Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

For long running series with multiple creative teams, every generation has "their" version. People have their James Bond, their Doctor Who, their Star Trek, their Ninja Turtles, their Batman. All of these series change to reflect the times as well as the tastes of the people working on them. Sometimes they'll bring back ideas and some of the flavor of a previous iteration, but it's never the same as before.

The married Spider-Man era is over. And if they ever brought it back in some capacity, it wouldn't be the same.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    But it probably isn't going to be something that Cebulski and Lowe can decide by themselves. There are other decisionmakers at Marvel and Disney.
    Well, Cebulski recently said that there is no mandate preventing the marriage. That it's basically an editorial/writing preference that could change. As such, I would imagine that there's no executive decisionmaker above Cebulski preventing it.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-06-2023 at 05:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Well, Cebulski recently said that there is no mandate preventing the marriage. That it's basically an editorial/writing preference that could change. As such, I would imagine that there's no executive decisionmaker above Cebulski preventing it.
    Same. Maybe Brevoort but that's about it.

Once Cebulski and Brevoort and maybe Lowe are gone, IMD might be gone too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

going to be a long time til then
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    going to be a long time til then
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    The point on other decisionmakers isn't about a mandate. It's more that if you want to make a major change in a company like Marvel, there are several people who could stand in the way, so if it would be helpful if they were supportive of a change, or at least indifferent to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    My biggest problem with editorial is their arrogant attitude. The infamous Brevoort comment that we are supposed to like OMD because it is good for us is a perfect example of this. They also do stuff like reprint the marriage issue, all that does is anger people and they know it. Basically teasing people.
    I don't think editorial attitude makes much of a difference for most fans. They're going to be primed to have generous interpretations of comics pros they like, and bad interpretations of comments by those they don't like.

There isn't much editorial could say to appease people who don't like a change, and people rarely care about editorial attitudes if they like the direction.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Feige might be able to push it, but it would be a time-consuming fight, so he'd likely sit it out.

The creative team likely isn't the biggest issue. The editors could get new writers on Amazing Spider-Man.

But it probably isn't going to be something that Cebulski and Lowe can decide by themselves. There are other decisionmakers at Marvel and Disney.
    I don't think that heavy hitters weigh in on Peter being married or not. I think Akira has the discretion to do such a thing on the comics side. I would imagine more people have to weigh in on adding a new ride to Disneyland then would have to weigh in on having Spider-Man get married. I don't have the sales numbers but what At most of their 200,000 people reading Amazing Spider-Man every month? That's not even $12m a year If Disney made the whole price of the comic. The company is almost doing 100 billion in revenue. The decision to marry Spider-Man will at most result in a couple hundred thousand dollars up or down.

I don't think that Feige has to approve it. I don't think that Bob Iger gets an email. I don't think it comes up on the shareholders calls. I really don't think it's a big deal to the greater world that Spider-Man would be married. Most people who knew he was married assume he still is because well the idea that he sold his marriage to Satan is pretty effing stupid so it probably doesn't occur to the non-comics reader. And the people who never knew he was married don't know.

I think at most the marketing department would get informed so they could issue a press release that would at least give sales a temporary boost because of speculation.
    Last edited by Coop; 04-06-2023 at 10:16 PM.

My biggest problem with editorial is their arrogant attitude. The infamous Brevoort comment that we are supposed to like OMD because it is good for us is a perfect example of this. They also do stuff like reprint the marriage issue, all that does is anger people and they know it. Basically teasing people.
    No.

This is the exact kind of attitude we need to stop.

The problem isn't marvel's attitude. It's the toxic entitled fans that feel no matter what marvel does they're doing it because they hate the fans or the characters. Nobody at marvel is trying to make you mad or to tease you by reprinting the stuff you claim you want to see to begin with and you need to stop acting like they are. They are not your enemy no matter what your insane conspiracy theories say.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Idk if one person is needed but just have someone fake being anti marriage and when they get the editorial job flip the script and bam marriage in back. All the complaining about the marriage can finally be over

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

I mean, are you guys really reading what your typing out. You're basically pinning all your hopes that there will be a massive editorial upheval and that somehow all the powers that be that take leadership positions will all be people nostalgic for the Marriage.

What happened with DC isn't the gotcha you want it to be either. It took a decade of reboots/revivals constantly backfiring and then Warner Bros getting into a massive financial crisis for the paradigm shift to finally occur.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I mean, are you guys really reading what your typing out. You're basically pinning all your hopes that there will be a massive editorial upheval and that somehow all the powers that be that take leadership positions will all be people nostalgic for the Marriage.

What happened with DC isn't the gotcha you want it to be either. It took a decade of reboots/revivals constantly backfiring and then Warner Bros getting into a massive financial crisis for the paradigm shift to finally occur.
    Isn't the later kind of happening currently happening in a similar way though?

i was mostly trolling in my post but am i not wrong. Until someone who works at marvel who enjoys the marriage that has a position that can change things. its not coming back
    Last edited by Jman27; 04-07-2023 at 06:39 AM.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

What's funny is that 15 years ago people were saying "Once Joe Quesada and Steve Wacker are gone..."

Astonishing Member

It really doesn't have to be "massive". There aren't that many people at Marvel who are pro-OMD, as shown by the fact that (1) they keep recycling BND writers to write Spider-Man and (2) there is no sign of anyone above middle-management having a problem with the marriage. Also, Brevoort and Cebulski and Lowe are all closer to retirement age than to Peter Parker's age. So we absolutely have good evidence to think that once they retire, there is no one standing in the way of undoing OMD.

Besides, the massive upheaval you're referring to is already happening, to a certain extent. Disney fired Permutter and is completely integrating the comics division into Disney. That means Lowe and Cebulski and Brevoort will all have to report to a new boss, who may or may not crack down on OMD (could be Feige or someone else entirely). And it's not a stretch at all to think the new boss would look at OMD as a PR liability and demand it undone. We don't know if that will happen yet but it's absolutely a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What's funny is that 15 years ago people were saying "Once Joe Quesada and Steve Wacker are gone..."
    And they have gone, and that position is a lot weaker. Editorial is changing.

Changed my mind based on that other thread, looks like you were right Vortex, at least some people at Marvel DO care about all the people on Twitter dunking on them and praising Mayday appearing in ATSV

Is that enough to push them to undo OMD? I still don’t think so but it does seem to have rattled them. I expect them to rationalize it away like so however:

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/