Page 50 of 110 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast

Oh, and Peter needed to get saved. Again.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Assuming Wells himself doesn't. I mean this is leaning heavily into the "we love each other but can't be together" struggle that the two will have to overcome. If this does run does end with Peter and MJ getting back together it will be interesting how this run is viewed in hindsight.
    It would be considered as it is now: worthless trash.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Unless they really spin it well I'm not sure how much of an audience there will be for a Superhero MJ compared to when Amazing Mary Jane spun out of how well Nick Spencer re-established her in ASM.
    Well MJ is still popular so it's probably going to find an audience, if for no other reason than it's something new for her character and there's going to be some initial interest like there was when they were doing the old Jackpot story that also teased she was MJ and of course it turned out she wasn't. This time it will be the "real deal", I just don't care at all, especially coming out of a run like this. Still, they did all of this crap for the sake of that "development" and they'd be looking for some sort of payoff from it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-10-2023 at 05:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well MJ is still popular so it's probably going to find an audience, if for no other reason than it's something new for her character and there's going to be some initial interest like there was when they were doing the old Jackpot story that also teased she was MJ and of course she wasn't. This time it will be the "real deal", I just don't care at all. Still, they did all of this just for the sake of that "development" and they'd be looking for some sort of payoff for it.
    I think the thing about Jackpot in the past was more of a "is she is or is she ain't". Going in knowing it is MJ with the gimmick bracelet and that is is coming off this bad of a run it won't have that interest.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I think the thing about Jackpot in the past was more of a "is she is or is she ain't". Going in knowing it is MJ with the gimmick bracelet and that is is coming off this bad of a run it won't have that interest.
    I hear you, but I learned to never underestimate the casual Spider-Man audience. This book is No.1 every month despite how indescribably awful it is. Chances are portion of the fans who like it could very well take interest in Superhero MJ. It seems clear to me that MJ's character assassination was just to make room for Jackpot, they wanted to change her entire character by trapping her in a post-apocalyptic world to reshape her as a hardened survivor with a different attitude, a "mother" who will end up somehow losing her "family", so she could then emerge as a new "better" person from all the tragedies, while also having yet another excuse to keep her away from Peter going forward. I see no point for them to go to these lengths with her if they didn't think there would be interest, no matter how bad the story.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-10-2023 at 06:00 PM.

I thought this was a dull read

...this broke my heart, and i never thought a comic book would do that.

BANNED

So, maybe I missed a detail, but I just re-read the issue because something bugged me.

How'd they get back in the bunker? When Rabin attacks, he's at their HOUSE. Their house that never gets attacked or destroyed. Yet when Peter shows up, they're in the bunker? What gives?

If I'm right, then my theory this spoilers:
    was all in MJ's head/an illusion would be pretty credible.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    So, maybe I missed a detail, but I just re-read the issue because something bugged me.

How'd they get back in the bunker? When Rabin attacks, he's at their HOUSE. Their house that never gets attacked or destroyed. Yet when Peter shows up, they're in the bunker? What gives?

If I'm right, then my theory this spoilers:
    was all in MJ's head/an illusion would be pretty credible.
    end of spoilers
    They were in the house. For whatever reason when Peter jumped dimensions he went right to MJ or the bad guy or whatever.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

BANNED

They were in the house. For whatever reason when Peter jumped dimensions he went right to MJ or the bad guy or whatever.
    Ah, darn thought I was onto something there. Oh well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    Ah, darn thought I was onto something there. Oh well.
    I think the artist change may make it confusing.

BANNED

I think the artist change may make it confusing.
    It definitely does. I love Andrews and JRJR's art, but they're a very bad combo for a story that transitions from one artist to the other. Feels like there was very little coordination.

What. the. fuck.

I can't believe Zeb Wells is writing this shit.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh, and Peter needed to get saved. Again.
    Of course he does. *sigh* I failed to mention this because it is routine now. Spidey is less competent a crimefighter than he has been since high school arguably ever. Just another aspect to love about the current status quo...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well MJ is still popular so it's probably going to find an audience, if for no other reason than it's something new for her character and there's going to be some initial interest like there was when they were doing the old Jackpot story that also teased she was MJ and of course it turned out she wasn't. This time it will be the "real deal", I just don't care at all, especially coming out of a run like this. Still, they did all of this crap for the sake of that "development" and they'd be looking for some sort of payoff from it.
    Yeah, I feel like it'll have to be banking a lot on her character popularity and whatever appeal and buzz they can get out of it or the premise (although I guess we're assuming she's getting a book or something out of it), but they've done a lot to hurt that themselves at this point.