Page 83 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    No. That post is basically just asking fans not to be jerks. Whether you like a story or not, there's no reason to assume that it's meant to be a personal attack.
    This post is just conflating criticism with harassment, and observations with personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    I don't understand the 'do it for free.' No one should lower their standards but who was getting paid for their standards?
    Lots of media sites are.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-21-2023 at 10:56 AM.

This post is just conflating criticism with harassment, and observations with personal attacks.
    Explain to me how "editorial hates us" is a criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

Lots of media sites are.
    So, you're just making things up?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Explain to me how "editorial hates us" is a criticism.
    You'll have to ask the user who said it (it's too vague), but it's not a crazy thought. At the very least, Editorial has shown clear signs of frustration with fans.

So, you're just making things up?
    You're aware that every media site (including CBR) is paid and gets exclusive scoops from Marvel and DC, right? This isn't a secret. It's no different than real life journalism.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

You'll have to ask the user who said it (it's too vague), but it's not a crazy thought. At the very least, Editorial has shown clear signs of frustration with fans.
    Why would they when sales is how they talk to them?

You're aware that every media site (including CBR) is paid and gets exclusive scoops from Marvel and DC, right? This isn't a secret. It's no different than real life journalism.
    What? What are you talking about?

I would argue that fans have crossed the line and Marvel creatives have also at times kicked the hornet’s nest. We have creators on record saying Spider-Man fans are impossible to please, and we have fans personally attacking the creatives. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Tit-for-tat is not how I want to approach things.

I will say what I always do; be respectful but honest. Share your criticisms, but be polite.

Don’t become “noise”. I know a lot of us are inordinately unhappy with the book right now (myself included), but if you want to truly change things, it is better to champion the type of stories and characters you want to see more of.

I’ve said before, if Marvel restores the marriage, I’ll support it as long as that lasts, just as I said I’d do for Superman and The Flash. And I’ve been true to my word.

But this “Us vs Them” mindset is terrible for the book. On all sides.

There are reasonable and civil supporters are both sides here. Don’t go off the deep end, no matter how much a story might piss you off.

And if they try and rile you up, take the high road. “Be greater”.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I would argue that fans have crossed the line and Marvel creatives have also at times kicked the hornet’s nest. We have creators on record saying Spider-Man fans are impossible to please, and we have fans personally attacking the creatives. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Tit-for-tat is not how I want to approach things.

I will say what I always do; be respectful but honest. Share your criticisms, but be polite.

Don’t become “noise”. I know a lot of us are inordinately unhappy with the book right now (myself included), but if you want to truly change things, it is better to champion the type of stories and characters you want to see more of.

I’ve said before, if Marvel restores the marriage, I’ll support it as long as that lasts, just as I said I’d do for Superman and The Flash. And I’ve been true to my word.

But this “Us vs Them” mindset is terrible for the book. On all sides.

There are reasonable and civil supporters are both sides here. Don’t go off the deep end, no matter how much a story might piss you off.

And if they try and rile you up, take the high road. “Be greater”.
    In b4 somebody posts the 4chan post of modern supporters of Marriage & detractors that been flying around twitter, & thats starts even more hot shit takes.
    Last edited by Matt14teg; 08-21-2023 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    In b4 somebody posts the 4chan post of modern supporters of Marriage & detractors that been flying around twitter, & thats starts even more hot shit takes.
    I saw someone remind people that Marc Guggenheim once "joked" that MJ should have been raped and murdered.

BND writers, man. BND writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I saw someone remind people that Marc Guggenheim once "joked" that MJ should have been raped and murdered.

Inexcusable then and inexecusable now.

One of many reasons I STILL advocate for better peer-review at comic publishers.

Can you imagine saying that with sex abuse survivors in the room? Just utterly tone-deaf and ignorant. And sadly I’ve heard stories like that across the medium, where the guys in charge laugh and joke about rape and women killing. The industry has come a long way, but a lot is still defined by a very outdated corporate boy’s club mentality.

Hell.

STILL, I’d say be better than that.

Edit: This is why I’ve sounded off on Marvel having so many stories that threaten Mary Jane with rape. Almost no other major character at Marvel has had so many rape attempts. I never want to see it again.
    Last edited by Garlador; 08-21-2023 at 08:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

What? What are you talking about?
    I just explained it. I don't know what else you want me to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Why would they when sales is how they talk to them?
    Why would Editorial bu frustrated by fans if sales is how they talk to fans?

I don't know what that means.

BANNED

That he laughs about it just adds to the disgustingness of it. Has he ever apologized for this comment? Gonna assume not, Marvel writers, BND especially, seem to refuse to admit their mistakes.

Fantastic Member

Is this like out of context or referring to something, or is it just a straight weird off put joke

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    Is this like out of context or referring to something, or is it just a straight weird off put joke
    It's an attempt at humor. It's not very funny.

The fact that Guggenheim thought this was acceptable actually explains a lot about those behind-the-scenes stories about the Arrowverse shows.

It's an attempt at humor. It's not very funny.

The fact that Guggenheim thought this was acceptable actually explains a lot about those behind-the-scenes stories about the Arrowverse shows.
    This doesn't surprise me, and was (and in many cases remains) a problem in certain quadrants of the comic industry. Mark Millar shared a similar story concerning Wonder Woman (read at your own risk).
    spoilers:
    "I pitched this to DC for a laugh years back. The idea was that, like 'Death of Superman', we had 'Rape of Wonder Woman'; a twenty-two page rape scene that opened up into a gatefold at the end just like Superman did."
    The comic's idea surfaced around 1993, the year of the mentioned Death of Superman arc as well as the Batman arc Knightfall where the Caped Crusader got his spine broken by Bane and is forced to give the Batman identity to violent anti-hero Azrael as he recovers. Despite Millar saying that the story was just a joke he had made, he mentioned the fact that DC Comics was actually considering publishing the story and already had an artist draw a sketch for the comic's first page.
    This was meant to be DC's way of exploring a state of weakness to Wonder Woman in a similar vein to the previously Superman and Batman stories; with the comic starting with Wonder Woman being violated in public. However, the increase of rape allegations in the media at the time and a lot of complaints in both DC's writing and art departments lead to the comic's quick cancellation.
    end of spoilers