Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Donna Troy as Wonder Girl when she dropped the Wonder Woman Jr. outfit and adopted the red leotard. I preferred it with the multiple stars extending from chest to thigh as designed by Nick Cardy. It was streamlined a lot by later artists -- though I didn't mind losing the jewelry which seemed a bit much.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I liked Aquaman's blue costume.

It was a good design for that mini-series. Loved that cover which was also used in a promo poster. I can see why it didn't last, but it was a very fresh take.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Nightshade's costume seems to change a lot from her original miniskirt look. The purple and black leotard job in Suicide Squad was a bit too generic for me, the pale skin and flowy half-dress in Shadowpact screamed emo/Goth a bit too much, the strapless bodysuit she had in the recent Deathstroke appearance feels too 90s Jim Balent-ish cheesecake for my liking, and the less said about the LAW look, the better.

But...her look by Ed Benes in the Superman/Batman book was a perfect modern update, in my opinion. Hearkens back to the original costume but sleeker and more practical, plus the purple-ish tint to the skin helps convey the shadowy nature of her powers better than pale skin does. Wish this one had stuck around longer.

Attachment 130882
    I'd go with the pants'd version of that Nightshade costume (skip the bikini line gold banding as in the first image - or move them slightly down to the thighs) and amp up purple-ish tint to the skin (as in the second and the original post).

Last edited by Thirteen; 06-07-2023 at 01:17 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I liked Aquaman's blue costume.

I liked it, especially at the time. But I prefer Garth's version by Jimenez.

Tempest-Garth-DC-Comics-Aquaman.jpg

I think Nightwing's costume has improved greatly from it's original design.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Extraordinary Member

I liked Adam Hughes' redesigns for Fire and Ice in JLA

Astonishing Member

For me the Cockrum update of Lightning Lad's look from cape to his iconic look that I prefer over all the "upgrades" that have come after it.

Two Hal Jordan ones, I loved the Bronze age upgrade of the green shoulder pads on the costume, regretfully DC has reverted back to the wife beater OG design
    and though I love Hal with the green shoulder's look Darryl Banks Parallax design, originally just going to be Hal's new look as a hero not called Green Lantern is one of my favorite redesigns ever, though liked to the whole Emerald Twilight thing, I long for the day Hal can reclaim the armor, without the yellow bug and villainy for his Super Saiyan form.

George Perez' upgraded look for Lex Luthor Perez, tha Goat's Lex armor is Lex's best look and though it has been updated many times over the years none of them were as pitch perfect as Perez'.

Back to the Legion, I always felt the Sensor Girl look was always cooler than the Princess Projecta looks that preceeded it.

Speaking of the Legion, I liked a lot of the "Legionnaires" redesigns, but Ferro Lad and Ultra Boy in particular. (which was used for his twoboot costume) It was similar enough to his silver/bronze classic, but adding the darker blue and green accents and adding brown bracers and boots instead of the ren-fair boots was an upgrade.
    490183-ultra_boy1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    One of my favourites has to be Wally West's updated Flash costume after his first few years in Barry's outfit. Small nuanced changes that kept the essence of the original suit but enhanced it greatly.

Yeah, too bad it was too nuanced for other artists to pick on the genius that was LaRoque's redesign. The texture of the suit, the larger chest symbol, the slightly lower cut boots, the thicker lightning on the wrists, the "obvious" V-belt, the white eye slots, the more stylized ear wings, etc.. most of it soon disappeared and onlt the V-belt and the white eyes remained, until they decided to bring back the old design for the eyes. A shame.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Speaking of the Legion, I liked a lot of the "Legionnaires" redesigns, but Ferro Lad and Ultra Boy in particular. (which was used for his twoboot costume) It was similar enough to his silver/bronze classic, but adding the darker blue and green accents and adding brown bracers and boots instead of the ren-fair boots was an upgrade.
    490183-ultra_boy1.jpg
    Yes, Jo is my favorite Legionnaire, and that is, IMHO, his best design ever (and his others are all pretty much awsome). I also loved the Legionnaire redesign for Ferro Lad. Too bad they also didn't use it in the Post-ZH reboot of Ferro, whose look was one of the blandest I've ever seen.

Peace

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Nightwing - Art Thibert designed Nightwing outfit with the yellow glider bits under the arms was inspired.

Flash - Wally's upgrade from Barry's original to the metallic crimson, white eyes and V belt is simply THE best costume update in comics.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Fire & Ice.
    Rocket Red with the Apokolips-upgraded armor.
    I liked the blue Aquaman suit, too... but Momoa-inspired Aquaman is probably my favorite.
    Bearded Starboy.
    Timber Wolf with the more human face.
    Tim Drake's first Robin suit.
    Lilith's green cloaked Omen outfit.
    Beast Boy's Changeling costume.
    Donna's red outfit with the stars.
    Gypsy's outfit in JLTask Force.
    Bronze Tiger without the mask.
    Perez's Zatanna costume.
    Red Tornado's red & yellow JLA outfit.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Red Tornado's red & yellow JLA outfit.
    That's a great one - I forgot he had a simpler look before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I liked it, especially at the time. But I prefer Garth's version by Jimenez.

Tempest-Garth-DC-Comics-Aquaman.jpg
    Personally, I thought Garth wore it better (IMHO):

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    For me the Cockrum update of Lightning Lad's look from cape to his iconic look that I prefer over all the "upgrades" that have come after it.

Two Hal Jordan ones, I loved the Bronze age upgrade of the green shoulder pads on the costume, regretfully DC has reverted back to the wife beater OG design
    and though I love Hal with the green shoulder's look Darryl Banks Parallax design, originally just going to be Hal's new look as a hero not called Green Lantern is one of my favorite redesigns ever, though liked to the whole Emerald Twilight thing, I long for the day Hal can reclaim the armor, without the yellow bug and villainy for his Super Saiyan form.

George Perez' upgraded look for Lex Luthor Perez, tha Goat's Lex armor is Lex's best look and though it has been updated many times over the years none of them were as pitch perfect as Perez'.

Back to the Legion, I always felt the Sensor Girl look was always cooler than the Princess Projecta looks that preceeded it.
    Very minor notes, Gil Kane settled on the green shoulders well before the bronze age, around... 65 I think, and Darryl Banks Parallax design (which is damn good, though I'd say the added cap really pulled it together) was done by the time they deiced to have Hal go villain, and even influenced the design a small bit. What was still leftover form the earlier "Hal internalizes his powers so stops being GL but is still a hero" plan was the stand in name for what he would be called. The Protector, not a great name, but it was always meant by the writer who came up with it as a place holder till they could figure out something better, though apparently the higher ups wanted to hold on to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marz and Banks
    Marz: Darryl was the one who came up with the name Parallax, and it's perfect. Hal's view of everything has changed, because of his perspective. For me, Hal was never a villain, he was at worst an antagonist or an anti-hero. I wanted the audience to feel like, 'Well, maybe he has a point here...'

To me, the best villains are the heroes of their own stories. That's why I generally was more attracted to Marvel villains than DC villains. The old rule of thumb was that Marvel villains wanted to rule to the world, DC villains wanted to rob banks.

I saw Hal as Parallax very much in the Magneto mold. He was convinced in the righteousness of his cause, and he was willing to do what was necessary to achieve his goals. He was very much a sympathetic character to me. All-powerful, but broken.

Banks: Parallax wasn't the villain he was perceived to be. Hal Jordan was pushed past his limit. Furious, yes. Evil, no. There was still a nobility about the purpose and one of the reasons I designed him with knight-like armor.

The word 'parallax' essentially deals with a different point of view. It is a literal line of sight term but I thought it was a fitting metaphor for Hal Jordan's transformation. Originally, DC wanted to name him 'The Protector' because they already owned that name. That just didn't fit with where we were going with the character and I had to put in writing why I liked the name Parallax better. Hal's decision to gain more power was actually noble in intent. With the design, I thought of it as an Arthurian 'Green Knight' approach. I like armor anyway!
    So very good call on Banks on pushing through a better name.

Extraordinary Member

Katana's black costume she has since the New 52, instead of the Red and Yellow Pre Flashpoint Version.

Flame Bird's (Bette Kane) costume from the late 90s (???) opposed to the version form the mid 80s.