Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That'd work, at least short term.

You hit on this yourself, but just saying that whole mess was the influence of the dyad/Palpatine/whatever is as clean a solution as we're gonna get. It's a simple, easy to understand workaround and it gets Rey free of it while acknowledging the experience as the domestic violence allegory it is, should they want to use that in any way.

I'd say this was the immediate aftermath of tRoS. But fifteen years later, Rey's moved on. And if they feel the need to protect Kylo Ren they could say it was influencing him too, though I'd dislike that personally. Just own the fact he was a little ****.

You're not thinking silly enough man. We know her dad was a Palpatine clone. But what do we know of Rey's mom? Rey's mom could be Luke's daughter, making Rey the super sayian offspring of both bloodlines.

Honestly, I could see some Hollywood type thinking that's a good idea. Or something to make Rey a Skywalker by blood anyway.

....it actually does make the story of Rey's parents interesting, I'll admit. Maybe Luke's Jedi daughter takes down a hidden remnant cloning faculty where she meets/rehabilitates a failed and discarded Palpatine clone. Doomed romance ensues. Real Romeo/Juliet.

It must be late, this is almost sounding acceptable.
    The dirty little secret about how multi-media franchises work and why someone could pull off something as obstinately obnoxious as retconning Rey's parentage for the third time in three films is this: it would exponentially increase the products you could make with major, significant characters.

If someone actually did retcon Rey back into being Luke's descendant, than Rey herself becomes a more significant, must-watch character for the franchise, anyone else involved in the circumstances of her birth becomes more significant and must-watch as a character, and it likely reinvigorates Luke as a character post-ROTJ and lets you tell new, "more epic" stories
    with him.

I could see like two to three major shows, cartoons, video games or movies you could birth from that right off the bat; that's how valuable the Skywalker Family IP is, and why making Kylo the only, doomed family member was unequivocally a bad business decisions, whether one thinks it was a solid artistic decision or not.

If this was comics, I would seriously place money on either that or Luke being resurrected as inevitable editorial decisions. As a film-based franchise, I think it's very unlikely because of professional embarrassment and conflict it would create for people who backed TLJ.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The dirty little secret about how multi-media franchises work and why someone could pull off something as obstinately obnoxious as retconning Rey's parentage for the third time in three films is this: it would exponentially increase the products you could make with major, significant characters.
    I know. As a narrative it'd be clunky and dumb but as a business move, it expands the franchise in several directions using the biggest name in the IP. I mean, if I were in charge? I'd at least have to consider it, that's a lot of potential revenue on the table.

it likely reinvigorates Luke as a character post-ROTJ and lets you tell new, "more epic" stories with him.
    I feel like the Mando era shows are already doing that, but yes this would open up a whole bunch of doors for him. Of course, with de-aging cgi still on the expensive side I dunno where those stories would go. Animation I guess?

As a film-based franchise, I think it's very unlikely because of professional embarrassment and conflict it would create for people who backed TLJ.
    Didn't they already do that? TRoS wrote Rose out of the story, backtracked on the "Rey's parents aren't important" thing, backtracked on Luke's statements about the Jedi...most of tRoS was just undoing what TLJ did. In this instance, professional pride and ego might not be major considerations?

But I'm not advocating for this to happen anyway. I can't deny there'd be benefits to it, but if we're only getting one Rey movie (and this is meant to be stand-alone, as I understand it?) I'd rather it look to the future than worry about screwing with the past.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-13-2023 at 07:45 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

There's some concept art for TFA of Rey in a moving X-wing using her lightsaber to cut through something above her, possibly part of the Starkiller reactor.

Now that she has Luke's old starfighter in addition to the Falcon wonder if we'll see her do that (Probably with her new yellow saber, as Luke's is currently buried).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I know. As a narrative it'd be clunky and dumb but as a business move, it expands the franchise in several directions using the biggest name in the IP. I mean, if I were in charge? I'd at least have to consider it, that's a lot of potential revenue on the table.

I feel like the Mando era shows are already doing that, but yes this would open up a whole bunch of doors for him. Of course, with de-aging cgi still on the expensive side I dunno where those stories would go. Animation I guess?

Didn't they already do that? TRoS wrote Rose out of the story, backtracked on the "Rey's parents aren't important" thing, backtracked on Luke's statements about the Jedi...most of tRoS was just undoing what TLJ did. In this instance, professional pride and ego might not be major considerations?

But I'm not advocating for this to happen anyway. I can't deny there'd be benefits to it, but if we're only getting one Rey movie (and this is meant to be stand-alone, as I understand it?) I'd rather it look to the future than worry about screwing with the past.
    Yeah, the main thing the story needs, regardless of anything lese, is making sure REY comes out more popular than she's been since TLJ, with whatever external and internal conflicts she can use for that. Even in a hypothetical "No, for real, Luke is actually her dad" story, you'd want to sell her emotional turmoil over losing a family she didn't even know she had first and foremost, and how that impacts *her* going forward, and any emotional catharsis of the story should be about her and not someone else.

Fans need to leave her film as excited about her next adventure as they were after TFA.

...Which is where I'd posit that any Ben Solo or Kylo Ren appearance should be regarded as something that needs to be restrained and well out of centerstage at most, and maybe even non-existent overall. There's some speculation (not rumors or leaks) that LFL wants to bring Driver back again, since he and the character *have* genuine popularity, and that LFL may even want to reference and reinforce Reylo... but I would argue that would almost certainly only further diminish their returns, and likely just mean that, yet again, Kylo would "steal" a film from Rey by parasitically leeching storytelling focus and marketing preference off of her for diminishing benefits.

Because I honestly think this is another dirty little secret, this time about TROS: I think it's critical backlash was significantly muted because LFL wanted to cater to Kylo fans at Rey and Finn's expense again, and did enough of that to quiet many TLJ fans, some of whom may have even realized that the complaints they wanted to make would reveal their skewed priorities. Outcry over Rose's demotion, for instance, was muted and belated likely because TLJ only used Rose as a tool to anchor Finn down away from Rey... so since Rey still made out with the school shooter, Reylo fans didn't really care (and KMT remains far mroe popular even among critics of Rose than the character herself). Similarly, Palpatine's appearance cancels out Kylo becoming the Big Bad, and Ben Solo says exactly zero words apart from "ow" when he appears... but Palpatine's appearance let's Driver be a "hero", and LFL gleefully promoted Driver as the Best Actor nominee for the film, even though Boyega and Issac both had more screentime than him.

And yet again, Finn was getting screwed by the story... and no one who liked TLJ complained about that happening in TROS unless they could cast shade on him having the Force now, and when Boyega called out the racist bullshit and hinted (along with some other BTS interviews and concept art from other people) that LFL might have interfered with TROS to cut down Finn's story, suddenly LFL actually got active in defending TLJ (but not TROS) with Jason Fry.

...I think the primary problem of the ST was that LFL at some point decided they'd rather make a movie about Adam Driver playing a Solo kid than anything else, and got severe, story-breaking tunnel vision over that. I'm hoping they don't have that anymore, but I'm aware that pride and conviction that "No, it's the children who are wrong" might still be at play here.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's some concept art for TFA of Rey in a moving X-wing using her lightsaber to cut through something above her, possibly part of the Starkiller reactor.

Now that she has Luke's old starfighter in addition to the Falcon wonder if we'll see her do that (Probably with her new yellow saber, as Luke's is currently buried).
    Possibly? It's a cool visual. Though I'd really rather Rey get her own ship. Chewie should keep the Falcon, obviously, and while I have no real issue with Rey keeping Luke's X-wing, it's a forty year old ship, girl could probably do with an upgrade.

Plus a cool new ship for Rey means more toys on the shelf. Maybe they could update the old Clone War era Jedi starfighters?

Are we expecting Chewie here? Or any of the other original trilogy characters? The droids? Any of them? Personally I hope we don't see Chewie, but hear that he finally went back to his wife and family.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, the main thing the story needs, regardless of anything lese, is making sure REY comes out more popular than she's been since TLJ

...I think the primary problem of the ST was that LFL at some point decided they'd rather make a movie about Adam Driver playing a Solo kid than anything else, and got severe, story-breaking tunnel vision over that. I'm hoping they don't have that anymore, but I'm aware that pride and conviction that "No, it's the children who are wrong" might still be at play here.
    From the sound of things, they at least recognize they need to refocus on Rey and *hopefully* course-correct the character. Whether their own pride will get in the way and force more Kylo on us....time will tell I suppose, though the fact that Driver hasn't been mentioned in any of this might be a good sign (or just a sign that he hasn't agreed to return yet).

Thinking about the potential Kylo-obsession still existing within the company....maybe it would be better if Rey did turn out to be Luke's daughter or granddaughter. Maybe that would be enough incentive to keep people focused on her. Or at the very least, introduce a new character who can be Luke's kid. Not necessarily good for Rey if she gets overshadowed (again) but a new legacy might at least keep them from going back to Kylo.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

LOL. there's no need to change the designs of the ships. at a practical level, there is virtually no technological advancement in Star Wars at all. they could just recycle existing designs and it would be fine.

but they'll have to create SOME new designs... because there are new toys to be sold!

on the other hand, some of the newer designs were terrible.
    to give a specific example:
    the MG-100 was a terrible design... because they were clearly based on the level bombers that use gravity to assist in the releasing their payload. (I'm going to assume that there is a techno-babble explanation for how the bombs are released from the bay... but even so)

there is no gravity in space! so, it doesn't make sense to have them act like level bombers. copy the time-tested and simple mechanic of dive bombers.

they could have had the bomb bays at the front of the ship and use thrust reversers at the moment of delivery. objects in motion tend to stay in motion. it would consume less energy, have a simpler mechanism, and would use very simple line-of-sight aiming. even if the ship were damaged on the way to the target, it would be more likely to deliver its payload with such a simple technique. it would also have the advantage of allowing people to deliver their payload further away from the target. if the pilot added some slight pitch, yaw, and roll during the release of the cargo you could get a pretty good spread of projectiles. it would make it quite difficult to get all of the bombs.

now I'm going to step back to point out a positive: Poe Dameron's X-wing with a belly mounted turret was actually a great idea.

but the overall designs don't really need to be changed. maybe just the mechanics and employment.