how will they explain and move on from having a character like Hank doing so many horrible, disgusting things?

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    To be fair, Jean did the same kind of experiment with Logan back in the throuple days. She probably thought Beast and Logan were doing something similar.
    You seriously made me lol from that.

Extraordinary Member

But, how will they explain and move on from having a character like Hank doing so many horrible, disgusting things?
    Reveal that Xavier altered his mind to make him fit for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Reveal that Xavier altered his mind to make him fit for the job.
    I...I didn't even think of that. Xavier needs Hank to be more hard-edged to serve as leader of X-Force, but his tampering with Hank's mind added to Hank's already severe issues leads to his present behavior. Hank is killed and the others learn what Xavier had done to him. They revive him with the only back-up they have left, and Hank is forced to deal with what he had done but he has diminished responsibility so it's not all bad.

But would Xavier really do that? He once said that Hank was his favorite student. If Marvel doesn't use my soul theory, this is the next best thing.

I think Xavier altering people to make them go along with/assist in Krakoa would explain a lot of out of character behaviour since HoX, and better to have only him out of character. Its been a long time since I've trusted Xavier, though, so it wouldn't seem of of character to me.

If that is the case, it's possible that Hank subconsciously erased part of his back up to undo the meddling.

Personally, I like the theory that Krakoa itself is putting subliminal message in people's minds.

You like Krakoa.
    You want to stay on Krakoa.
    You will protect Krakoa.
    You totally don't mind that Krakoa is eating little bits of you every day.
    Bring more mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Personally, I like the theory that Krakoa itself is putting subliminal message in people's minds.

You like Krakoa.
    You will protect Krakoa.
    Bring more mutants.
    Didn't Krakoa tell Logan to kill Hank in that issue of Wolverine(can't remember which one, it was one of the recent ones)?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

You like Krakoa.
    You will protect Krakoa.
    Bring more mutants.
    It is plausible ,Beast so engaged with the plantinels of Terra Verde and then trying to use these at the gala sort of fits this notion that some sentient biomass could be controlling him. Black Tom has been acting weird and he's used him to get the 'mini-man' out of his system ,but what if BT put something in him? There's certainly ways to work that into the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    It is plausible ,Beast so engaged with the plantinels of Terra Verde and then trying to use these at the gala sort of fits this notion that some sentient biomass could be controlling him. Black Tom has been acting weird and he's used him to get the 'mini-man' out of his system ,but what if BT put something in him? There's certainly ways to work that into the story.
    I've been suspicious of Krakoa since the beginning(really, trusting a sentient island that originally just wanted to eat you seems stupid). What if both Xavier and Krakoa have been manipulating Hank for their own ends? Xavier altered Hank's mind so he'd be more hard-edged to protect the island, Krakoa for some other reason. Two opposing entities affecting his mind, as well as his own severe neuroses, finally broke his mind shortly after the Hellfire Gala, leading to now.

I'm not sure of BT. What strange things has he been doing lately?

Astonishing Member

I've been suspicious of Krakoa since the beginning(really, trusting a sentient island that originally just wanted to eat you seems stupid). What if both Xavier and Krakoa have been manipulating Hank for their own ends? Xavier altered Hank's mind so he'd be more hard-edged to protect the island, Krakoa for some other reason. Two opposing entities affecting his mind, as well as his own severe neuroses, finally broke his mind shortly after the Hellfire Gala, leading to now.

I'm not sure of BT. What strange things has he been doing lately?
    I haven't seen Black Tom in recent issues but from the start he's been traversing Krakoa through the ground and been talking to himself. As if he ain't all there, nothing nefarious though, but still strange.

Yeah the whole resurrection business with memory swaps never sat well with me. The system depends on Xavier or other telepaths having a good day at the office to determine one's identity and being correctly. Then you add on a sentient island and the whole arrangement looks incredibly dicey.