Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I do find it funny that typical action-adventure tropes are now attributed to the MCU, as though they originated/popularized them.
    It's getting a bit tiresome how much all the people who endlessly gripe about the MCU ruining cinema don't actually know anything about cinema, and seldom seem at all interested in all the non-superhero films that exist.

I do find it funny that typical action-adventure tropes are now attributed to the MCU, as though they originated/popularized them.
    "MCU style" in itself is of course heavily derivative and only a minor variation of your typical early-2000s action/adventure movie style. That said, this movie did feel very MCU, down to colour palette and lighting. Not necessarily a bad thing, and I rather liked it, certainly more than recent MCU offerings, those which aren't No Way Home.

It was maybe just a tad long, backstory parts and Underdark sequence could have been shaved down a bit. But nearly all modern Hollywood movies are overlong, this was not anywhere as offensive as, say, The Batman.

I really didn't buy Chris Pine as a desperate dad, and father-daughter drama was bit of a drag, and could have been done better. Maybe the main villain could have shown bit more personality. I loved how some things really felt DnD - like super high level NPC dropping in to help the group, only to leave "to fight their own fight", or a very useful and helpful magic item found just like that.
    I hope it gets a sequel, box office is bit middling though, even accounting for post-Covid slump which still seems to be effecting.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    "MCU style" in itself is of course heavily derivative and only a minor variation of your typical early-2000s action/adventure movie style. That said, this movie did feel very MCU, down to colour palette and lighting. Not necessarily a bad thing, and I rather liked it, certainly more than recent MCU offerings, those which aren't No Way Home.

It was maybe just a tad long, backstory parts and Underdark sequence could have been shaved down a bit. But nearly all modern Hollywood movies are overlong, this was not anywhere as offensive as, say, The Batman.

I really didn't buy Chris Pine as a desperate dad, and father-daughter drama was bit of a drag, and could have been done better. Maybe the main villain could have shown bit more personality. I loved how some things really felt DnD - like super high level NPC dropping in to help the group, only to leave "to fight their own fight", or a very useful and helpful magic item found just like that.
    I hope it gets a sequel, box office is bit middling though, even accounting for post-Covid slump which still seems to be effecting.
    I saw it at a packed movie theater on Monday evening. I think it still has some legs and the good word of mouth will help.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It's getting a bit tiresome how much all the people who endlessly gripe about the MCU ruining cinema don't actually know anything about cinema, and seldom seem at all interested in all the non-superhero films that exist.

Bingo!!!

Also, can we also stop overusing the word "tropes"

Astonishing Member

I grew up in the 80s with Spielberg and Amblin doing these movies that are action-adventure with comedy mixed in that appeals to both adults and kids.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Back to the Future
    Gremlins
    Goonies
    Innerspace

Of course, Spielberg was influenced by the old serials form the 30s as well as movies like The Adventures of Robin Hood and other swashbucklers.

Not a DnD player, but really liked the movie. Good characters, some fun set pieces, and both humor and heart. Would go for another movie with this cast.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I liked it a lot and loved all the Forgotten Realms tidbits...I geeked out a few times during it...My Girlfriend who doesn't play DnD or know about it liked it, so that is a good thing. If it wasn't marketed as DnD it may have done better?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Just caught this on Paramount+ and about the only positive thing I can say is that Hugh Grant was great in it. The characters didn't draw me in and the adventure seemed to be a pretty thin excuse to jump from one set piece to another. I can't help feeling that this would have been better if we saw the whole story from Harper to thief rather than it just being a rushed flashback, then not only would we have seen the characters grow together and thus care about them more but the whole red witch plot we got here would have been more menacing.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!