Page 23 of 90 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

The handling of Ben Reilly into Chasm pretty much sealed the deal for me. I understand everyone’s anger about the whole MJ/Peter issue, even though I’m not a big fan of Peter/MJ, I feel where you all are coming from. Even if they were to “fix” Ben, be it in a month, 6 or even a year, I’m not purchasing Amazing Spidy monthly comic ever again. I’ll be checking out trades, probably not even new trades but used ones from comic shop sales.

I’m just not giving Marvel another buck for what they did to Ben. So I truly get yalls anger.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    The way I hear it, Lost Hunt was an attempt by Editorial to appease the fans because they knew people would be angry about Wells ASM run.
    I mean I guess there's sometihgn to that theory. It's till weird they're written as married in that, but I'm not going to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    Stan lee was the Geogre Lucas of marvel.
    I agree. George Lucas' 6 movies were great. And once he handed over the company to other people, it all went totally downhill.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I mean I guess there's sometihgn to that theory. It's till weird they're written as married in that, but I'm not going to complain.
    Neither am I, Lost Hunt was great.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Spectacular Member

Did I just read a few posts hyping for a MJ/Fel/Peter throuple or love triangle? That sounds like MJ sleeping with somebody else is bad, but Peter banging two chicks at the same time is OK. Be better, guys.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-30-2023 at 02:07 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by fjmac View Post
    Did I just read a few posts hyping for a MJ/Fel/Peter throuple or love triangle? That sounds like MJ sleeping with somebody else is bad, but Peter banging two chicks at the same time is OK. Be better, guys, leave the misogyny to Wells and his supporters.
    I don't think anyone is hyping it so much as making bitter jokes about it. And it's worth noting, the only official throuple at Marvel is 2 dudes and a chick. If that's not misandrist ther'es no reason 2 chicks and a dude is misogynistic. That said, this post completely misunderstands the issue with MJ sleeping with someone else.

On a certain level, all of both of their relationships are equally problematic, because they're supposed to be married, and that they aren't is a literal trick of the devil, so every relationship just feeds into that. However, there's more to it than that.

As Spider-Man fans, it's natural to relate to the main character the most. As such, on an emotional level, we're going to hate the main character's wife getting porked by other guys more than we're going to not like the main character doing other girls. It has to do with who you emotionally relate to. It's an emotional response, and a valid one. So on a certain level, we hate that firefighter.

But again, that's not really what the current problem with MJ is. It's not JUST that she's banging someone else (allegedly). It's that if she's banging Paul she started while she was in a relationship with Peter (and had been in one for months). Further, by choosing Paul over Peter and doing so in a completely cold manner, the book is implying that she doesn't now nor every turly loved him. THat's the issue we're having. It's that they make her unfaithful and cold hearted when she should not be that way.

I think the majority here just want to put them back together with no one else. Everything else is second place at best.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    The handling of Ben Reilly into Chasm pretty much sealed the deal for me. I understand everyone’s anger about the whole MJ/Peter issue, even though I’m not a big fan of Peter/MJ, I feel where you all are coming from. Even if they were to “fix” Ben, be it in a month, 6 or even a year, I’m not purchasing Amazing Spidy monthly comic ever again. I’ll be checking out trades, probably not even new trades but used ones from comic shop sales.

I’m just not giving Marvel another buck for what they did to Ben. So I truly get yalls anger.
    I'm exactly in the same boat.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I agree. George Lucas' 6 movies were great. And once he handed over the company to other people, it all went totally downhill.
    Dude, the prequels are terrible. As in, really, really terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    It was the Skrulls that made the devil deal! That would be the perfect way out of the mess of the last decade and a half.
    Would that just be the Clone saga all over again or would the fans be more willing to accept it?
    (In my case, I think it would be the latter: I'd be willing to sacrifice the good bits of Spencer's run and Zdarsky's run and Taylor's run to get rid of Parker Industries and this whole mess. I mean, one problem with this mess is that it steps on anyone who in the future wants to do Peter and MJ get children or MJ gets powers with actual character beats and emotional moments.)
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Spectacular Member

I don't think anyone is hyping it so much as making bitter jokes about it. And it's worth noting, the only official throuple at Marvel is 2 dudes and a chick. If that's not misandrist ther'es no reason 2 chicks and a dude is misogynistic. That said, this post completely misunderstands the issue with MJ sleeping with someone else.

On a certain level, all of both of their relationships are equally problematic, because they're supposed to be married, and that they aren't is a literal trick of the devil, so every relationship just feeds into that. However, there's more to it than that.

As Spider-Man fans, it's natural to relate to the main character the most. As such, on an emotional level, we're going to hate the main character's wife getting porked by other guys more than we're going to not like the main character doing other girls. It has to do with who you emotionally relate to. It's an emotional response, and a valid one. So on a certain level, we hate that firefighter.

But again, that's not really what the current problem with MJ is. It's not JUST that she's banging someone else (allegedly). It's that if she's banging Paul she started while she was in a relationship with Peter (and had been in one for months). Further, by choosing Paul over Peter and doing so in a completely cold manner, the book is implying that she doesn't now nor every turly loved him. THat's the issue we're having. It's that they make her unfaithful and cold hearted when she should not be that way.

I think the majority here just want to put them back together with no one else. Everything else is second place at best.
    Look, my only true issue is with MJ written out of character and being an ******* to Peter. Anything else I can handle. MJ+Pedro did not occupy any time on my head other than the time it took me to read those panels or pages. I can relate to a visceral response to "the wrong guy getting the girl", because that's one of the cheapest and most distasteful tropes in fiction, but frankly that's all there is to it.

We obviously have different views, because MJ sleeping with Paul (which, I assure you, will turn out to not have happened at all) does not detract from MJ's past, current or future love for Peter. What if she did? The idea that a person separated from their SO, stranded without hope of being rescued, with a high probability that their SO may be dead, living day to day in a dangerous environment will remain committed to their relationship for years does not hold water.

I'm perfectly aware that mine is not the definitive view on love, but neither is yours. The idea of MJ+Pedro or MJ+Paul irks me as much as Peter+Felicia or Peter+Carlie, but neither of those detract from the fact that MJ and Peter belong together and that should be the status quo.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post

It's one of the sadder parts of this run that because he's doing MJ so dirty we don't have any emotional energy left to be mad about what they did to Ben. Though to be fair at least part of that is the result of the Beyond era, which was pretty good right up until that Chasm part.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I mean look it definitely went down hilll but calling the prequels great is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Neither am I, Lost Hunt was great.
    I havne't read it yet. I have them all but I wasn't reading comics while waiting for ASM to sort itself out cause I foolishly thought they would give me sufficient answers. Now i'm saving it for a special occasion like I did with Ultimate after Superior hit, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Would that just be the Clone saga all over again or would the fans be more willing to accept it?
    (In my case, I think it would be the latter: I'd be willing to sacrifice the good bits of Spencer's run and Zdarsky's run and Taylor's run to get rid of Parker Industries and this whole mess. I mean, one problem with this mess is that it steps on anyone who in the future wants to do Peter and MJ get children or MJ gets powers with actual character beats and emotional moments.)
    This is all moot cause they won't but I would accept it because very little of value would be lost. Like I liked the Spencer run, but a lot of what I liked about it was fixing all the crap they had broken over the previous ten years. If they never broke it no need to fix, eh? And it would still fix Sins Past since that had nothing to do with Peter in its correction. That correction is kind of the same thing. Because it was clearly changed at the end it doesn't work great, but people still were happy to have the worst Spider-Man story erased so it was readily accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by fjmac View Post
    Look, my only true issue is with MJ written out of character and being an ******* to Peter. Anything else I can handle. MJ+Pedro did not occupy any time on my head other than the time it took me to read those panels or pages. I can relate to a visceral response to "the wrong guy getting the girl", because that's one of the cheapest and most distasteful tropes in fiction, but frankly that's all there is to it.

We obviously have different views, because MJ sleeping with Paul (which, I assure you, will turn out to not have happened at all) does not detract from MJ's past, current or future love for Peter. What if she did? The idea that a person separated from their SO, stranded without hope of being rescued, with a high probability that their SO may be dead, living day to day in a dangerous environment will remain committed to their relationship for years does not hold water.

I'm perfectly aware that mine is not the definitive view on love, but neither is yours. The idea of MJ+Pedro or MJ+Paul irks me as much as Peter+Felicia or Peter+Carlie, but neither of those detract from the fact that MJ and Peter belong together and that should be the status quo.
    No, her sleeping with paul doesn't make it so she doens't love him. It's the part where she tells him to F off after he rescues them. That MJ in that hospital sceene is acting or does not love Peter Parker. The sleeping with Paul is just the betrayal. And I just don't buy the idea that she would give up hope of being rescued. She had no reason to believe Peter was dead, she had sent him back to save him. She had no reason to believe she had no hope of being rescued. It just doesn't fit with her character. It's not a matter of tropes or even reasonableness, it's a matter character. It's not "would random woman/man stay faithful" it's that "MJ WOULD stay faithful". It goes back to your first line. THat's the out of character bit.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

It's one of the sadder parts of this run that because he's doing MJ so dirty we don't have any emotional energy left to be mad about what they did to Ben. Though to be fair at least part of that is the result of the Beyond era, which was pretty good right up until that Chasm part.

I mean look it definitely went down hilll but calling the prequels great is a bit much.

I havne't read it yet. I have them all but I wasn't reading comics while waiting for ASM to sort itself out cause I foolishly thought they would give me sufficient answers. Now i'm saving it for a special occasion like I did with Ultimate after Superior hit, lol.

This is all moot cause they won't but I would accept it because very little of value would be lost. Like I liked the Spencer run, but a lot of what I liked about it was fixing all the crap they had broken over the previous ten years. If they never broke it no need to fix, eh? And it would still fix Sins Past since that had nothing to do with Peter in its correction. That correction is kind of the same thing. Because it was clearly changed at the end it doesn't work great, but people still were happy to have the worst Spider-Man story erased so it was readily accepted.

No, her sleeping with paul doesn't make it so she doens't love him. It's the part where she tells him to F off after he rescues them. That MJ in that hospital sceene is acting or does not love Peter Parker. The sleeping with Paul is just the betrayal. And I just don't buy the idea that she would give up hope of being rescued. She had no reason to believe Peter was dead, she had sent him back to save him. She had no reason to believe she had no hope of being rescued. It just doesn't fit with her character. It's not a matter of tropes or even reasonableness, it's a matter character. It's not "would random woman/man stay faithful" it's that "MJ WOULD stay faithful". It goes back to your first line. THat's the out of character bit.
    In truth you don't know if any of that happened it's all stuff that some people think happened but unless it's on page it never happened

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    In truth you don't know if any of that happened it's all stuff that some people think happened but unless it's on page it never happened
    Oh yes, that's my eternal hope. But my faith is weak. Lol.

I don't think there's any hope for this book as long as Wells and Lowe are on it.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Oh yes, that's my eternal hope. But my faith is weak. Lol.
    One thing that could be true is to why there hasn't been any art drawn of MJ and Paul in a relationship is because none of artists want to draw it. So that's why we've gotten these implications but nothing confirmed so they can walk back on it easily