Page 7 of 90 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not worried about if MJ will be around later, in fact I know she will be. That really wasn't my concern and is reframing it into a different point in which I was not even arguing (about whether past stories are worth reading based on current knowledge - never said they weren't).
    You've misunderstood the point I was making. I'm not talking about reading past stories, or concern about Mary Jane's longevity.

You said that any future girlfriend won't be as iconic as Mary Jane.

I'm saying that I don't care whether or not a future girlfriend becomes as iconic as Mary Jane. I only care about the characters and stories being fresh, interesting and entertaining.

Ultimate Member

Already posted a rebuttal of this. It's a simple matter, Peter being single does not serve the stories like it did to prior to the development of MJ in the franchise. Given Spider-Man fans know and recognize Peter and MJ as the OTP for the Spider-Man franchise, having them exist in those roles in story would better serve the stories for readers. Trying to pair Peter with other women is not effective as it used to be prior to this. It isn't actually working for the stories, because it doesn't work for the characters that fans know them as.
    This depends entirely on how one views how important Peter's relationship status (or lack thereof) is important to the character. I do agree that it looks odd to see Peter date other women (it's fair to say that MJ is to Spider-man what Lois Lane is to Superman) and I'd much rather prefer he stays with MJ as a love interest.

I didn't like OMD but at the same time, I don't need Peter to be married to MJ for me to enjoy the stories being told. I could be a minority with that opinion (I really can't say either way) but that's how I've viewed this situation. Like I said above, so far they're together in one form or the other, I don't really care.

I think a lot of this comes down to personal preference.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You've misunderstood the point I was making. I'm not talking about reading past stories, or concern about Mary Jane's longevity.

I'm saying that I don't care whether or not a future girlfriend becomes as iconic as Mary Jane. I only care about the characters and stories being fresh, interesting and entertaining.
    But they won't add any future GF. They tried in BND and none even stuck. Look at Ann Marie or Carlie Cooper. Ann was more worried on how she looked to Otto than their saftey and Carlie has been made into a supporting cast type character for Mary Jane and also MJ has even had issues hanging out with other heroes and heroines..Black Cat does as well, but those are more team ups or her trying to steal from them.

Yeah I replied too soon and have already modified my post a couple times because I don't think I thought it through, and honestly still not happy with my reply because I rushed through it without thinking. Honestly I have grown tired of the back and forth on this and am trying to find a way to give a little to bow out of the conversation lol. So if my argument is falling apart at this point and I'm misunderstanding points forgive me, haha!

One thing, I just want to say I never said the comics are not worth reading anymore because of this. I just think I have a strong feeling.... that for a LOT of fans, the stories are not as effective as they could be at this time under this status quo.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 04-10-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    But they won't add any future GF. They tried in BND and none even stuck.
    I said that I don't care if they stick long-term. I liked the stuff with Carlie Cooper while it was happening.

I don't think Spider-Man should ever be in a relationship with the same character for 20 years.

I said that I don't care if they stick long-term. I liked the stuff with Carlie Cooper while it was happening.

I don't think Spider-Man should ever be in a relationship with the same character for 20 years.
    Nope, should not have been 20 years, should have been forever.

And.... I'm done.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

How many women has superman dated in the last 20 years?

Mighty Member

I think that if Mayday Parker was introduced into the 616 the Spidey franchise would slowly but surely start to revolve around her. I could see editorial, writers and some fans wanting to transition to May as the future, logical story progression they would call it. You just know that they would pull a Jon Kent and have some half assed storyline to age her up and get her into a costume and become the lead character. And where would that leave Peter, well playing second fiddle to his daughter. I'm indifferent to MJ, I read Spider-man for Peter not MJ and certainly not for some possible future baby. I never warmed to the idea of Superman and Batman having kids, and I don't think I would for Peter having one outside of some alt universe or what if story. As far as MJ goes, so long as they don't have her attached to Peter's hip or think that she always has to be around or treat her as the co-lead of the franchise then I'm fine if they reunite them. Marriage is whatever, but definitely no kid.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    I think that if Mayday Parker was introduced into the 616 the Spidey franchise would slowly but surely start to revolve around her. I could see editorial, writers and some fans wanting to transition to May as the future, logical story progression they would call it. You just know that they would pull a Jon Kent and have some half assed storyline to age her up and get her into a costume and become the lead character. And where would that leave Peter, well playing second fiddle to his daughter. I'm indifferent to MJ, I read Spider-man for Peter not MJ and certainly not for some possible future baby. I never warmed to the idea of Superman and Batman having kids, and I don't think I would for Peter having one outside of some alt universe or what if story. As far as MJ goes, so long as they don't have her attached to Peter's hip or think that she always has to be around or treat her as the co-lead of the franchise then I'm fine if they reunite them. Marriage is whatever, but definitely no kid.
    The fact that Superman and Batman still have stories where their children don't even appear proves such paranoia over May usurping Peter as the main protagonist is unjustified. You might as well get rid of any supporting character Spider-Man has if you're so opposed to anyone other than him being spotlighted in his book.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Nope, should not have been 20 years, should have been forever.

And.... I'm done.
    Hear, hear! To forever!

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Mighty Member

"The book continued to sell" is a wash. The book sold when Peter was single, it sold when he was married, it sold when he was de-married. 5 years from now the post-marriage era will have outlasted the marriage era.

If Marvel remarry Spider-Man, they get a brief sales spike, then back to normal. There are other ways to get a brief sales spike that don't handcuff the series long-term.

With the setup they have now, Peter and Mary Jane's relationship is an opt-in proposition. If the creative team wants to write them as a couple, they can. If they want to write them as just friends, they can. If they want to write them as exes with a lot of tension, they can. If they want to leave MJ off the table altogether, they can.

There's zero incentive for Marvel to change this.
    I think the days when people could honestly look at the book and call marriage restrictive are long past. The book has fallen so deep into time-changing reality-warping alternate universe nonsense that they could easily phase the marriage in and out as a status quo if they wanted to (like Supes and Lois.)

MJ has proven long-term viability as a love interest for Peter Parker. She's an iconic character and the fanbase generally likes their relationship and seems interested in consuming content about it. It would make sense to make that the default status quo. Then, if a writer has a really good story that hinges on Peter Parker being single or dating someone else, they can pitch that idea to editorial for an arc or two.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The fact that Superman and Batman still have stories where their children don't even appear proves such paranoia over May usurping Peter as the main protagonist is unjustified. You might as well get rid of any supporting character Spider-Man has if you're so opposed to anyone other than him being spotlighted in his book.
    Jon is college aged and Damian is often running around having adventures in other cities and other countries, he's never had a traditional parent/child relationship with Bruce.

Introducing a baby into the Spider-Man series, and having Peter actually live with and be a parent to that baby, is very different from the status quo of Batman and Superman.

There is no objective correct answer to if Peter should be married to MJ or if he should be single. Both sides have their fans. It is down to personal opinion and preference; both sides are valid.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Astonishing Member

In just 48 hours, Spider-Man fans became a minority of Wells and Lowe critics online. Now even Ms. Marvel fans and Marvel fans in general are angry.

I think it's fair to say that the hate for Editorial has never been this high and transparent.

Astonishing Member

This position sounds like women should be never depicted as equal partners in men’s lives; women can’t be characters in their own rights but are merely objects for Pete to chase, lose, and chase again in a never ending, repetitive cycle that keeps him a permanent member of the He-Man Women’s Hater’s Club mentality.

That’s pretty boring and a rather lonely, loveless, and regressive outlook to me, not to mention cynical and heartless when it comes to storytelling, but one is entitled to their preferences - even when ignoring the fact the twenty years did, in fact, happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    In just 48 hours, Spider-Man fans became a minority of Wells and Lowe critics online. Now even Ms. Marvel fans and Marvel fans in general are angry.

I think it's fair to say that the hate for Editorial has never been this high and transparent.
    Hate is a very strong word, but it’s definitely fair to say that between the outright, explicit misogyny thrown at MJ; the teasing of finally revealing the answers to a year long, highly annoying mystery box but instead it’s a last minute swerve into an outright fridging of Kamala Khan just as a reader “Gotcha!” - a move that is only celebrated by the worst dregs of the comics community and snacks of clueless white men not understanding the racist and misogynist implications; and the tone deaf responses: that frustration with Spider-editorial is at an all time high. I will say this run has united most of the fandom against it, a feat heretofore thought impossible.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-18-2023 at 06:09 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee