Page 31 of 90 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Yes, i kind of detoured on your OP to my own OMD tangent (as we do in these forums lol), but i am 100% in agreeing on the point you made about relatability not being the be all end all when it comes to general appeal. After all if it was, Spidey and many other super-heroes by their very nature wouldnt ever be as beloved as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapioca Blitzkrieg View Post
    I get that. OMD fails to me mostly on the sense that it compromises Spider-Man as a hero in favour of a more flawed, even if more directly relatable, take on his morals. Superman is not the most iconic super-hero of all time due to ''just'' being a dude with the best powers. There's a lot of supes with power sets that rival Superman: Shazam, Cpt Marvel, Wonder Woman etc. But what makes Superman iconic is something that is the oposite of relatable in the basic sense: the fact he is always the guy willing to do the right thing without taking the easy way out or shortcuts. Never beating his foes out of rage or vendetta, but out of a drive to save them from themselves. Like a god, yes, but as distant as that makes him from us mortals that's an integral part of his appeal, that he's this impossible ideal to always aspire to. We don't aspire to be Batman in the same way.

Power and Responsibility is a concept that OMD absolutely obliterates since it tramples over the responsibility of human adults to accept death as a painful but inevitable fact of life. Like you said, anyone would be tempted to magic away the passing of a loved one, but NOT SPIDER-MAN, especially and most egregiously through nefarious, literally devilish means. Dealing with the devil is the essence of power abuse and misuse, even if in favour of ''noble'' ends. Something that would be ''relatable'' and understandable to someone who's been through great grief, BUT sends the message that ''it's ok to magic away your grief and your suffering'' and not ''Through grief and suffering, Spidey always gets back up, even if he's just some guy like you and me''.

Turning him into some loser ner-do-well Peter Pan was just the proof that the minds behind a concept as crappy as OMD also would be inept at keeping the character compelling through this status quo. OMD wouldn't be as reviled if the stories that came after were good enough to justify it, but they weren't.
    The most.... interesting to me angle is asking whether Aunt May would have agreed. Yeah, pretty sure the answer is NO.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The most.... interesting to me angle is asking whether Aunt May would have agreed. Yeah, pretty sure the answer is NO.
    May even told Peter she was ready to be with Ben. This was all pure selfishness on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    May even told Peter she was ready to be with Ben. This was all pure selfishness on his part.
    I swear, this is the only time I've ever heard anybody complain that a hero actually saved somebody after they were told "Don't save me, save yourself."

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I swear, this is the only time I've ever heard anybody complain that a hero actually saved somebody after they were told "Don't save me, save yourself."
    Giving the Devil a free pass to rewrite countless lives is not a selfless act. It is the height of foolishness.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

What would Spider-Verse's Miguel O'Hara think of One More Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    What would Spider-Verse's Miguel O'Hara think of One More Day?

I think Miguel might classify Comics Peter as a "Canon Killer" and hunt his dumb ass down for handing an entire world over to Mephisto on a silver platter. Also, there would be plans put in place to bring Mephisto down.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 06-08-2023 at 01:15 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I think Miguel might classify Comics Peter as a "Canon Killer" and hunt his dumb ass down for handing an entire world over to Mephisto on a silver platter. Also, there would be plans put in place to bring Mephisto down.
    Unless One More Day is a canon event.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If it was then Peter B.'s timeline would have panned out the same way, with Peter B. selling his marriage to Mephisto in order to save Aunt May. It didn't and it sure as hell won't now that Mayday exists. One More Day is clearly a Canon Anomaly and one that is solely limited to the Earth-616 of the comic books.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 06-08-2023 at 01:20 PM.

BANNED

If it was then Peter B.'s timeline would have panned out the same way, with Peter B. selling his marriage to Mephisto in order to save Aunt May. It didn't and it sure as hell won't now that Mayday exists. One More Day is clearly a Canon Anomaly and one that is solely limited to the Earth-616 of the comic books.
    We gotta get Miguel and the squad to fix this ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    We gotta get Miguel and the squad to fix this ASAP
    That we do, that we do.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 06-08-2023 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We've never seen OMD in other timelines.

BANNED

That we do, that we do.
    Make it a movie, Miguel, Miles, Gwen and Peter B. all out to save 616 Peter's marriage. Then have it actually be in canon for the comics as well, reboot in a post-no-OMD world for that sweet, sweet synergy money.

I'm gonna pay someone with a sexy voice to whisper "Synergy" after every time I say the word, really get the Disney execs listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    We've never seen OMD in other timelines.
    This is an excellent point! If anything, we've seen exponentially more timelines where Peter and MJ are together. Almost like an anomaly of some sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    Make it a movie, Miguel, Miles, Gwen and Peter B. all out to save 616 Peter's marriage. Then have it actually be in canon for the comics as well, reboot in a post-no-OMD world for that sweet, sweet synergy money.

I'm gonna pay someone with a sexy voice to whisper "Synergy" after every time I say the word, really get the Disney execs listening.
    Don't forget Mayday's #1 chaos enabler: Hobie Brown!

BANNED

Don't forget Mayday's #1 chaos enabler: Hobie Brown!

How could I forget? Those two are destined to be the best of friends. When Hobie said "She's a little anarchist" I lost it. Hobie is definitely on the team.