Page 56 of 90 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    for advertisement sure I can believe that I mean his own series is called Miles Morales Spider-man.
    And that's a mistake. Give him his own adjective. Heck, even steal one from Peter who has like 5 already and 3 aren't even in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    And that's a mistake. Give him his own adjective. Heck, even steal one from Peter who has like 5 already and 3 aren't even in use.
    really thats all it would take?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

really thats all it would take?
    No, but it's a start. It will look like they are actually trying.

Miles half owns "Ultimate."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    No, but it's a start. It will look like they are actually trying.
    I dont see how that would convince anyone that Marvel is trying when all they did was stop calling him Miles
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I dont see how that would convince anyone that Marvel is trying when all they did was stop calling him Miles
    Some of this stuff is admittedly out of Marvel's hands since Sony owns the film rights (and certain television rights).
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 06-24-2023 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Most readers I know refer to him as “Ultimate Spider-Man” to differentiate.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    They rarely ever use married Spider-Man in any of the mass media adaptations. Across the Spider-Verse is a notable exception, but that's a film starring a completely different Spider-Man, where Peter has little screen time and Mary Jane's appearance is barely more than a cameo. In the next movie starring Peter Parker, he's going to be a college student. In the next TV series starring Peter Parker, he's going to be a high school student.

The Spider-Man in pop culture consciousness isn't a married man.
    This actually misses the point. Adaptations generally start from the beginning. Peter isn't married at the beginning. He has to progress to that. TV shows and movies basically never last that long. Of course he's not going to be married in adaptations. That he has been married in any of them is somewhat amazing, and he's gotten to it in 4 (TAS, Unlimited, ITSV (Peter A is married to MJ when he dies), ATSV). But what's actually important is that in all of these adapations except 1 and even that one kinda, his love interest in Mary Jane. He's not married to her yet because they haven't got there, but she's always the love interest except in the Amazing Movies, where she was going to be after Gwen died but they messed up that series. That's consistent. That's what's stuck in the populace's brain. That Peter belongs with MJ.

It's just that when you apply that to the comic story it makes sense to give him back his marriage as a result. Because she's the once and future wife, and that makes all other romances pointless. Notice even Wells isn't giving him another romance. Black Cat is a booty call for him to fight with and be sad about when they break up. No time at all is spent on their relationship because everyone knows that's a giant waste of time now. MJ is STILL the love interest. It' just a bad story allowed because OMD exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    If you don't think it should be the focus, then stop focusing on it. You're arguing an awful lot for something that you say is a minor background detail.
    It's a small detail turned into a bigger one by Marvel's giant production to get rid of it and refusal to allow it to return. It will largely be setting thing (and a reason to have MJ around) when it comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I'm talking about how often Peter Parker Spider-Man has been depicted as a married man in TV shows and movies. Not a man who talks about maybe someday getting married, not a man who's engaged to be married, a man who is married.

There have been 11 Spider-Man TV shows starring Peter Parker. He got married in 1 of them, for 8 episodes (out of 65), in the final season, then his wife was revealed to have been a clone all along and died. There is a new Spider-Man TV show on the way, where he will be young and unmarried yet again.

There have been 8 live action Spider-Man movies. Spider-Man isn't married any any of them.

There have been 2 animated Spider-Man movies. In the first one, there's a married Peter Parker (the 14th billed character in the credits) who dies at the start of the movie, and a divorced Peter Parker (the 2nd billed character in the credits). In the second one the divorced Peter Parker has remarried, and has a smaller presence than in the previous film (now the 5th billed character in the credits). In both movies the lead Spider-Man, Miles Morales, is unmarried.

There is vastly more unmarried Spider-Man in TV and movies than there is married Spider-Man.
    Again, this is all the more reason to let him have his marriage he had. There's plenty of opportunities to tell those stories they claim they want to tell. There's only one story where it's about a culmination of over 2000 different stories building a complex life story. Let the medium flex its strengths, don't hold it back.
    Last edited by Xenon; 06-24-2023 at 09:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but it's arguably not a good name anymore now that you have Spider-Verse. Since 1) it's too associated with the Ultimate Universe and 2) "Ultimate" implies competition. (Basically if 616 Peter or someone else is "amazing" or "spectacular" or "sensational" or whatever, it doesn't mean the other versions aren't. But if anyone is "Ultimate", it implies the rest aren't.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Yeah, but it's arguably not a good name anymore now that you have Spider-Verse. Since 1) it's too associated with the Ultimate Universe and 2) "Ultimate" implies competition. (Basically if 616 Peter or someone else is "amazing" or "spectacular" or "sensational" or whatever, it doesn't mean the other versions aren't. But if anyone is "Ultimate", it implies the rest aren't.)
    Edit: nvm I misunderstood what you were trying to say: other adjectives were preferable to Ultimate.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 06-24-2023 at 05:13 PM.

I'm not sure "ultimate" means anything very much any more except as part of "penultimate".
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I'm not sure "ultimate" means anything very much any more except as part of "penultimate".
    They are currently publishing a mini series called Ultimate Invasion. I think the name still means something to them.

They are currently publishing a mini series called Ultimate Invasion. I think the name still means something to them.
    Yes, but that doesn't mean that it's the final ever invasion or even the last word in invasions. It's just an empty intensifier that's been turned into the brand name for an alternative continuity.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Based on the fact that he is pushed as "Miles Morales" as opposed to "Spider-Man" when he and Peter are in the same solicit. He's not treated as an equal Spider-Man. He's treated as "the other Spider-Man."

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/16...kHhJPgPig&s=19
    Because he...is the other Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    Because he...is the other Spider-Man?
    Genuine question. Are you familiar with the history of the phrase "separate but equal"?