Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm a bit curious how you guys think this would work. Would it just be enough for one person in editorial to push the marriage?
    Idk if one person is needed but just have someone fake being anti marriage and when they get the editorial job flip the script and bam marriage in back. All the complaining about the marriage can finally be over
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

A reasonable person could look at the 20 years of the marriage, and think it didn't work in the long-term. There were some fallow periods.

I haven't said it's a sales issue, at least not in the short-term. A sales hit would be more of a long-term problem if stories are limited by a status quo that cements Peter's relationship.

I've spent a lot of time arguing about the marriage, and one idea I'm workshopping is figuring out the heart of the conflict. One side thinks it should be easier to change the status quo, and the other thinks that Peter & MJ are obviously endgame, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise.
    Thank you for pointing out that last part. That is very much it for me. I find it absolutely disingenuous to go through the motions and pretend that Peter and MJ may not work out in the long run when we know full well they will. It does not engage me to see them break up or go through temporary love interests, it just makes my eyes roll. I think in this day and age, fandom at large around the world think of Peter and MJ as the one true romantic pair for the Spider-Man mythos, and trying to fight that perception to get single Spider-Man firing on all cylinders in the comics is never going to work.

DC realized this with Lois and Clark, and Marvel should realize the same when it comes to Peter and MJ.

If Marvel wants a single Spider-Man so bad, they should give Ben Reilly a solo series instead of giving Peter 2 books. He would actually work as a single Spider-Man because he does not have his true love defined at this point, whereas Peter very much does.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 04-06-2023 at 12:13 PM.

Fantastic Member

I'm a bit curious how you guys think this would work. Would it just be enough for one person in editorial to push the marriage?

It seems for a change to the status quo you need the approval of a lot of people. That was the case for One More Day, and it's the situation with reversing it.
    I really doubt that Kevin Feige is going to even weigh in on whether or not Peter should be married in the comics or not. So I would imagine that if Lowe and Akira bought in and had a creative team down to tell stories about a married Spider-Man that would be all it takes.

Including this as a fun anecdote, the only film Spider-Man franchise without MJ as a love interest crashed and burned so dramatically that Sony had to partner with Marvel to get the character back on his feet.

I understand there's a lot of reasons why the amazing Spider-Man movies didn't work out creatively or commercially but it's a fun anecdote. And people were pretty mad when they cut MJ from the second movie.
    Last edited by Coop; 04-06-2023 at 12:08 PM.

Incredible Member

I always preferred my Spider-man single.

When the marriage happened, I didn’t care for it, but I continued to stick with it and stay onboard. And while I got used to it, I never felt the marraige stories were better than what came before.

And when OMD happened, didn’t take me long to get unused to the marriage.

In spite of being immersed in the entire marraige, turns out still prefer single Spider-man.

Who knew???

On different note, for those of you wanting the marraige back - stop posting videos, stop “liking”, stop ranting on forums.

Go old school - vote with your wallet, write actual letters (tons of them) via USPS, establish seminars in-person at the popular comic cons.

Or - you could re-read the old books or find something else you enjoy for recreation!
    Last edited by wleakr; 04-06-2023 at 02:28 PM.

Takes a look at the thread -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I always preferred my Spider-man.

When the marriage happened, I didn’t care for it, but I continued to stick with it and stay onboard. And while I got used to it, I never felt the marraige stories were better than what came before.

And when OMD happened, didn’t take me long to get unused to the marriage.

In spite of being immersed in the entire marraige, turns out still prefer single Spider-man.

Who knew???

On different note, for those of you wanting the marraige back - stop posting videos, stop “liking”, stop ranting on forums.

Go old school - vote with your wallet, write actual letters (tons of them) via USPS, establish seminars in-person at the popular comic cons.

Or - you could re-read the old books or find something else you enjoy for recreation!
    Good advice I suppose but I still believe Marvel will never bring back married Spider-Man based on sales. To bring bakc the marriage, it would have to be because of a long-term plan in place for that direction because they are open and excited about future story opportunities behind it. Otherwise, they could simply pull another Superior or some other creative team change to boost sales. Yeah but writing letter and stuff is good so long as you don't just sound like you are raging on them, but maybe make well thought out letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Good advice I suppose but I still believe Marvel will never bring back married Spider-Man based on sales. To bring bakc the marriage, it would have to be because of a long-term plan in place for that direction because they are open and excited about future story opportunities behind it. Otherwise, they could simply pull another Superior or some other creative team change to boost sales. Yeah but writing letter and stuff is good so long as you don't just sound like you are raging on them, but maybe make well thought out letters.
    If the sales tank they might bring back married Spidey if for no other reason than the people currently running the Spider-Office would probably be fired or moved. Long as ASM stays in the top 10 however? Marvel isn’t budging, they don’t care how many pro-marriage tweets get liked. Either drop the Spidey books and stick to adaptions to get your fill, which is what I’ve been doing, or make your peace with the marriage never returning.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I think it's just a matter of getting rid of Brevoort, Cebulski, and Lowe. Once new editors come in, it could get undone. Like with Didio.

That or the new Disney bosses might crack down on OMD for PR reasons (not likely but it wouldn't surprise me).

A side character in a movie being married with a kid is kinda illustrating why it worn happen in the comics. All indicators day this movie Peter is going to have much less time doing spidey stuff because of that. That works when he's not your main spidey, not so well when he doesn't. Mayday and married Peter is a nice alt universe story where Peter isn't your main character. No one wants to read about dad spidey, because it's gonna be a lot less spidey and a lot more dad. Won't happen in 616.

Mj and Peter being endgame or not is irrelevant. There is no endgame for 616 spidey. Which is precisely why they arent going to give his relationship ship an endgame. He is going to continue to be published for 30 more years and thats a lot of issues to write with no relationship drama which is a hallmark of spidey fiction.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    A side character in a movie being married with a kid is kinda illustrating why it worn happen in the comics. All indicators day this movie Peter is going to have much less time doing spidey stuff because of that. That works when he's not your main spidey, not so well when he doesn't. Mayday and married Peter is a nice alt universe story where Peter isn't your main character. No one wants to read about dad spidey, because it's gonna be a lot less spidey and a lot more dad. Won't happen in 616.
    Peter B. was the second protagonist of ITSV and is likely a protagonist in this too. These movies are ensemble films, not Miles solo films. Calling him a side character is a stretch.

Furthermore, Peter in 616 would never take May with him while out as Spider-Man. Peter B was clearly pulled to another dimension while in a bathrobe, which isn't at all a situation 616 Spidey deals with most of the time. So the comparison doesn't fit.

Mj and Peter being endgame or not is irrelevant. There is no endgame for 616 spidey. Which is precisely why they arent going to give his relationship ship an endgame. He is going to continue to be published for 30 more years and thats a lot of issues to write with no relationship drama which is a hallmark of spidey fiction.
    I really don't think relationship drama is a hallmark of Spider-Man. Spider-Man is supposed to be relatable, and relationship drama was what was relatable when he was a teenager. It's (usually) not relatable when you're an adult.

In other words, the book had relationship drama because he was a teenager and not the other way around.

Astonishing Member

They don't give a damn about hate, and even if they do, it won't lead to changes you want, moreover, it just makes things worse.
    Changes are possible in two cases. Either ASM sales are falling so badly that they have to change something, or the exact same thing happens to Marvel that happened to DC when DiDio and his team were fired, which led to certain changes in their comics, because the new team has different vision. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Peter being married does not mean that every single issue does he have to spend it with his wife and kid. There can be issues where he just does classic Spider-Man and other issues where it centers on his family. Balance is key.

Are you kidding me? There was plenty of relationship drama during the marriage, in fact that was the only good relationship drama we've had for the past 30 years. The relationship drama post-OMD has frankly sucked.

If you think having Peter cycle through love interests that no body gives a crap about like Carlie Cooper, Lian Tang, Mockingbird, etc makes for good relationship drama, I want some of what you are smoking. Everyone knows these women are going to disappear forever out of Peter's life in a short period for him to get back with MJ later. Why would anyone care what happens between Peter and them? The good thing about the marriage is the relationship drama is about the only 2 character that matter as far as Peter's relationships go, Peter and MJ. That way readers actually care about the storyline between them because it matters and is going to last.

If Peter has a disagreement, fight, or falling out with MJ, readers care because it's about characters they are invested in, if Peter has a disagreement with another girl like Carlie or whoever, the fan reaction is "Good! Maybe they'll break up so he can get back with MJ." The latter is not good relationship drama, that a result of fans who are STARVING for good relationship drama that they will actually care about. Understand?
    Last edited by Vortex85; 04-06-2023 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I really doubt that Kevin Feige is going to even weigh in on whether or not Peter should be married in the comics or not. So I would imagine that if Lowe and Akira bought in and had a creative team down to tell stories about a married Spider-Man that would be all it takes.

Including this as a fun anecdote, the only film Spider-Man franchise without MJ as a love interest crashed and burned so dramatically that Sony had to partner with Marvel to get the character back on his feet.

I understand there's a lot of reasons why the amazing Spider-Man movies didn't work out creatively or commercially but it's a fun anecdote. And people were pretty mad when they cut MJ from the second movie.
    Feige might be able to push it, but it would be a time-consuming fight, so he'd likely sit it out.

The creative team likely isn't the biggest issue. The editors could get new writers on Amazing Spider-Man.

But it probably isn't going to be something that Cebulski and Lowe can decide by themselves. There are other decisionmakers at Marvel and Disney.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Feige might be able to push it, but it would be a time-consuming fight, so he'd likely sit it out.

The creative team likely isn't the biggest issue. The editors could get new writers on Amazing Spider-Man.

But it probably isn't going to be something that Cebulski and Lowe can decide by themselves. There are other decisionmakers at Marvel and Disney.
    I haven't seen any indication Feige is at all involved in the comics side at this point.

Astonishing Member

Now with social media to show it, anti-OMD sentiment across fandom has become widespread. And it seem the vast majority would prefer Peter married w/ Mayday as a daughter.

I mean this video has 291k views and 19k upvotes. Checking the comments you see the vast majority siding that OMD was a mistake in some way or turned off by it.

Further with recent previews of Mayday being announced social media is showing how people feel with likes/comments raging against editorial.

I don't see how editorial can sit there and say it's just a few users on a forum. Fandom at large is widespread in the know on this issue. This is way beyond a few users on a forum.
    My biggest problem with editorial is their arrogant attitude. The infamous Brevoort comment that we are supposed to like OMD because it is good for us is a perfect example of this. They also do stuff like reprint the marriage issue, all that does is anger people and they know it. Basically teasing people.