Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

A prequel was already done in Wolverine: Days of Future Past miniseries, so I'm curious whether this will at the least not contradict that

To celebrate the team’s 60th anniversary they hire one of their worst writers ever?
    I can only hope this is a one time gig for Guggenheim and he’s not back for real.

Gee Weeze i'm just realizing that's x-men gold guggemheim. How that song go..."Heeeelll Naaaaaaaw tooooo the naaaw naaaaaaaaw naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw."
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Do yall really go out and buy these stories from the past?
    They sure do a lot of them, if not.
    As long as I have the original source material digitally stored on my computer factual cannon shall never die

Quote Originally Posted by Yistaan View Post
    A prequel was already done in Wolverine: Days of Future Past miniseries, so I'm curious whether this will at the least not contradict that
    And, a three-part prequel, "Wolverine: Days of Future Past", at that
    Last edited by Micabe; 04-05-2023 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Link(s) added.

Astonishing Member

It's interesting to remember nowdays that Days of Future Past wasn't an event story or crossover, but just a two issues spanning regular story. Yet it left behind such a lasting impact on the X-men franchise that it keeps getting referenced and used for adaptations, in addition to it's underling after effect still being used in the writing of the setting today. (Similar God Loves, Man Kills was only a single self contained one-shot graphic novel)

Which does not necessarily reflect well on the event storylines and crossovers these days which can take months to be told, often interrupting ongoing stories and plots and then barely get referenced, used in other media or even remembered much after they are done.

Likewise in just two issues the reader learned everything they needed to know about this dark future, saw the tragedy unfold and could breath a sigh of relief that the sacrifice of the last X-men wasn't in vain and they managed to change the past/present.

So why would this storyline need to be brought back 40+ years after it was released, told and put into the history books of the franchise, to have new material added which arguably does not actualy add anything of significance?

Wouldn't it be more important to focus the effort on making more new storylines of that quality?
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-05-2023 at 03:15 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    (Similar God Loves, Man Kills was only a single self contained one-shot graphic novel)
    I wish God Loves Man Kills were repeatedly referenced in any in depth manner other than in name only. The character called Stryker who showed up since in both film and newer comics is just a generic military villain called Stryker and not the fanatic Christian preacher who uses religion to justify horrors, because that can't be addressed head-on now in a real world that arguably already has become the very thing God Loves Man Kills warned about (no separation of church and state, governments that are approaching being theocracies discriminating against people, etc.)

BANNED

Earth-811

C. Claremont and J. Byrne

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm actually very interested in the story itself... I was always curious to read how certain events unfolded in Rachel's timeline. But Guggenheim is an extremely average writer unfortunately so even an interesting premise could turn into something boring. They wanted to do a Days of Future Past prequel, they should have just asked Chris Claremont to write it.

Yeah i'm glad they didn't. Even if claremont was on this one i'm still sitting out this ride.

It feels like to me, and this is just me that sometimes this stuff is put out just to create the argument of nostalgia vs. modern or what "the people really want" but it doesn't take into account any of the variables that should matter outside of what was sold to the market that wanted it, not what actually sells to the public. Thus now you have documents to support "oh but they don't want krakoa, not as much as this" etc.

Or i guess to tie it together i'm really not interested in seeing any future where Krakoa does not exist. It's been done.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-05-2023 at 04:02 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Lol i thought the same thing. Everytime a big fall or something is coming they drag back out this days of future past storyline. over it. IT was good for it's time, unless this version ends with krakoa showing up and we find out once and for all it turned out okay, i really don't care.
    This is completely unnecessary. Plus Guggenheim writing? Definitely a no go. I'll just chuck it up to taking place in yet another alternate DoFP timeline and not worry about it.

Extraordinary Member

It is not like this stuff is new. Untold tales of characters have always been around. Marvel is just trying to flood the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It is not like this stuff is new. Untold tales of characters have always been around. Marvel is just trying to flood the shelves.
    Perhaps, but at least they could flood shelves with untold stories about characters that never get into the spotlight. If you're going to take chances at least do it with something fresh. Still laughable that this department chased away a superior writer just to bring mediocre writers to do retreads. Post Krakoa X-Men is going to be the same crapfest it was just prior to Hickman's arrival. Whenever Ewing moves on from X-Men, just turn the lights out after him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm actually very interested in the story itself... I was always curious to read how certain events unfolded in Rachel's timeline. But Guggenheim is an extremely average writer unfortunately so even an interesting premise could turn into something boring.
    Unlike, Weapon X: Days Of Future Now, Wolverine: Days of Future Past came off more like a story spun out of the Age of Apocalypse rather than a prequel to Days of Future Past or its sequel Days of Future Present.

They wanted to do a Days of Future Past prequel, they should have just asked Chris Claremont to write it.
    I have to believe that at least one person in the editorial department wanted to but was booed down in favor of young and upcoming writers like Rob Liefeld and Grant Morrison.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Marvel announced a new mini serie: Days of Future Past – Doomsday prequel series from writer Marc Guggenheim and artist Manuel García.

It will follow Cyclops, Angel, Kitty and more on what happened before DoFP.

That on top of al the other announched series

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-days-of-fu...requel-series/
    So we're getting a story that takes place sometime between ages 3-10 of Rachel before Xavier is killed? Why? We know what happens to all three of them.
    Cyclops - killed
    Angel - killed
    Kitty - survives and eventually merges with Sentinel tech to become Widget.

Also, Guggenheim did enough damage to Rachel in Gold. He must be frothing at the mouth to destroy her as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Haven't we suffered enough?
    HASN'T RACHEL?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm actually very interested in the story itself... I was always curious to read how certain events unfolded in Rachel's timeline. But Guggenheim is an extremely average writer unfortunately so even an interesting premise could turn into something boring. They wanted to do a Days of Future Past prequel, they should have just asked Chris Claremont to write it.
    He did. Uncanny X-Men 140.5. Was released as part of an omnibus a few years ago. Takes place shortly before the events of DoFP.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

While I'm always up for a bit of nostalgia...I frequently re-visit my Claremont UXM, Byrne's AF, Perez' WW...I do not care to actually re-live the past all over again. And yes, I'm very much looking forward to the Punk Storm LS but...1. Kittenheim is no Ann Nocenti, nowhere close and 2. That LS promises something new, not retreads.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!