Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Rogue&Gambit #2: Spoilers and Review

Usually I start with a recap but not this time. I have to state: Do not buy this issue.
    Avoid it if you can. It’s not worth either your time or money.

So lets go into the recap. We start the issue with Rogue and Gambit walking through the desert. Both are powerless since the fight at the end of last issue. Rogue is angry at Gambit who wants to end their involvement in this adventure(we get Rogue more or less yelling at Gambit).
    They discover that Rogue can touch and then kiss each other. For some reason they hadn’t figured this out before even though they where discussing their lack of powers.

Interlude with the mysterious person holding Manifold and the others prisoned. We get a monologue about the value of him, powers and abilities. It’s vague and bland.

They now enter a small desert town and we are told that they had sex after the kiss. This feels very odd seeing how angry they were and there was no reconciliation. So I guess they are going with the high emotions relationship where they can go from anger to sex without any real buildup towards either.

Gambit tests his powers, he can now charge a card but it doesn’t explode. Witch is odd… because the charge is the explosion. It’s not reversible after it has been charged.

They enter the local bar and we get patrons that are friendly for once. Going against the whole stereotype, witch is nice. We then get Gambits goofy dance. Which is interrupted by Black Panther who does not come of as reasonable, but I have read that this is the case with him these days. He mentions a run in with Storm and that should be the XoSwords plot that I didn’t read.

The patrons try to stick up for Rogue and they attack BP. Gambit then tackles him. BP pummels Gambit for some panels. Gambits powers still don’t work and Rogue then gets a hit on BP. Yeah this version of Gambit can’t beat an egg. It’s sad, sad for the character and sad for us fans of him.

Then the impossible happens. The most egregious thing I have read in a long time. Remy decides they need to escape and he creates a diversion. He ties the barkeep, the female barkeep, to a stove and start the gas and lights a match. She yells for help and they escape with Remy rambling on that BP will surely save her. Rogue is strangely more timid with this then expected, she was more angry at the start of the issue. Overall she also seems to buy the whole thing even though she complains meekly while running away.

They speed away on a motorcycle but Rogue drives(she stated angrily that she should drive). The bar has an explosion from the gas. For some reason Gambit the character who owns motorcycles and drives motocycles isn’t driving. But Rogue is clearly the strong character in this mini. The protagonist while Remy is the comedic sidekick. It’s a horrible dynamic that does neither any favors.

Rogue for some inane reason states that they don’t need their powers to track a mutant. Witch is a non issue, neither of them is Caliban anyway. They visit Forge in the treehouse at the last page.

The end.

This issue is a sham! It’s complete crap that should be buried in the desert with all those E.T. NES cartridges. Stephanie Phillips should feel ashamed and publicly apologize for this!

Has she ever read any Gambit comics before? Gambit does diversions but he would never, never!, risk killing an innocent. Especially not a female. He would go over fire trying to save females, he is biased that way. Rogue of course would not be ok with it either. If BP for some reason didn’t hear or have the time saving her, not to mention shield her from injuries, then guess who has to live with that the rest of their lives?!

Remy gets beaten up again while Rogue gets a hit in. The script is trying real hard to just take dumps on Remy and Rogue suffers too. They are both horrible in this issue. Remy is incompetent and not charming. Rogue is angry and belittling. Overall it’s very far from what anyone would call in character for them.

On the upside Remy isn’t drunk this issue and he tries to charm Rogue, we get the kiss. On the flipside he doesn’t need to be drunk to suck as this issue shows. Rogue is still someone that should just be left alone to sulk for the weekend and hopefully come back with any semblance of a professional attitude the next week.

Overall the characters are idiots in the issue and we readers are treated like idiots too. Overexplaining obvious things in a very decompressed issue that sorely needs more meat.

The art is there. Honestly the issue is so craptacular that I don't’ remember it. Carlos Gomez also needs an apology from Stephanie Phillips! All his art is wasted on this stinker.

Editorial, for whatever role they have in this, should just get booted. Kick them out from marvel. The issue is that bad!

1/10. The one is just for the kiss scene by Carlos. Even then I am angry at myself for being so generous.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Malachi; 04-05-2023 at 09:00 AM.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Then the impossible happens. The most egregious thing I have read in a long time. Remy decides they need to escape and he creates a diversion. He ties the barkeep, the female barkeep, to a stove and start the gas and lights a match. She yells for help and they escape with Remy rambling on that BP will surely save her. Rogue is strangely more timid with this then expected, she was more angry at the start of the issue. Overall she also seems to buy the whole thing even though she complains meekly while running away.
    WTF. I can see him creating a diversion to escape a situation but in no way would he purposefully risk innocents' lives
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    WTF. I can see him creating a diversion to escape a situation but in no way would he purposefully risk innocents' lives
    Yes but Stephanie Phillips doesn't agree with you. All I can say is this is not the Gambit I have been reading about for some 30 years. This is not a character I would like if I picked up this issue as my first issue.

BTW I posted the page where he leaves her.

Astonishing Member

I suppose the barkeep and the patrons that shown kindness and hospitality to Remy and Rogue, are probably going to realized that Orchis had the right idea about mutants with their luck. Remy win for Human Mutant Relations.

Yeah, putting an innocent person at risk was the spoiler I read.

It's a middle finger to the fans.

I'm going to place my bet here. Rogue isn't going to forgive him for this, they're going to break and Remy will either die or become the evil Captain Krakoa of UA.

I'm going to puke (and save a lot of money on comics).

And here's another writer that goes on my list: Don't spend a penny on anything written by this person.
    Last edited by Ilargi; 04-05-2023 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I suppose the barkeep and the patrons that shown kindness and hospitality to Remy and Rogue, are probably going to realized that Orchis had the right idea about mutants with their luck. Remy win for Human Mutant Relations.
    Yup recruitment poster for Orchis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilargi View Post
    Yeah, putting an innocent person at risk was the spoiler I read.

It's a middle finger to the fans.

I'm going to place my bet here. Rogue isn't going to forgive him for this, they're going to break and Remy will either die or become the evil Captain Krakoa of UA.

I'm going to puke (and save a lot of money on comics).

And here's another writer that goes on my list: . Don't spend a penny on anything written by this person.
    Nah Remy is to incompetent to be Cap Krakoa as he is written here. That arc would be over quickly, just send in Xavier to fight him without his powers, it would be over in a couple of panels.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Usually I start with a recap but not this time. I have to state: Do not buy this issue.
    Avoid it if you can. It’s not worth either your time or money.
    Thank YOU......

After reading your review I'm NOT happy with the portrayal of Gambit. I don't understand why Marvel thinks he can't fight. He should be able to handle BP. Especially, when Gambit is one of the BEST Top Fighters of the X-Men.

I LIKE Gambit and Rouges relationship. But NOT LIKE THIS. Thank You. I dodged a Bullet.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Thank YOU......

After reading your review I'm NOT happy with the portrayal of Gambit. I don't understand why Marvel thinks he can't fight. He should be able to handle BP. Especially, when Gambit is one of the BEST Top Fighters of the X-Men.

I LIKE Gambit and Rouges relationship. But NOT LIKE THIS. Thank You. I dodged a Bullet.
    It sucks to write a review like this. Anger fules you but I hate it, i hate that I can't look forward to a mini named Rogue&Gambit. It just plain sucks.

There is just so much wrong with this issue, from the small things to the larger things. On top of that very little happens. It's an unnecessary issue in so many ways.

After a couple of days I will just feel sad and empty after reading this. How marvel can treat us fans like this. It's frankly an insult, the whole issue.
    Last edited by Malachi; 04-05-2023 at 08:37 AM.

It sucks to write a review like this. Anger fules you but I hate it, i hate that I can't look forward to a mini named Rogue&Gambit. It just plain sucks.

There is just so much wrong with this issue, from the small things to the larger things. On top of that very little happens. It's an unnecessary issue in so many ways.

After a couple of days I will just feel sad and empty after reading this. How marvel can treat us fans like this. It's frankly an insult, the whole issue.
    Agreed.

Well, I guess i'm going to have to wait for a Competent Gambit. That won't be for a few years. -_-
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Not they had sex in the desert after all that petty nonsense… I am not paying money to read about a toxic couple no matter how iconic they are. Someone how they were in a better state when they were on separate teams and Gambit was in another dimension. Echoing Cyclone cause you saved me some money and time.

This was not good. Every character behaved like they were written by someone who has never met a human before. Gambit was charmless and really stupid and cruel. Rogue was rude, combative and also a little inattentive to the events around her. Panther had a weird one track mind about Manifold being an Avenger without connecting that manifold is also an X-man, and Rogue is also an Avenger? At least the humans whose bar they destroyed were nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Not they had sex in the desert after all that petty nonsense… I am not paying money to read about a toxic couple no matter how iconic they are. Someone how they were in a better state when they were on separate teams and Gambit was in another dimension. Echoing Cyclone cause you saved me some money and time.
    Yes sadly you are correct. I wonder if even Gambit being dead is preferable. There was an interview with Rogue from the Hellfire Gala that I will post too. It was odd because Gambit was suppose to be dead when it happened, with the whole fake out with his gala design and all.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Malachi; 04-05-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Yeah, this was bad. Really, really bad. I hate this writer's take on Gambit and Rogue. Talk about whiplash going from Thompson's competent and awesome Gambit in the current Captain Marvel arc to Phillip's version here where he is a drunk, puts people at risk of death, and everyone thinks he is a joke or a terrible person and bad influence on Rogue.

And yeah, you can write off that town's mutant sympathies for sure. The bar gave them shelter, saw them as heroes, and even stood up to Black Panther on their behalf, and Gambit repaid them by tying up a woman near a fire he set and that also caused an explosion that destroyed the bar. That must hit particularly hard for these people as well with them likely knowing mutants don't have to worry about death anymore.

HEY Malachi Question.

When Rogue and Gambit were arguing in this Comic. Did it come off as Emotionally Abusive???
    Last edited by Cyclone_Ablaze; 04-05-2023 at 08:52 AM.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

Is this a strategy by the X-Office to make us retroactively enjoy Howard's Rogue and Gambit?