Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Legacy numbering and the X-books

Quick question: Since there is no Uncanny title currently, does the X-Men title that Duggan writes count towards the overall legacy numbering, so #663? Am I correct or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    Quick question: Since there is no Uncanny title currently, does the X-Men title that Duggan writes count towards the overall legacy numbering, so #663? Am I correct or no?
    I don’t think so it’s like a completely new volume
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

When Hickman’s X-Men #1 was originally solicited, they had legacy numbering from Uncanny on it. Hickman intervened and got it removed.

Quick question: Since there is no Uncanny title currently, does the X-Men title that Duggan writes count towards the overall legacy numbering
    It seems so (unless Hickman was against it, but since he's no longer in the x-office), mostly if they want to have a Uncanny X-Men #700 published next year.

X-Men vol.5 #1-21 (2019-2021) = Uncanny X-Men #645-665
    X-Men vol.6 #1-25 (2021-2023) = Uncanny X-Men #666-689

next :

X-Men vol.6 #26-36 (2023-2024) = Uncanny X-Men #690-700
    Last edited by Quill-Han-Vos; 04-08-2023 at 01:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Personally, I don't think X-Men should take Uncanny's legacy numbering when there were other adjectiveless X-Men books in the past, the same way adjectiveless Spider-Man takes Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man original numbering.

That said, the X-office doesn't seem to have much interest in the legacy numbering at all, unlike Tom Brevoort's and Nick Lowe's offices, so it's probably a non-issue until JDW is X-editor.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quill-Han-Vos View Post
    It seems so (unless Hickman was against it, but since he's no longer in the x-office), mostly if they want to have a Uncanny X-Men #700 published next year.

X-Men vol.5 #1-21 (2019-2021) = Uncanny X-Men #645-665
    X-Men vol.6 #1-25 (2021-2023) = Uncanny X-Men #666-689

next :

X-Men vol.6 #26-36 (2023-2024) = Uncanny X-Men #690-700
    That’s what I’m after, but what about the Rosenberg ‘Disassembled’ story, wasn’t that 19 or so issues? Coupled with the 21 from Hickman = 640, plus the 23 issues of the current series =663? Or again, is my math skewed? I’m after the #700th issue is why I’m pestering….

That’s what I’m after, but what about the Rosenberg ‘Disassembled’ story, wasn’t that 19 or so issues?
    The legacy numbering can be seen on the covers.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_5

Uncanny X-Men vol.5 (2018-2019) #1-22 = Uncanny X-Men LGY #620-644

I’m gonna go with the original Adjectiveless X-Men legacy which started in ‘91. Completely separate from Uncanny. If they publish a #700, then it will be completely messed up and can no longer go back.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

BANNED

holy cow, marvel is so greedy. I hated it when they ended it at 544, now they just cannot leave well enough. They should have more faith in their readers & products

I honestly don't know why they didn't just call Hickman's main X-Men book and the Main X-Men books Since "Uncanny X-Men". The adjectives are a fun part of Marvel's history that should be used as much as possible IMO.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

About Uncanny X-Men #700 (Duggan already has Iron Man & Uncanny Avengers, it could be a good moment for him to let someone else take over after that milestone) :

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I see a Legacy number on that last one although I can't quite make it out...
    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It says #687
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Ooh, so UXM #700 is definitely coming.

Fantastic Member

Any idea why Jonathan Hickman boycotted Legacy Numbers on his entire line?
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    I’m gonna go with the original Adjectiveless X-Men legacy which started in ‘91. Completely separate from Uncanny. If they publish a #700, then it will be completely messed up and can no longer go back.
    Since Marvel is never one to miss celebrating anniversary issues and Uncanny X-Men #700 is definitely coming, I think the most elegant solution to this would be for the book to get its "Uncanny" back with that issue, thus "revealing" it was Uncanny X-Men all along.
    Last edited by Uncanny X-Man; 04-15-2023 at 03:04 PM.

I don't get the obsession with legacy numbering to be honest. it doesn't feel like it matters so maybe this is more of a collector thing?

objectively speaking legacy numbering to me feels like your going back to the old, like look we are continuing uncanny at 700 but the story isn't a continuation so it doesn't make much sense.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Fantastic Member

As comic books are serialized linear storylines, Legacy Numbers help make sense of the madness that comes with fifteen different #1s.

When streamlined numbering went away, so too did a sense of brand consistency.
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"