Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Have you ever considered...?

Have you ever considered...

That the people overseeing, editing, writing, and producing these comics are simply trying to put out the best stories possible and don't have any bizarre, evil schemes to "ruin" characters or "enrage" fans?

That none of them are "anti-marriage"? That practically all of the people who've worked on the editorial and multiple writing teams are actually happily married and/or in healthy adult relationships? And that a number of them have married off OTHER characters in OTHER Marvel Comics?

That no one is creating "self insert" characters-- or trying to live vicariously through the fictional characters that they are either overseeing and/or creating adventures for?

That maybe there are sections of a very passionate fanbase who have been ascribing cartoonish and completely off base personalities to the real life people who create adventures of completely fictional characters?

Just throwing that out there.

I can feel the exasperation in this post and I completely understand it. I may not like some the decisions that have been made by the writers and editors in regards to Spider-Man, but I can't lie that some of the stuff I've seen people post throughout social media has been completely toxic and uncalled for. It makes me feel bad a bit because I've admittedly done things a bit similar before in the past, though I have been making an effort not to. So much of the fandom I've seen has been demonizing the Spider-Office for making creative decisions we don't agree with but they tend to forget that, as you said, they're simply doing what they think is best for the story and character. You may not agree with them, hell I don't, but they clearly care about them. And I have to think it must get demoralizing at times to see so much of...this. (Granted some of it is probably slightly amusing as well but still)

And this isn't to say you shouldn't voice your criticisms of what's being put out, not at all! It's just important to do it in a calmer and respectful manner that recognizes that these are people who are trying to entertain their audience. I feel like the fandom has been drowning in toxicity as of late and it's just depressing to see. If I had to guess I feel like it's because people felt led on and even betrayed by stuff like the end of the Spencer run and Beyond, and while I can't deny I felt similarly, what I've seen online is not the right way to handle it. I feel bad for Nick and Wells as they seem like genuinely chill guys and they don't deserve the level of hate they're getting, and I feel bad that people seemingly won't give new things a chance solely because it's not what they wanted.

Honestly, I can't even say that I wonder what it'll take for it to stop because, and not to sound like one of those guys, but I think we all know what it would take for it to stop, or at least get minimized. What I really wonder though is what will happen if they still never get what they're asking for. I don't like being pessimistic, but I can't say it can't get worse. I hope it doesn't though, in fact I really hope this fanbase gets it's fucking **** together soon because hot damn I am going to lose my mind one of these days you don't even know.

I don't really know how to end this rant(?) so all I'm going to say is that creatives have feelings too people. Bullying is not the way. Spider-Man would be disappointed in you, yadda yadda yadda. Be respectful plz.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    I can feel the exasperation in this post and I completely understand it. I may not like some the decisions that have been made by the writers and editors in regards to Spider-Man, but I can't lie that some of the stuff I've seen people post throughout social media has been completely toxic and uncalled for. It makes me feel bad a bit because I've admittedly done things a bit similar before in the past, though I have been making an effort not to. So much of the fandom I've seen has been demonizing the Spider-Office for making creative decisions we don't agree with but they tend to forget that, as you said, they're simply doing what they think is best for the story and character. You may not agree with them, hell I don't, but they clearly care about them. And I have to think it must get demoralizing at times to see so much of...this. (Granted some of it is probably slightly amusing as well but still)

And this isn't to say you shouldn't voice your criticisms of what's being put out, not at all! It's just important to do it in a calmer and respectful manner that recognizes that these are people who are trying to entertain their audience. I feel like the fandom has been drowning in toxicity as of late and it's just depressing to see. If I had to guess I feel like it's because people felt led on and even betrayed by stuff like the end of the Spencer run and Beyond, and while I can't deny I felt similarly, what I've seen online is not the right way to handle it. I feel bad for Nick and Wells as they seem like genuinely chill guys and they don't deserve the level of hate they're getting, and I feel bad that people seemingly won't give new things a chance solely because it's not what they wanted.

Honestly, I can't even say that I wonder what it'll take for it to stop because, and not to sound like one of those guys, but I think we all know what it would take for it to stop, or at least get minimized. What I really wonder though is what will happen if they still never get what they're asking for. I don't like being pessimistic, but I can't say it can't get worse. I hope it doesn't though, in fact I really hope this fanbase gets it's fucking **** together soon because hot damn I am going to lose my mind one of these days you don't even know.

I don't really know how to end this rant(?) so all I'm going to say is that creatives have feelings too people. Bullying is not the way. Spider-Man would be disappointed in you, yadda yadda yadda. Be respectful plz.
    Very much agreed.

It's just so, uhhh, ""awesome"", that creatives like Tom King get death threats from "Bat-fans" and have to bring bodyguards to cons. That a-tier talent like Zdarsky wouldn't touch ASM with a 10-foot pole for the sake of his mental health. That Nick Spencer wrote the least interesting, safest book of his career after being pilloried for taking a huge storytelling risk on his Captain America, and then bailed for Substack without a word of farewell.

These are the people that stand between us and megacorps that would just as happily serve us ChatGPT-generated comics if it saved them a buck. They deserve better treatment than this.

I think there's a lot of people that have passed "voicing their opinions" a long time ago and moved straight on to dwelling in bitterness and hate mongering.

I've got probabaly about half the posters in this section of the forum blocked because they keep saying stupid crap, coming up with insane conspiracy theories, and just generally pissing me off and I don't even work for marvel. I can't imagine how bad it must be for somebody that actually puts time and effort into the creation of the books.

This whole section of the forum, and frankly a good section of the hate-filled obsessive delusional online Spider-man fanbase needs a good swift kick in the ass.
    Last edited by Alan2099; 04-07-2023 at 04:11 AM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

As an avid doctor who fan. I will present this question as to this being a long and drawn out conversation can we ask this.
    What's the context. Did something happen recently to provide this train of thought but a wise man once said
    a9c~2.jpg

Just a food for thought

And a doctor who quite to follow up.."love is not an emotion it's a promise"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post

That the people overseeing, editing, writing, and producing these comics are simply trying to put out the best stories possible and don't have any bizarre, evil schemes to "ruin" characters or "enrage" fans?

That none of them are "anti-marriage"? That practically all of the people who've worked on the editorial and multiple writing teams are actually happily married and/or in healthy adult relationships? And that a number of them have married off OTHER characters in OTHER Marvel Comics?

That no one is creating "self insert" characters-- or trying to live vicariously through the fictional characters that they are either overseeing and/or creating adventures for?

That maybe there are sections of a very passionate fanbase who have been ascribing cartoonish and completely off base personalities to the real life people who create adventures of completely fictional characters?

Yep, this forum sometimes can get so radioactive a spider could gain superpowers.

Its honestly weird how some people in here write entire personalities based on something someone said on Twitter, or based on what happened in a comic. And, like JustLuke said, people should voice their opinion on things they like/dislike, but we have to always be respectful with one another. Sure, the new AMS run might not be getting the best reviews I've seen but criticizing the author and not the work will get us nowhere.

I'm honestly disappointed on the fan base that you had to come here and remind people to be respectful, but here we are.

It's okay to dislike something and tell our opinions to the creators, but don't be a jerk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
    Yep, this forum sometimes can get so radioactive a spider could gain superpowers.
    Yep. All of this. That goes for everything voiced in the thread, too. It's a giant resentment spiral.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Yep. All of this. That goes for everything voiced in the thread, too. It's a giant resentment spiral.
    But what the thread is made up of less than what 40 or less people and on twitter, reddit and other platforms it's in the thousands?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    But what the thread is made up of less than what 40 or less people and on twitter, reddit and other platforms it's in the thousands?
    The resentment spiral is not limited to this forum alone ... and social media driven by resentment-fueled engagement quite frequently, especially in fandom.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 04-07-2023 at 06:07 AM.

Astonishing Member

It's all very Eltingville Club.

It's a huge leap in logic: "I don't like this comic. Therefore it's bad. Therefore it's intentionally bad. Therefore everyone who worked on it is a terrible person with sinister motivations."

I think two good rules of thumb for posting are "Would I say this to this person face-to-face in real life?" and "Would I be embarrassed if a partner, friend, or relative saw my posts?".

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    The resentment spiral is not limited to this forum alone ... and social media driven by resentment-fueled engagement quite frequently, especially in fandom.
    One of the huge problems with social media is that it's created a victim culture. Everybody wants to be the victim because then people feel sorry for them and praise them. Somebody did something you don't like. That makes you the victim. That means they're the bad guy. Since they're the badguy they deserve no sympathy and should be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post

Who are you talking to specifically? There is less than a handful of users on this forum who have claimed that editorial is having an evil scheme to enrage fans, or they are anti-marriage in their own lives, or having a self-insert character. I have seen those posts but it's only like a couple users who said that. It's not some monolithic group. The rest of us are just talking about the dislike of the current direction in a completely rational and controlled way.

When you come on here addressing the room and get responses from other uses like yeah fans are toxic or like "fandom needs a kick in the nuts" this drives the idea that thousands of fans on twitter liking comments that are upset about Marvel's direction with Spider-Man and such are all psychos with this idea in their head, and are toxic but they are not. There only a few users making those type of comments and the rest of us are just making our voices heard without attacking any creators or making insane claims like that.

Maybe it would better to address those users septically on their posts instead of making it seem like everyone who disagrees is lumped into a single monolithic group of people who play the victims or are toxic/entitled group.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 04-07-2023 at 06:29 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Who are you talking to specifically? There is less than a handful of users on this forum who have claimed that editorial is having an evil scheme to enrage fans, or they are anti-marriage in their own lives, or having a self-insert character. I have seen those posts but it's only like a couple users who said that. It's not some monolithic group. The rest of us are just talking about the dislike of the current direction in a completely rational and controlled way.
    Hi. Aren't you the person who recently started a thread here called...

*checks notes*

..."Has the Spider-Man editorial hate ever been this large and transparent?"
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 04-07-2023 at 06:33 AM.

Incredible Member

(Double post. Sorry.)