Page 77 of 90 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1345

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    So you just pirate stuff?
    No. I direct my resources to better media to consume. If something is worth experiencing, I pay. If it’s not worth experiencing, I avoid. Seems simple.

The only things I’ve ever “pirated” are import anime and games with no official localization because fan-translations were the only way to experience them. And if they got localized, I then supported them.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    No. I direct my resources to better media to consume. If something is worth experiencing, I pay. If it’s not worth experiencing, I avoid. Seems simple.

The only things I’ve ever “pirated” are import anime and games with no official localization because fan-translations were the only way to experience them. And if they got localized, I then supported them.
    I think the point of his question is that you’re very well informed on nearly every plot point, as if you’ve read each issue. There’s a few options besides pirating. You could Byrne Steal each issue. That is, read it at the store. You could be reading a friends copy. I’m sure there are others.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    We’re 15 years into the One More Day era.
    I believe it will be another 15 years until we’re out of it, and new editorial will allow the marriage.
    So who’s looking forward to 2038?
    i'm not expecting the comics industry to live that long.

I believe it will be another 15 years until we’re out of it, and new editorial will allow the marriage.
    I think OMD/BND eras should be lumped together but I'm absolutely not going to consider the last 15 years as "one era" just because Peter isn't married to MJ.

Honestly, and this may be a hot take but I really don't care at this point, we should stop pining for the marriage to be restored. If it happens, it happens. And it almost did but Marvel has shown that they have no interest in committing to it, even when it's done in a way to make absolute sense. I generally don't care about Peter's love interest unless they show they're going to actually stick with it. All I really care about is getting good Spider-Man stories. Of course unfortunately they don't seem to be committing to that either. Not in the main book anyway.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    I think the point of his question is that you’re very well informed on nearly every plot point, as if you’ve read each issue. There’s a few options besides pirating. You could Byrne Steal each issue. That is, read it at the store. You could be reading a friends copy. I’m sure there are others.
    So is it pirating if you know what happens in the plot/given details online or is it pirating if you watch something like a comicstorian video that legit uses the same content in audio format?

I like to stay informed with summaries that other people share and are verified. It's no different than reading the wiki summary of a movie, I think. Marvel themselves spoil most of it if I just wait it out. Most of the comics I've purchased are in TPB form after I get feedback from other readers.

If something particularly egregious happens, those pages and panels quickly make the social media circles anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    So is it pirating if you know what happens in the plot/given details online or is it pirating if you watch something like a comicstorian video that legit uses the same content in audio format?
    Those things, as well as G’s response, are perfectly normal. I don’t think they’re a substitute for reading the entire issue, but it can get you enough, along with preview pages and officially released non-preview pages, to give you a sense of the issue. No moral or ethical issues present.

Pirating is downloading or reading a scan of an issue. Most people have moral and ethical qualms with this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    i'm not expecting the comics industry to live that long.
    Manga will be the comics industry

I don't know, there's clearly SOMETHING going on behind the scenes with editorial, considering Brevoort is moving after 25 years on the Avengers to X-Men while sounding an awful lot like he didn't expect or want that to happen.

Plus that CBR article about how there desperately needs to be an editorial shift at Marvel specifically; usually they're too spineless to do any heavy criticism like that or risk losing exclusives. The last time they did that, Alonso ended up leaving.
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 08-14-2023 at 05:03 PM.

I think it's very interesting that CBR articles like this one:
    https://www.cbr.com/spiderman-one-mo...-marvel-comic/
    Are becoming more frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    I think it's very interesting that CBR articles like this one:
    https://www.cbr.com/spiderman-one-mo...-marvel-comic/
    Are becoming more frequent.
    I think I mentioned this before, but this year feels like a perfect storm for discontentment for 616 comics regarding the marriage.

-Across the Spider-Verse is a big hit, prominently showing a happily married Peter with a daughter, something many comic readers have wanted for years (and 90s readers were so close to having) and casual audiences loving it too (my own daughter currently is obsessed with Mayday… much to my chagrin of trying to keep her from falling off furniture).

-DC comics has received a lot of deserved praise recently for embracing marriage and family again in books like Superman and The Flash, demonstrating that marriage and families can absolutely work in the comic formula and remain fun, exciting, and inspiring.

-Spencer’s run seemed to be leading into addressing OMD, and I vividly recall the excitement and fervor of what that might mean for fans of the pairing and the character at large… only for a last minute swerve that many feel appears editorially mandated.

-Wells’s run immediately after it being so poorly received and immediately reversing all the growth Peter and MJ had just experienced seemed particularly ill-timed for maximum discontent. The execution of it fundamentally altering MJ as a character and giving her a family with a particularly hated new character further incised fans.

-Writers have publicly stated they would turn down writing Spider-Man for fear they wouldn’t be able to please the fans at this point.

-Editorial lashing out at fans and recently quadrupling down on One More Day this year, saying it would be “foolish” to undo it after all the work put into this hated status quo, and slamming DC for “blinking” on the matter with Superman has just further driven fans to believe it’s an “us versus them” mentality.

-Recent marriage-era stories like “Lost Hunt” and AUs like “Renew Your Vow” reminded fans and created new fans of how fun and well-liked the marriage was.

-The Insomniac games pushed MJ and Peter together strongly, with even subplots related to children and a long-term future, with tie-in comics pushing that connection further and hype for the sequel building.

There’s more, but it’s all just this overbearing frustration with the comic that’s exploding right now. And I think that’s good. It’s been this elephant in the room, this dark cloud over the comics, for far too long. Even Adam Driver is doing roles making fun of Peter selling his marriage to the devil; it’s mainstream and widely mocked. It taints one of the best heroes in the world.

So I think this year in particular is just a breaking point of “Spider-Man is great!*”

*except for the comics…
    Last edited by Garlador; 08-14-2023 at 11:47 AM.

I think I mentioned this before, but this year feels like a perfect storm for discontentment for 616 comics regarding the marriage.

-Across the Spider-Verse is a big hit, prominently showing a happily married Peter with a daughter, something many comic readers have wanted for years (and 90s readers were so close to having) and casual audiences loving it too (my own daughter currently is obsessed with Mayday… much to my chagrin of trying to keep her from falling off furniture).

-DC comics has received a lot of deserved praise recently for embracing marriage and family again in books like Superman and The Flash, demonstrating that marriage and families can absolutely work in the comic formula and remain fun, exciting, and inspiring.

-Spencer’s run seemed to be leading into addressing OMD, and I vividly recall the excitement and fervor of what that might mean for fans of the pairing and the character at large… only for a last minute swerve that many feel appears editorially mandated.

-Wells’s run immediately after it being so poorly received and immediately reversing all the growth Peter and MJ had just experienced seemed particularly ill-timed for maximum discontent. The execution of it fundamentally altering MJ as a character and giving her a family with a particularly hated new character further incised fans.

-Writers have publicly stated they would turn down writing Spider-Man for fear they wouldn’t be able to please the fans at this point.

-Editorial lashing out at fans and recently quadrupling down on One More Day this year, saying it would be “foolish” to undo it after all the work put into this hated status quo, and slamming DC for “blinking” on the matter with Superman has just further driven fans to believe it’s an “us versus them” mentality.

-Recent marriage-era stories like “Lost Hunt” and AUs like “Renew Your Vow” reminded fans and created new fans of how fun and well-liked the marriage was.

-The Insomniac games pushed MJ and Peter together strongly, with even subplots related to children and a long-term future, with tie-in comics pushing that connection further and hype for the sequel building.

There’s more, but it’s all just this overbearing frustration with the comic that’s exploding right now. And I think that’s good. It’s been this elephant in the room, this dark cloud over the comics, for far too long. Even Adam Driver is doing roles making fun of Peter selling his marriage to the devil; it’s mainstream and widely mocked. It taints one of the best heroes in the world.

So I think this year in particular is just a breaking point of “Spider-Man is great!*”

*except for the comics…

That all makes sense to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    That all makes sense to me!
    Addressing the CBR editorial:
    If Marvel wants to retain old readers and attract new ones, it needs to embrace fan-favorite changes like Spider-Man's marriage to Mary Jane Watson. Otherwise, readers will simply lose interest in characters who have remained stagnant for far too long.
    That’s a helluva definitive retort to the current direction Marvel has pushed for over a decade that has frustrated readers.

I’ve mentioned it before, but Quesada once stated that readers would “get over” One More Day in a few years.

Articles like this still coming out 16 years later really indicates that this is NOT something readers got over after a few years. From my observations, the criticisms are louder than ever after all these years.

Niffleheim

Libraries exist.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member

slamming DC for “blinking” on the matter with Superman has just further driven fans to believe it’s an “us versus them” mentality
    Wait, they really did that? When?