Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    In all seriousness, do you think your posts here could influence the next run on Spider-Man? Is this the best venue for your voice to be heard and taken seriously? Is the tone of the posts where you've criticised the comic and its creators, past and present, conducive to this goal?
    To be honest I'm barely a drop in the bucket and my influence will probably amount to nothing. But if everyone thought that way with a similar opinion as mine, then voices would never be heard that hold my view. It's extremely unlikely I am the only fan with my exact opinion out of all the fans out there, so at least I can advocate for those with similar opinions who don't feel the conviction to come on here and post them, or are simply casually invested and not as hardcore as I am. As I've shown on twitter there are 10s of thousands who may feel this way but they don't have the time or investment to post regularly on the topic. At least I may be a voice for them.

As far as the tone of certain posts, maybe I'm not infallible and sometimes I can get a little frustrated on a select few posts. But I try to stay level headed and simply make points without being critical or "attacking" anyone as much as I can. If you think I have criticised or attacked comic creators unfairly you may have me confused with other posters.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 04-07-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

In all seriousness, do you think your posts here could influence the next run on Spider-Man? Is this the best venue for your voice to be heard and taken seriously? Is the tone of the posts where you've criticised the comic and its creators, past and present, conducive to this goal?
    This is a social forum where people discuss comic book issues, ideas and general other things in the comic medium. A small base really or more adequate a second of a forum. What people talk about her shouldn't make a change in a comic medium, but there are much larger forms of social media interactions out there, but isn't the point of a forum to talk about thinks partly like this? Yes things can get heated, but the point is to know when to not cross that line as remember we're all people and sometimes your views don't line up with others and vice versa.

I can see it from both sides. I work in the service industry, so I know that a lot of things people attribute to conspiracies or ill will, are nothing of the sort. We're just people, doing what we can with what we got, dealing with red tape, and doing what we hope will work. Obviously, hostility against fans isn't okay. But like, I don't think it's fair to assume the worst out of most creators.

At the same time, I don't blame fans for having serious mistrust in Marvel or some of its workers. Especially when it feels like their voices will never be heard, because all that matters is that a title sells - largely because of brand recognition, and heavily supported by an invisible group of fans who largely support the series no matter what. Obviously, assuming the worst out of creators, attacking them, etc. is not cool. But being a Spidey fan requires a heavy dose of cynicism.

Even now, I'm over-simplyifying the issues both sides have. The important thing to remember if that you're dealing with people who have legitimate grievances and gripes with the other side. And the only way to make true progress in understanding, is to accept that Hellion is the best Spider-adjacent character and should appear in more books. Once we can agree on this objective fact, we can find common ground and start moving forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I can see it from both sides. I work in the service industry, so I know that a lot of things people attribute to conspiracies or ill will, are nothing of the sort. We're just people, doing what we can with what we got, dealing with red tape, and doing what we hope will work. Obviously, hostility against fans isn't okay. But like, I don't think it's fair to assume the worst out of most creators.

At the same time, I don't blame fans for having serious mistrust in Marvel or some of its workers. Especially when it feels like their voices will never be heard, because all that matters is that a title sells - largely because of brand recognition, and heavily supported by an invisible group of fans who largely support the series no matter what. Obviously, assuming the worst out of creators, attacking them, etc. is not cool. But being a Spidey fan requires a heavy dose of cynicism.

Even now, I'm over-simplyifying the issues both sides have. The important thing to remember if that you're dealing with people who have legitimate grievances and gripes with the other side. And the only way to make true progress in understanding, is to accept that Hellion is the best Spider-adjacent character and should appear in more books. Once we can agree on this objective fact, we can find common ground and start moving forward.
    Hellion? You mean Mayday Parker, right?
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Hellion? You mean Mayday Parker, right?
    New Marvel Team-Up series featuring Mayday Parker and Hellion!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    To be honest I'm barely a drop in the bucket and my influence will probably amount to nothing. But if everyone thought that way with a similar opinion as mine, then voices would never be heard that hold my view. It's extremely unlikely I am the only fan with my exact opinion out of all the fans out there, so at least I can advocate for those with similar opinions who don't feel the conviction to come on here and post them, or are simply casually invested and not as hardcore as I am. As I've shown on twitter there are 10s of thousands who may feel this way but they don't have the time or investment to post regularly on the topic. At least I may be a voice for them.

As far as the tone of certain posts, maybe I'm not infallible and sometimes I can get a little frustrated on a select few posts. But I try to stay level headed and simply make points without being critical or "attacking" anyone as much as I can. If you think I have criticised or attacked comic creators unfairly you may have me confused with other posters.
    If the goal of your posts is to get noticed by Marvel and influence the direction of the series, then you need to write them with that audience in mind. Take your thread about all about how "the majority" of fans hate Spider-Man editorial. Is that something a Spider-Man editor, the target audience of your posts, is going to want to read, is going to take seriously?

Think about the numbers you're bringing up. You're talking about likes and views on Twitter and YouTube. The editors at Marvel have access to years of data with more accurate numbers regarding how many comic retailers there are, how big the overall customer base is, how many customers are buying single issues, digital issues, graphic novels, digital graphic novels, what Marvel Unlimited subscribers are reading, and so on. They have numbers that are directly relevant to their jobs. How much heed are they going to give to the number of likes on a snarky tweet, or a YouTube video about how every Spider-Man comic they've ever made has completely sucked?

In the end it's all moot, because none of it means anything unless the editors working on the Spider-Man line of comics are actually on this forum and reading your posts.

This isn't the venue to give feedback to Nick Lowe and other editors working in the Spider-Man group. If that's what you want to do, then you should send them letters directly. Amazing Spider-Man has a letters column. They read those.
    Last edited by Lee; 04-07-2023 at 02:16 PM.

If the goal of your posts is to get noticed by Marvel and influence the direction of the series, then you need to write them with that audience in mind. Take your thread about all about how "the majority" of fans hate Spider-Man editorial. Is that something a Spider-Man editor, the target audience of your posts, is going to want to read, is going to take seriously?

Think about the numbers you're bringing up. You're talking about likes and views on Twitter and YouTube. The editors at Marvel have access to years of data with more accurate numbers regarding how many comic retailers there are, how big the overall customer base is, how many customers are buying single issues, digital issues, graphic novels, digital graphic novels, what Marvel Unlimited subscribers are reading, and so on. They have numbers that are directly relevant to their jobs. How much heed are they going to they going to give to the number of likes on a snarky tweet, or a YouTube video about how every Spider-Man comic they've ever made has completely sucked?

In the end it's all moot, because none of it means anything unless the editors working on the Spider-Man line of comics are actually on this forum and reading your posts.

This isn't the venue to give feedback to Nick Lowe and other Spider-Man group editors. If that's what you want to do, then you should send them letters directly. Amazing Spider-Man has a letters column. They read those.
    Ok thanks for the info and insight. I guess at the end of the day I've just posted here on this to spread awareness about the topic as to what I have seen on other parts of the internet so members of the forum are aware about the discourse on other platforms. It's not necessarily to be seen by Marvel directly. That's why I didn't more carefully word my topic and just posted the question that was in my head when seeing all those twitter topics on disliking the direction of the comics.

As far as having them hear directly from me, I have emailed them a few times about my feeling in the past (around the end of Spencer's run for example) but not a lot because I don't want to be a fan that sounds like a broken record. So they have heard from me a few times and know my opinion on things. Of course, they wouldn't tie it to this account since I've used my real name in the emails and not this user name. Also when I email them I just don't beg them to bring back the marriage, in fact I've never asked that. I typically have just said something related to the comics and threw in the info that I liked when Peter was married as extra.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 04-07-2023 at 02:23 PM.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    You see how this looks, don't you? To any reasonable person, it looks like the fall of an empire.
    Bruh… please tell me this was said in irony.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Have you ever considered...

That the people overseeing, editing, writing, and producing these comics are simply trying to put out the best stories possible and don't have any bizarre, evil schemes to "ruin" characters or "enrage" fans?

That none of them are "anti-marriage"? That practically all of the people who've worked on the editorial and multiple writing teams are actually happily married and/or in healthy adult relationships? And that a number of them have married off OTHER characters in OTHER Marvel Comics?

That no one is creating "self insert" characters-- or trying to live vicariously through the fictional characters that they are either overseeing and/or creating adventures for?

That maybe there are sections of a very passionate fanbase who have been ascribing cartoonish and completely off base personalities to the real life people who create adventures of completely fictional characters?

Just throwing that out there.
    Some decisions seem bizarre and mean-spirited (having Ben, a character known for refusing to give up, essentially lay down to die but instead being transformed into a homicidal maniac) and some of it seems deliberately provocative and trying to cause controversy. That, I think is fair to be frustrated with.

Generally, though, I try not to attack the creatives as people since I don't know them and unless they're being overtly combative with fans, I have nothing against them personally. I don't think the creatives are anti-marriage, but they do seem determined to ignore how many fans find the idea of Peter selling his marriage to Satan a particularly ridiculous idea that leave a dark stain on the character.

That said, people on here get too personal with their anger, I agree. I haven't always loved your ideas for the character--in fact, some have infuriated me--but you seem like a nice enough guy with a genuine love of the character, so I try to keep my frustration with the story and not direct it at the dude writing it. There's a line between hating a story and hating a person that too many fans on here cross.

Angry

Besides people harping on Editorial, there is another similar problem that makes me not want to engage other users here in "debates" -

I am tired of the MJ or Die Stans. Every time an alternative love interest for Peter is brought up they jump that the love interest is not worthy of Peter in some way. It is irritating. There was even a user in the past who wrote mini-articles defaming Gwen, Felicia, Carly, etc. whenever someone would state they like X characters as a potential love interest.

I just thought "hey, here is a good place to throw this complaint out" if we are airing all the dirty laundry. Preference is okay but honestly some users take it way, way, WAY too far. Debate is okay if it is conducted in good faith. Be respectful of other views you are not always right about everything. And, finally, don't hate or love fictional characters to the point of obsession to do so is silly and counterproductive. Harassing other users and creatives will not get you what you want, trust me.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-07-2023 at 03:06 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Besides people harping on Editorial, there is another similar problem that makes me not want to engage other users here in "debates" -

I am tired of the MJ or Die Stans. Every time an alternative love interest for Peter is brought up they jump that the love interest is not worthy of Peter in some way. It is irritating. There was even a user in the past who wrote mini-articles defaming Gwen, Felicia, Carly, etc. whenever someone would state they like X characters as a potential love interest.

I just thought "hey, here is a good place to throw this complaint out" if we are airing all the dirty laundry. Preference is okay but honestly some users take it way, way, WAY too far. Debate is okay if it is conducted in good faith.
    It's a bit weird to argue other women as "potential" love interests. They really don't have any potential as fans are going to always ask about Peter and MJ in the long run. Would you go on Superman if he was single right now and complain if fans jumped on other love interests besides Lois? I mean sure, he may be able to date other women but they aren't going to go anywhere and most Superman fans understand the he and Lois are the OTP couple. I guess I just don't see fandom ever able to get behind other love interests besides MJ in the same way for Spider-Man. It's not just a comics issue, it's a pop culture issue. Spider-Man and MJ are the iconic pair of his mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    It's a bit weird to argue them as potential love interests. Would you go on Superman if he was single right now and complain if fans jumped on other love interests besides Lois? I mean sure, he may be able to date other women but they aren't going to go anywhere and most Superman fans understand the he and Lois are the OTP couple. I guess I just don't see fandom ever able to get behind other love interests besides MJ in the same way for Spider-Man. It's not just a comics issue, it's a pop culture issue. Spider-Man and MJ are the iconic pair of his mythos.
    You proved my point, thanks.

And, to answer your question - I might, if I felt they could be interesting as a love interest and Sups is now single. I'd favor Wonder Woman though but Lana could be interesting given their history.

I just thought "hey, here is a good place to throw this complaint out" if we are airing all the dirty laundry. Preference is okay but honestly some users take it way, way, WAY too far. Debate is okay if it is conducted in good faith.
    those shippers are among the worst in any fandom.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    those shippers are among the worst in any fandom.
    I must agree. They can be extremely obnoxious. And I cannot relate to such passion because I love alternate realities and thus divergent ships. This is because I love considering What Ifs? in fiction, especially comic books. I blame my creative writer's mind.

Spider-Man: Black Cat, OG Gwen, aged-up Spider-Gwen, Betty Brant, etc.

Superman: Lana, Wonder Woman, Maxima, etc.

Batman: Talia al Ghul, Ivy, Wonder Woman, Harley, etc.

I must agree. They can be extremely obnoxious. And I cannot relate to such passion because I love alternate realities and thus divergent ships. This is because I love considering What Ifs? in fiction, especially comic books. I blame my creative writer's mind.

Spider-Man: Black Cat, OG Gwen, aged-up Spider-Gwen, Betty Brant, etc.

Superman: Lana, Wonder Woman, Maxima, etc.

Batman: Talia al Ghul, Ivy, Wonder Woman, Harley, etc.
    ivy and bats do they have alternative stories btw
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy