Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It's interesting to remember nowdays that Days of Future Past wasn't an event story or crossover, but just a two issues spanning regular story. Yet it left behind such a lasting impact on the X-men franchise that it keeps getting referenced and used for adaptations, in addition to it's underling after effect still being used in the writing of the setting today. (Similar God Loves, Man Kills was only a single self contained one-shot graphic novel)

Which does not necessarily reflect well on the event storylines and crossovers these days which can take months to be told, often interrupting ongoing stories and plots and then barely get referenced, used in other media or even remembered much after they are done.

Likewise in just two issues the reader learned everything they needed to know about this dark future, saw the tragedy unfold and could breath a sigh of relief that the sacrifice of the last X-men wasn't in vain and they managed to change the past/present.

So why would this storyline need to be brought back 40+ years after it was released, told and put into the history books of the franchise, to have new material added which arguably does not actualy add anything of significance?

Wouldn't it be more important to focus the effort on making more new storylines of that quality?
    It would if there were actually writers and editors of the quality that was seen back then still on the various X-books,that created/produced those stories which really isn't the case any longer as can be seen with the utter mess New Mutants has once again degenerated into.

So it's pretty easy to see why a walled garden would be setup to sort of play in involving those storylines, which wouldn't result in too much of a mess to be cleaned up later when finished.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 04-05-2023 at 09:11 PM.

Oh, goody. Guggenheim is back. I'm good, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You lost me at Guggenheim.
    These. HARD pass!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    So we're getting a story that takes place sometime between ages 3-10 of Rachel before Xavier is killed? Why? We know what happens to all three of them.
    Cyclops - killed
    Angel - killed
    Kitty - survives and eventually merges with Sentinel tech to become Widget.

Also, Guggenheim did enough damage to Rachel in Gold. He must be frothing at the mouth to destroy her as a child.

HASN'T RACHEL?

He did. Uncanny X-Men 140.5. Was released as part of an omnibus a few years ago. Takes place shortly before the events of DoFP.
    Too bad that Uncanny X-Men 140.5 wasn't released as a regular one-shot before Wolverine: Days of Future Past became the official prequel to the Days of Future Past storyline.

"Chris Claremont and Salvador Larroca present ‘Uncanny X-Men #140.5,’ the prelude chapter to the famous X-event Days of Future Past. Reader, this is only available through Marvel Made Paragon Collection: Chris Claremont Bundle" -- Fortunately, I came across a few teaser pages awhile back that was released in order to get people to buy the Paragon Collection.

Last edited by Micabe; 04-05-2023 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Link(s) added.

BANNED

For a prequel it's weird seeing Lucas and Tessa on the cover, isn't it? Especially When Bishop was said to hail from the late 21st century of Earth-1191 and not Earth-811, huh? And, peep out Rachel rocking a 2-foot long ponytail.

Last edited by Micabe; 04-05-2023 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Link(s) added.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post

For a prequel it's weird seeing Lucas and Tessa on the cover, isn't it? Especially When Bishop was said to hail from the late 21st century of Earth-1191 and not Earth-811, huh? And, peep out Rachel rocking a 2-foot long ponytail.

Wow I never even heard of this. And it seems there's no legal way for me to read this without paying some absurd price on ebay.

As for Bishop's presence, Wolverine Days of Future Past basically stated that some variation of the 1990s events happened in the DOFP timeline. Jubilee even talks about Magneto ripping out Wolvie's adamantium in it (which adds the question of how he gets it back in the DOFP timeline). So perhaps Claremont ran with that idea and some version of Bishop traveled back in time to join the X-Men in DOFP. Until I read this 140.5 myself, I have no way of knowing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yistaan View Post
    Wow I never even heard of this. And it seems there's no legal way for me to read this without paying some absurd price on ebay.
    Welcome to the club

As for Bishop's presence, Wolverine Days of Future Past basically stated that some variation of the 1990s events happened in the DOFP timeline.
    While I have the three-part, Wolverine Days of Future Past, admittedly I haven't actually read it verbatim but I do recall that part of the story.

Jubilee even talks about Magneto ripping out Wolvie's adamantium in it (which adds the question of how he gets it back in the DOFP timeline). So perhaps Claremont ran with that idea and some version of Bishop traveled back in time to join the X-Men in DOFP. Until I read this 140.5 myself, I have no way of knowing.
    I have one hangup with that line of reasoning -- We already know that Bishop traveled from late 21st Century Earth-1191 to the past of Earth-616 directly (much like Rachel did from Earth-811) via Trevor Fritzroy's Temporal Wormhole along with who knows how many escaped mutant prisoners of the same future timeline. That said, can you imagine the kind of continuity chaos we're in store for when Days Of Future Past: Doomsday hits the stands in July if our talking points are ignored by the writer and editor?
    Last edited by Micabe; 04-05-2023 at 11:45 PM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yistaan View Post

As for Bishop's presence, Wolverine Days of Future Past basically stated that some variation of the 1990s events happened in the DOFP timeline. Jubilee even talks about Magneto ripping out Wolvie's adamantium in it (which adds the question of how he gets it back in the DOFP timeline). So perhaps Claremont ran with that idea and some version of Bishop traveled back in time to join the X-Men in DOFP. Until I read this 140.5 myself, I have no way of knowing.
    I haven't read it in book format myself, but it's a great issue that cements Rachel's status as a child of the Phoenix and some iconic artwork with Jean as WPotC. That said, you're essentially correct on Bishop. I believe Claremont said that the Bishop in this storyline came from the future of this timeline around the point he did in 616. He's the 811 variant of Bishop. No further details on how he traveled back or why.

I have one hangup with that line of reasoning -- We already know that Bishop traveled from late 21st Century Earth-1191 to the past of Earth-616 directly (much like Rachel did from Earth-811) via Trevor Fritzroy's Temporal Wormhole along with who knows how many escaped mutant prisoners of the same future timeline. That said, can you imagine the kind of continuity chaos we're in store for when Days Of Future Past: Doomsday hits the stands in July if our talking points are ignored by the writer and editor?
    We don't know how this Bishop traveled back in time but I hear you, it's a headache. Also having Bloody Bess in this issue was weird but it's Claremont lol

I'll just say, that cover is solid. So that's Geoff Shaw, the guy who is drawing the upcoming 'Weapons of Vengeance' crossover between Wolverine and Ghost Rider? Color me excited in that case. Looks great!
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

My medical insurance payments went up seeing Guggenheim's name attached to this.
    "Cable was right!"

Great news for that one poster who liked Guggenheim, and also Guggenheim assuming I just named two different people.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Great news for that one poster who liked Guggenheim, and also Guggenheim assuming I just named two different people.
    That sentence is better crafted than anything the aforementioned has written.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I haven't read it in book format myself, but it's a great issue that cements Rachel's status as a child of the Phoenix and some iconic artwork with Jean as WPotC. That said, you're essentially correct on Bishop. I believe Claremont said that the Bishop in this storyline came from the future of this timeline around the point he did in 616. He's the 811 variant of Bishop. No further details on how he traveled back or why.

We don't know how this Bishop traveled back in time but I hear you, it's a headache. Also having Bloody Bess in this issue was weird but it's Claremont lol
    Bloody Bess? Heh! I thought she was Tessa because of the shades and tats(?) on her face.

Last edited by Micabe; 04-06-2023 at 08:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Bloody Bess? Heh! I thought she was Tessa because of the shades and tats(?) on her face.

Different hair color tells them apart but they are all rocking the same style.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Different hair color tells them apart but they are all rocking the same style.
    Ah, nice catch... I totally missed that distinction