View Poll Results: New Star Wars movies-which are you most looking forward to?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • James Mangold's Dawn of the Jedi/Episode Zero

5 20.83%
  • Dave Filoni's Disney+ post-ROTJ wrap up/Thrawn trilogy semi-adaptation?

4 16.67%
  • Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's Rey/New Jedi Order/Episode 10/Coda?

4 16.67%
  • Can't decide/all of them!

1 4.17%
  • None

10 41.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The new movies: Which one are you most looking forward to?

Figured a poll would be interesting given today's news.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-07-2023 at 03:04 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Niffleheim

I don't see myself going to the cinema to watch a Filoni or Chinoy movie but I'll definitely watch Mangold's "The Passion of the Jedi" movie if it has good reviews
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

All of them, though Rey’s Jedi Order one might suck a lot if they elect to bring Ben back or worse have him force impregnate Rey Shimi style. No thanks to that.

Heir to the Empire is easiest to imagine with all the threads of Filoni’s projects coming together, even if it’s likely to see Ahsoka sacrifice herself.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Voted None

I wanted to vote Filoni's Trilogy but this current season of Mando is really bad in my books.

No idea what to expect with the Dawn of the Jedi so I can't say right now. As for the Sequel Trilogy, I think it was the worst thing to happen to Star Wars.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-07-2023 at 04:45 PM.

I'm not a sequel trilogy fan and haven't watched the Mandalorian yet so Dawn of the Jedi is my pick.

Voted for Dawn of the Jedi.

I'm interested in what they might do with Rey and the post-sequels stuff. But my interest there is largely academic. It's a "how will they course-correct after screwing up, and will they manage to salvage the stuff I think needs to be salvaged?" thought experiment, y'know? Curious if this film can do for the sequels what Clone Wars did for the prequels, but I'm less interested in Rey and her journey than I am in what might come of it and if it can undo the damage TLJ and tRoS did. And if John Boyega isn't involved my interest drops a lot. If Kylo Ren is involved, my interest drops a lot.

I'm hyped about the Heir to the Empire team-up. That's gonna be a fun spectacle. But I'm already enjoying these characters and the story on the small screen and I've seen this kind of cross-franchise team-up before in other genres. I'm looking forward to "The Avengers Strike Back" but it's not some big curious unknown, y'know? It's just what I already have on a bigger screen and budget.

Getting to see the people who discover the Force and build the foundation of the Jedi? As a semi-religious biblical saga style movie? That's something I haven't seen (outside of Dune anyway) and a genre Star Wars hasn't done before. I'm really fascinated by what they do there, and it's set so far in the past there's no telling what we'll see. This is the biggest unknown to me, with the most unique vibe, and right now it's the one I wanna hear more about. Plus, the guy directed Logan and I love that film so much.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    All of them, though Rey’s Jedi Order one might suck a lot if they elect to bring Ben back or worse have him force impregnate Rey Shimi style. No thanks to that.

Heir to the Empire is easiest to imagine with all the threads of Filoni’s projects coming together, even if it’s likely to see Ahsoka sacrifice herself.
    Maybe, they could do a STAR TREK PICARD since it's set 15 years later with her having a teen son but a "Who is the father?" mystery.

Kind of a bit more curious about the state of the galaxy at the time too. Sith/Empire or similar like the First Order, or something very different similar to the Vong from the books? Or their Disneyfied version the Grysk although it's possible the Thrawn stuff will deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Maybe, they could do a STAR TREK PICARD since it's set 15 years later with her having a teen son but a "Who is the father?" mystery.
    Oh gods. Let's not tempt the universe by putting the idea out there.

I didn't like where the sequels left the families. No problem with the Skywalkers being dead and gone, but if they're dead the Palpatine bloodline should've ended too. Just for narrative/thematic balance, to signal the end of the Jedi/Sith unbalance in the Force, yknow?

I suppose this gives Disney a chance to fix that by having Rey die or introducing a new Skywalker (maybe that is Mara in the Ashoka trailer?). Someone joked about Rey getting pregnant via the Force with Kylo Ren as the father and the idea is sickening. But I can absolutely see that happening too. And I suppose there could be a certain appeal in a Skywalker/Palpatine uber-Jedi? At least from certain circles who like the over powered stuff.

But the farther we get from the disgusting and toxic Kylo-Rey the better.

Kind of a bit more curious about the state of the galaxy at the time too. Sith/Empire or similar like the First Order, or something very different similar to the Vong from the books? Or their Disneyfied version the Grysk although it's possible the Thrawn stuff will deal with that.
    This is what has my interest. For the Skywalker saga to make sense, for Luke's actions to be (somewhat) justified, for all of it to accomplish what the Chosen One prophesy was supposed to.....things have to look pretty different in a galaxy far, far away.

There's no major government anywhere. Empire is dust, Republic is dust. No Sith, and the only Jedi left is a scavenger who was barely taught the basics. Most Jedi secrets are buried and lost, the original texts are gone.

There's a chance to rebuild things from the ground up in a way that honors what came before while going in a new direction, and the potential there is what has my attention. I'm hoping Rey and Finn get treated proper, to make up for the sequels being so bad, but more than anything the entire status quo of the franchise needs to be realigned, and done so in a way that's fresh without being a betrayal of the past. Hell of a fine line to walk and I'm curious if they'll pull it off.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The original texts were actually saved by Rey before Yoda zapped the tree. Rey used one of them (With Luke's annotations) for clues in the Exegol quest.

The Dawn of the Jedi one. Yeah, I know eventually things go sideways, a few times (not just the Skywalker Saga, but other events), but I'm more interested in how canon will establish the early Jedi order. I've seen quite a bit on Legends history, but current canon history should be interesting.

Plus, I'm done with Palpatine being "dead, but can come back lol!" and make the prophecy of Anakin, "bringing balance back, but lol, not really, it's Rey that totes does it!" crap that is either in the forefront, or lurking as a sort of hidden subplot.

...I will never be a fan of the overall direction Star Wars ultimately took.

I would vote "none" in that I'm equally somewhat interested in all of them, but not excited about any of them yet until I hear more. But I feel the "none" might be taken as "I have zero interest in any of them" and is the option for haters.

Either way, it's interesting that they're making a movie about the creation of the Jedi in the past and one in the "present" about the Jedi re-forming. I hope the creatives are talking to each other so that they work as parallel narratives - or at least that they don't contradict one another in some fundamental way. (I'm also wary about how much midi-chlorians will play into it and if they'll go with Lucas's original ideas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The Dawn of the Jedi one. Yeah, I know eventually things go sideways, a few times (not just the Skywalker Saga, but other events), but I'm more interested in how canon will establish the early Jedi order. I've seen quite a bit on Legends history, but current canon history should be interesting.

Plus, I'm done with Palpatine being "dead, but can come back lol!" and make the prophecy of Anakin, "bringing balance back, but lol, not really, it's Rey that totes does it!" crap that is either in the forefront, or lurking as a sort of hidden subplot.

Tython, which played a big role in the Legends version of the Jedi's origins, did appear in Mandalorian so it'll probably have a role to play, although I expect to see plenty of Ach-To in it's prime, especially considering the symbol of this era is the Prime Jedi fresco from TLJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

I don't get that gripe. Anakin being some chosen one was already a retcon anyway because they had no idea what Vader was at first. Choosing to vehemently adhere to one retcon over another when they've been making everything up as they went along seems pointless to me.

I voted none. Let me know when any of these movies have release dates. As it stands, I expect these movies to get cancelled in three years.

Yeah, that can happen. ROGUE SQUADRON seemed like a pretty done deal too, with even a sort of semi teaser with Patty putting on a Rebel pilot suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bLkTjn6Y_s