Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    To be fair, The Little Mermaid and Barbie attracted mainly a female audience. Also, the biggest audience for The Little Mermaid were black women. So, the success of these movies wouldn't prove that sexism between superhero fans isn't big, since these movies attract another type of audience.

Captain Marvel movie has a bigger male audience (55%). However, Captain Marvel was likely boosted due to being the movie before Endgame (and the post-credit scene in Infinity War). I don't think the character was really popular.
    Yes but as you pointed out Captain Marvel had 55% male audience, The Marvels has 63%, they lost female viewers instead of gaining or holding steady. Only 40% of women said they would recommended The Marvels according to exit polling. Yes there are sexist men who want it to fail but it isn't getting great reception from any group. You're right about the Endgame boost the movie doesn't make $1b if it came out any other time.

I am not shocked by the mediocre reviews. A lot about this film has looked very disappointing and cheap. It looks more like a CW DC show mixed with a Power Rangers series than a top tier comic book film made for cinema.

This is one of those circumstances of if a film looks awful, it may just be really awful.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    I am not shocked by the mediocre reviews. A lot about this film has looked very disappointing and cheap. It looks more like a CW DC show mixed with a Power Rangers series than a top tier comic book film made for cinema.

This is one of those circumstances of if a film looks awful, it may just be really awful.
    Friends of mine who went to an early screening told me the movie felt like it should have been an episode of one the streaming shows and it was on Love and Thunder levels of bad. I'll find out for myself once this hits D+

Don't buy "endgame boost' at all. Never did. Ant-man 2 was there also and didn't make a billion. There was alot of "marvels first female movie" hype at the time. Some even compared it to wonder womans hype pre release.

Alot of young girls dressed up as captain marvel that Halloween. Our library got a bunch of captain marvel kids books in also. My young niece got a captain marvel doll that year for christmas.

If it was endgame hype both this and ant-man would be billion films.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Friends of mine who went to an early screening told me the movie felt like it should have been an episode of one the streaming shows and it was on Love and Thunder levels of bad. I'll find out for myself once this hits D+
    I have no clue what movie your friend saw but it wasn't the Marvels.
    There is nothing about this movie that makes it like it she should've been an episode of a TV show.

The stakes are too big and they do way too much in the movie for that to be a statement that makes any sort of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post

You haven't seen the movie so you do genuinely have no clue what you're talking about here because all of that was wrong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Don't buy "endgame boost' at all. Never did. Ant-man 2 was there also and didn't make a billion. There was alot of "marvels first female movie" hype at the time. Some even compared it to wonder womans hype pre release.

Alot of young girls dressed up as captain marvel that Halloween. Our library got a bunch of captain marvel kids books in also. My young niece got a captain marvel doll that year for christmas.

If it was endgame hype both this and ant-man would be billion films.
    However, the promotion focus a lot more on Captain Marvel/Carol being relevant for Endgame (curiously, Ant-Man was more relevant at the end). I mean, Infinity War has post-credit scene teasing Captain Marvel. And her movie was released some months before Endgame. So, I think Captain Marvel was boosted by Endgame a lot more than Ant-Man.

Now, I think the first female lead movie in the MCU was also a boost for the box office, but I don't think so many women werer drawn to the movie or the character. As I said, 55% percent of the audience were men.

At the end, The Marvels (Captain Marvel sequel) seems to have a mostly male audience (63%). So, I don't think Captain Marvel was really popular between women.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-11-2023 at 10:36 AM.

However, the promotion focus a lot more on Captain Marvel/Carol being relevant for Endgame (curiously, Ant-Man was more relevant at the end). I mean, Infinity War has post-credit scene teasing Captain Marvel. And her movie was released some months before Endgame. So, I think Captain Marvel was boosted by Endgame a lot more than Ant-Man.

Now, I think the first female lead movie in the MCU was also a boost for the box office, but I don't think so many women werer drawn to the movie or the character. As I said, 55% percent of the audience were men.

At the end, The Marvels (Captain Marvel sequel) seems to have a mostly male audience (63%). So, I don't think Captain Marvel was really popular between women.
    That's not how you should be looking at that statistic. The question isn't about percentage of male viewers compared to female. It should be percentage of female viewers for other CBMs in comparison to female viewers of Captain Marvel. All CBMs will typically have a higher male percentile.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    That's not how you should be looking at that statistic. The question isn't about percentage of male viewers compared to female. It should be percentage of female viewers for other CBMs in comparison to female viewers of Captain Marvel. All CBMs will typically have a higher male percentile.
    45% female audience isn't especially big compared to other MCU movies.

Astonishing Member

Double post.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-11-2023 at 11:48 AM.

45% female audience isn't especially big compared to other MCU movies.
    Not claiming it is. My point was the initial comparison is wrong.

Astonishing Member

I think there's nothing wrong with the way the poster looked at that statistic. The Marvels is a heavily female dominated movie. The three lead heroes are female, the villain is a female, the major guest appearance is female. not to mention the film is directed by a female. No, more females should be watching The Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think there's nothing wrong with the way the poster looked at that statistic. The Marvels is a heavily female dominated movie. The three lead heroes are female, the villain is a female, the major guest appearance is female. not to mention the film is directed by a female. No, more females should be watching The Marvels.
    I didn't dispute anything you posted, so I don't think you get my point. What I'm saying is that if you want up tell the size of female fans for the Marvels then you need to compare it to female fans of other CBMs, not male fans. That's how you know of more or less women are showing up for it.

Astonishing Member

I didn't dispute anything you posted, so I don't think you get my point. What I'm saying is that if you want up tell the size of female fans for the Marvels then you need to compare it to female fans of other CBMs, not male fans. That's how you know of more or less women are showing up for it.
    Well, a 37% percent The Marvels audience being female is a little low compared to many other MCU movies. That said, the difference isn't so big either (as you said, superhero movies skew towards a male audience).

Still, The Marvels goal was clearly to attract a female audience. It didn't work.

Niffleheim

Successful female-led superhero movies of all-time have had a Steve Trevor, a young Nick Fury and Yon-Rogg as supporting characters or villain but we don't know what was behind Marvel Studios' choice with this lineup and again it's their right if they want to caltivate a different audience
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-11-2023 at 01:30 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Saw it and hated Dar-ben. She was one of the worst MCU villia and i think a large part of it was the actress whom just didnt sell it to me

The part with the prince was stupid and for such a hyped role, he felt insiginficant